Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New PC for CoH 2

Jeeboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jeeboz

I'm looking to buy a new PC mostly for Conpany of Heroes 2. My current PC can barely run the beta on minimum and upgrade would be impracticable. I'm looking into this newegg rig I would love any advice on whether this PC is worth it. I'd like to be able to run the more demanding games of the past few years (BF3, Witcher 2, etc.) but my main purpose will be to play CoH 2. I don't really care about maxing settings but I would like to be able to run most games at medium to high with a decent frame rate. I'm worried about the graphics card (NVIDIA Geforce GT 640 2GB) which I haven't heard great things about.

I hate to ask forums like this, somehow it feels rude but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

CoH 2 Requirements

• Processor: 2Ghz Intel Core2 Duo or Equivalent
    • Memory: 2GB RAM
    • Hard Disk Space: 20GB
    • Video Card: 256MB Direct3D 10 capable video card (GeForce 8800 or RadeonHD 2900)
    • Additional: Internet Connection
    OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By OfficeGamer

Shouldn't you wait for the game to be released and make sure, using the internet, that it will please you when you play it? I'd wait on buying a PC if I'm buying it for a game that isn't out yet.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By scroll

Well a quick look at benchmarks would show you that it can run Battlefield 3 fairly ok on the low presets. If you can afford to increase your budget then I'd upgrade to slightly more expensive card in the same range or an equivalent ATI card. Also I think the PSU in that bundle is a bit of a risk as well.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am always the guy who say, "Build your own PC." I still am going to say it and all; however, most people won't listen to me.

Here are some issues just from a quick look at the specs.

1. Power Supply. It is only 300w and if you wanted to upgrade in the future, guess what, you have to upgrade the PSU as well. Newegg doesn't even have a description on what kind of PSU it is, which is never a good thing.

2. With an addition to a low PSU. You will have a low voltage GPU. It would make sense the choice they made to go with Nvidia. I know most people would shy away from Overclocking. It is weird with this GPU in particular because it is using GDDR3 instead of the common GDDR5, which is in most graphic cards today. It is funny as well, they recommend a minimum 350 Watt Power Supply and guess what, the computer only has 300w. :p

3. They do not put the name of the MOBO (It is an AsRock Board and man it is cheap.) and Ram they are using. I always tell people to never buy a product, especially computer parts that does not have a name behind it. Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI are just a few of the many good companies that make quality parts. I know it is an AMD board because it uses AM3+, which you can definitely upgrade to a better CPU. Not knowing the board though, it may not even be worth it. Okay, it definitely won't be worth it.

4. This is myself being picky, but it doesn't even have a single 3.0 usb port. :p

5. It does not have the Wi-fi. Of course, you could always add one, but I am just saying.

6. I strongly dislike pre-made computers.

There are still more points I could go on, but it is your decision. If you feel that it is okay, then go ahead.

If you want benchmarks, go on Tom's Hardware of surf Youtube. There will always be benchmarks for all graphic cards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.