Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Notebook LCD hardware problem...any ideas? (Pic inside)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

My Dell Studio XPS 16 has been doing this for quite some time...I was hard on this laptop, and it lasted me about 10 months before the screen started doing this. The image you see here isn't static, it flickers, and I can get it to stop if I get the LCD panel in just the right position. Sometimes I have to tap it or flex it a little in order to get it into the sweet spot, but once it's there it's fine.  

Unfortunately, I missed the hardware warranty expiration by two weeks. Any ideas? I haven't opened it up to check connections or anything yet, just wondering if this is a common issue or one that someone out there has seen before? Thanks!  

No Caption Provided
    tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2  Edited By tofford

When looking for a problem with my XPS M1530 I found out there is a known issue with the graphics card in mine. If you have the same card you get an extended 2 year warranty with it so look into that.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

problems of that nature tend to be the graphics card and not the monitor or lcd screen. Source gives screwed up signal, the screen just displays screwed up image. Hopefully you ain't got no integrated graphics on your rig and instead have an actual graphics card to potentially replace. 

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mike
    @StaticFalconar: It's a Mobility Radeon HD3870 or something like that. Is that replaceable? 
    UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

Seems like you have one of the following: 

Most likely: corrupted graphics software 

OR: Damaged video card / components 

Nothing is likely wrong with your screen. It's also entirely possible that your cabling is simply loose inside the machine too.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @MB said:

" @StaticFalconar: It's a Mobility Radeon HD3870 or something like that. Is that replaceable?  "

Its a high chance its replaceable but since its a Dell (meaning how the components are put together is done in a way that only Dell understands) you are most likely going to have to have Dell do the replacing or a shop that has experience with Dell laptops. IMO, if the replacement cost is half the price of a new laptop that is an upgrade, maybe its just time to get a new one. There of course still a minimal chance it could be a lose cable or something, but that should be seen after you dropped the laptop or something to potentially make the cables lose.  

EDIT: Laptop parts are usually harder to find and buy seperately, so they may be priced higher then they should be. 
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mike
    @RiotBananas: I actually already bought a new MacBook Pro as my primary notebook...just still looking to use this semi-functional machine for something without spending any money on it. Maybe I'll just hook it up to an external monitor or use the HDMI port and run it to my TV for something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.