Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New PC Specs Help!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Hamz

So it has been roughly half a decade since I last had to consider buying a new PC or even bother keeping up-to-date on the current affairs and latest hardware for gaming PC's. However with Windows 7 coming out sometime this year and with my current gaming PC begining to get a little long in the tooth as the ARMA 2 demo showed. I've been looking into possible specifications for a new gaming PC.

Now I'm not looking to create a supercomputer here. Nothing Skynet-ish or Transformer-ish in nature, just a robust and reliable gaming PC that doesn't feel absurdly overpowered to run games and everyday use of varied applications and programs.

Below is what I came up with while looking through ComputerPlanet and customising my own build from some preset configurations they have. In total the below build comes to £747.50 inc VAT which seemed rather reasonable to me. But the big question is if the parts I picked below are considered 'OK' or 'good enough' for todays PC gaming market.

Computer Case Cooler Master Centurion 590 
    CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (2 x 3.0 GHZ) 1333FSB - 6 MB  
    Motherboard ASUS P5N-D S/L 1333FSB (NVIDIA 750i) 
    Memory Corsair XMS2 4GB PC-6400 800 MHZ (2 x 2 GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR2)  
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 - 896MB - 2xDVI/VGA (XFX) 
    Power Supply OCZ 600W Stealth XStream - Low Noise 
    Hard Drive 1 1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 32MB 
    Optical Drive 1 Samsung (S222A) DVD PLUS/-RW 22x Dual Layer - Black (IDE) 
    Sound Card Motherboard Integrated 5.1 Sound 
    USB Ports 4 X USB 2.0 Ports 
    CPU Heatsink Speeze QuadroFlow VIII - Low Noise 
    Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included) & Windows 7 Upgrade Voucher 

So what do you all think, good or bad? Opinions and feedback most welcome. And if anyone can explain to me what the different between RAID 1, RAID 0 and 'no' RAID configuration on the HDD means I'd be most grateful.

Also I think if you click the little 'i' icons you should be able to bring up the site's information on those components if anyone is interested in finding out some info about them.

Cheers!
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Just glancing over it, it looks pretty good.

With RAID...RAID 0 treats multiple hard drives as one large fast drive. RAID 1 is a redundant setup where essentially you have two duplicate drives so that if one fails, you still have all of your data.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Absurd

1 TB is so much, I only have 150 GB right now :P

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By Forcen

I have the same graphics card, and it works great with every game i have tried in 1080p.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By PowerSerj

That looks like a pretty solid build. Should run 99% of games maxed out at 1680x1050.

As for RAID configurations, it mostly has to do with fail-safing your data. IIRC RAID 1 is duplicating the data from one drive onto another. Or maybe that's RAID 0. : /

W/e, one does that, the other distributes the data between drives for faster read times. Other ones combine that. And then there are like a billion other configurations that are entirely unnecessary to 99.5% of the population.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @PowerSerj:
    You're correct. RAID 1 is a set of two mirror drives. If one fails you have an exact duplicate to fall back on, and you don't lose any data. RAID 0 essentially makes your PC treat two drives as one large fast drive. If either drive fails though, you're pretty much looking at total data loss. There are also some very high end setups like RAID 5, RAID 6, etc. but unless you're filling up a small server rack those shouldn't concern you.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hamz

So essentially RAID 1 / 0 options are only needed or to be considered if you have two or more drives installed? I take it that is why the site automatically chose 'No Configuration' in the RAID options for me then since I picked one single drive? Does choosing no RAID option have any ups or downs?

And while 1TB seems like absolute overkill. I figured it is better to have more space and not use it than find myself wanting more space but not having any like I am experiencing now.

Cheers for all the responses so far, feel free to rip my build apart if you want. The more feedback the better, I've got roughly five years of revision to catch up on lol.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PowerSerj

Not having any RAID configuration is fine. It's only necessary if you are worried about losing any important data (in the case of RAID 1), or if you have boatloads of space and want slightly better performance out of your multiple drives (RAID 0).

Also, your build looks fine. Mobo's got 2 PCI-X x16 slots in case you ever feel like throwing another 260 in there. Corsair makes solid RAM, the E8400 is pretty amazing for a dual core proc, and OCZ power supplies are really reliable (I have a GameXStream). The only thing that stands out to me is your heatsink, as I've never heard of Speeze before, but that's not really anything to worry about. So no worries.

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By timay

Only problem i see is that 32bit vista. Should have got the 64bit if its OEM. The key will work with 64 bit discs if you find one but without it that 4th gb of memory is wasted.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Looks good, but I would get 64bit vista to utilize all of your ram.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond

That setup is very close to what I ordered and just received today.  The company I ordered from (AVADirect, not an option outside the US?  I dunno) did a fantastic job with the wiring and stuff.

Anyways, I ordered some different stuff, a Gigabyte mobo instead of Asus, G.Skill RAM instead of Corsair.  Only major difference is I got a GTX260 core 216, might be worth looking into, probably can't cost much more ($10-$20?)

Crysis is running at around 30fps on all very high without tweaking, so yea specs should be good enough, at least for a while.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PowerSerj
    @timay said:
    " Only problem i see is that 32bit vista. Should have got the 64bit if its OEM. The key will work with 64 bit discs if you find one but without it that 4th gb of memory is wasted. "
    Crap, I missed that. Ya, if you plan on using all 4 gigs of RAM you should get a 64bit OS. Otherwise you'll end up using only about 3.5 gigs or something around there.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By atejas

You should get a quad-core, if you ask me.
    And if you're getting Vista, you might as well get 64 bit.

Other than that, great.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PowerSerj
    @Diamond: Just curious, is your mobo the UD4H model?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Diamond
    @PowerSerj said:
    " @Diamond: Just curious, is your mobo the UD4H model? "
    UD3L, no RAID, no SLI or crossfire.  Didn't really want those options.

I'm impressed with the on board sound btw.  Maybe it's just the way Vista handles audio though.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By subject2change

Silly not going i7. Also go Vista 64bit not 32, limiting your RAM until Win 7.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

Antec 900 FTW.  They're cheap and keep the system very cool.  Only downside is dust.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hamz

I probably should point out I am in no way going out to order or buy this PC build today, tomorrow or next week. Infact I won't buy a new PC until Win7 is officially out on shelves. This is more of a "hey guys and girls, I've been out the loop for so long I need some feedback to find out if I'm going in the right direction with what a new gaming PC should have". And clearly I'm half-way there it seems, the feedback from pretty much all of you has been great.

I understand 4GB of Ram won't physically be used by a 32bit OS. However I was under the impression 32bit used around 3.5/4GB of Ram? Seems alright too me, I've got little love for Vista or 64bit OS's. So hence the waiting on Win7 which I hear is pretty badass and should recognise 4GB of Ram on the 32bit version?

As for either going for a Quad Core or a newer i7 CPU from Intel. I did consider a Quad Core (i7 isn't one of the options to select from for this particular priced configuration) but honestly I can't imagine I'd have much use for a Quad Core. I'm not seeing Quad Core's as vital components for most new PC games, I think Dragon Age is the only one that mentioned it. Either way if someone could recommend a similar priced Quad Core to the Dual Core I have picked above, then please do :)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks

It looks fine, but you might want to opt for the e8500 and get so much more from a OC. Also, I would get a good soundcard too. if your on a tight budget I would pick up a cheap second hand tested card from somewhee like CeX

should recognise 4GB of Ram on the 32bit version?

I think you need to be running the 64bit to take advantage of it. On the 32 bit versions after all the updates it will list 4 gig on your spec screen, but only 3.3 is actually useable.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RsistncE
    @Hamz: I would swap out the dual core for a quad core because there are multi-threaded games out now and they will only continue to gain support in the future. Also I would go for an i7, but if you can wait I'm hearing new tech rumblings from intel coming down here in the Fall, so those i7's should be available for a much prettier price.

Opt for 64-bit Windows (since the memory address space in 32-bit is only 4 gigs INCLUDING other system memory like video cards etc., so in reality windows will detect probably around 3 of that ram). Basically you'll need a 64-bit OS if you want a bigger memory address space than 4 gigs, this goes for Windows 7, Vista, XP etc. I would personally wait until you can get an OEM copy of 64-bit Windows 7 included with your build.

Also swap out the 260 for a 275. There's way more bang for your buck with the 275 (you get near, and sometimes matching, 285 performance levels for a hell of a price).
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks

It is true that games are now being coded to run on multi core CPU's much better now, Intel sent reps around to some of their business partners in the development community early last year in February, to help improve techniques and utilize the technology better.. the benefit should be seen in games later this year. 

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By matthew

Just like everybody has said, your build looks great.  You've got some pretty informative answers here.  But one thing I suggest (and I personally plan on doing) is holding off building until USB 3.0 is out.  By that time, 7 will be out, the core i7's are going to be lower, and the graphic cards I want now are going to be dirt cheap.  You've already said that you plan on waiting a few months to build, but if there is one major piece of tech to look for (imo) is the USB three-oh.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By subject2change

The Q6600 is close price to an E8400 and if you spend a little more a Q9550 is about 80 bucks more for a Quad 2.83 which is what i'd go with personally if you aren't going i7. As it's the second best CPU that isn't an extreme model for a socket 775 motherboard and is significantly cheaper than a Q9650.

Also i7 isn't on the selected menus because it requires a different motherboard due to socket types as well as DDR3 RAM.

And personally wouldn't go with a 1TB drive; i'd go smaller and get a second drive as a TB for storage. OS drive for games and apps and a storage drive for media.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By subject2change

Don't know the exchange rate or whatever but thats what I came up with from your site for an i7 build;

Ex VAT:

£975.78
    Inc VAT:
    £1,122.15
    FREE DELIVERY!

Computer Case ANTEC Nine Hundred Gamers Case - Black 
    CPU Intel Core i7 920 D0 (2.66GHz) 8 MB 4.8GT/s 
    Motherboard Asus P6T SE (Intel X58) 
    Memory Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) XMS3 1600MHz CAS 9 (DDR3) 
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 - 896MB - 2xDVI/VGA (XFX) 
    Power Supply OCZ 700W Game XStream - Low Noise 
    Hard Drive 1 500 GB SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 16MB 
    Hard Drive 2 1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 32MB 
    Optical Drive 1 ASUS (DRW-2014L1T) DVD /- RW 22x - Black - Lightscribe (SATA)  
    Sound Card Motherboard Integrated 7.1 Sound 
    Firewire Card 1 Port Firewire IEEE 1394 (Built In)  
    Networking Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready) 
    USB Ports 10 X USB 2.0 Ports 
    CPU Heatsink Zalman (CNPS9900) Blue LED Tunnel Flower ** ULTIMATE COOLING ** 
    Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included) & Windows 7 Upgrade Voucher 
    Security Software No Security Software Included 
    Backup Solution Standard Operating System Backup

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Snail

That looks pretty great. That is a lot better than my computer and I can run Crysis at Very HIgh/High specs. You should do great with that for about 4 years or so.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cspiffo
    @Hamz:

- Raid 0 is like breaking your data apart and writing each piece to seperate drives all at the same time.  The two drives will act as if it is one giant drive.  2 1TB drives will show up as 1 2TB drive. You will get super fast read/write speeds but if one drive fails your data is toast.

- Raid 1 is writing your entire data twice to 2 seperate drives.  It is redundant and is good as an automatic backup of your data stored on the drive because if one drive fails the other will continue to operate.  You can then replace the bad drive as if nothing ever happend.  The 2 drives will act as one drive with half the space between them; 2 1TB drives will show up as 1 1TB drive.  You will have super fast read speeds but super slow write speeds (data has to be written twice).

So if you have data that you don't care about archiving and want the best speeds possible  then go with Raid 0.  If you have very important data that you want archived go with Raid 1.

Your best bet is to get a small super fast 10,000 rpm or SSD Hard disk drive for your OS.  Then use 2 larger, slower drives in a raid 1 array for your data storage.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By subject2change

I went with the same card he originally had; would personally go GTX280 or GTX275 if gaming at 1920x1080 however. Also went with a pretty basic on the motherboard because if you aren't gonna be running 12 HDDs and junk that board is good. And I run that same exact power supply for 2 Graphics cards; GTX280 and 8800GTS G92 (Physx Card) and it's done great; I like to be extra safe and go with more power than is currently needed.

However yes that system should be rock solid for a few years; maybe in 2 you'd want a graphics card upgrade as thats what I generally do every other generation of card or so I go for the next mid level 200-300 card.

Once more games are multicore enabled I will be personally upgrading to a Q9550 (or Q9650 pending price) and cooler master V8 from an E8400 (OC'd to 3.6 currently) and ZEROTherm Nirvana. Wish I would of waited for i7s to be released before I built my system; o wells.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Gtx260, core 216 version, it has more cores and runs faster.

Yeah the next post is correct, I forgot it was called stream processors or whatever, you know what I mean.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By subject2change

Data Storage i'd say run Raid 5; buy a 3rd drive and get more storage out of it and you can always expand to more drives. Raid 10 is even safer if you are that worried, personally run 5 Hard Drives with 0 backup; many of the drives are old as well if they start to act funky i'll be sure to get a new drive to back up to.

Core216 doesn't have more "Cores" it has more stream processors; 216 compared to the 196 or so on the standard model. Worth the premium cost for a 216 model however compared to a regular. Could also go to a GTX280 if you plan to play at 1920 reso or greater.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By armaan8014

Your PC's gonna fly..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.