No audio when plugging my xbox into my laptop through HDMI

#1 Posted by KDerz (8 posts) -

I am having an issue with getting sound out of my Alienware m17x(laptop) when I connect my xbox 360 Elite to it with an HDMI cable. I am plugging it into the HDMI input and I am getting video and everything, but just no audio. Is there any way to get audio through my computer speakers, or any other way?

Thank you.

#2 Posted by TruthTellah (9396 posts) -

@KDerz: Wait, so, why are you connecting your 360 and laptop via HDMI? Is your 360 not hooked up to a TV where the sound might be going?

#3 Posted by KDerz (8 posts) -

@TruthTellah: I am hooking my xbox up to my laptop via HDMI because the only other available tv is a standerd tv and I cant stand playing some games without HD, therefore I am trying to use my HD laptop screen to play those games.

#4 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Set your xbox digital output to stereo instead of surround and see if that works. EDIT: Or maybe you have to choose another playback or recording device from the windows sound control panel.

#6 Posted by TruthTellah (9396 posts) -

Ah, I see. I agree with Mr.Klorox's recommendations unless you've already tried those. Sounds like your laptop isn't reading the Xbox as the current sound input.

#7 Edited by Benny (1955 posts) -

I'm pretty sure you haven't gotten anything thus far because that HDMI port is only connected to your GPU and the GPU wont pipe the sound through to your speakers because it can't process sound. Simple as that.

You need a thing that lets you split the HDMI into 2 sources and plug one into the GPU and one into your sound system.

I'm guessing there is a thing that would convert HDMI input to some other audio input that you could put into your laptop.

#8 Posted by Andorski (5351 posts) -

@Benny said:

I'm pretty sure you haven't gotten anything thus far because that HDMI port is only connected to your GPU and the GPU wont pipe the sound through to your speakers because it can't process sound. Simple as that.

You need a thing that lets you split the HDMI into 2 sources and plug one into the GPU and one into your sound system.

Not sure how it works for Alienware laptops, but I have my desktop PC hooked up to my HDTV via HDMI cable connecting to the GPU and it sends out the sound signal.

#9 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

@Andorski: In this case it is like going backwards though and expecting the GPU to split it for you. I don't think it's possible.

I googled it just now and I guess some ATI cards have sound processors onboard and nvidias don't (or maybe not, most likely on a card by card basis.) Apparently in the case of Nvidia cards the motherboard and processor pipe the signal from the sound card to the HDMI port on the GPU. It wont work backwards though.

I have a ATI GPU in my laptop and have hooked it up through HDMI to my tv and gotten both sound and video from it. I'm 99% sure it wont work going backwards though.

#10 Posted by mlarrabee (3027 posts) -

I'm amazing you're getting video. That HDMI port on the laptop should be output only.

#11 Edited by Toxeia (730 posts) -

Was coming in to say what MrKlorox said. Right click on your sound icon on the system-tray, select "Recording Devices." From there you should find something that corresponds to your HDMI port. Right click, go to properties, and select the Listen tab. You'll find a check box for "Listen to this device." Once you check that box and click on apply it'll start to pipe sound through your speakers/headphones, what have you. PICTURES TO FOLLOW.

All I had for input was my microphone, my apologies. It should be the same otherwise though.

#12 Posted by KDerz (8 posts) -

@Toxeia: Thanks man you were really helpful and now I got it working. Now i can resume Skyrim while being able to see the whole screen :P

#13 Posted by CIWS01 (1 posts) -

@mlarrabee: I don't know about your laptop but my M17x R3 has both HDMI IN and HDMI Out ports.

I see the OP has solved the issue, but just had to comment that at least for my own system, it is common for me to have to Disable and Enable my HDMI audio IN and the selected speakers again at times. For some odd reason the system "forgets" these options are enabled. Enjoy Skyrim, Lots of fun on the PC for that one!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.