Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

nVidia adds driver level game catpure for GTX 600+ owners

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sweetz

So this is pretty cool. In drivers released today, nVidia added built in video capture for owners of 600 & 700 series cards. It uses a hardware encoder on these cards to capture video with a significantly reduced performance penalty versus traditional capture software.

I just tested it out and I'm really damn impressed. Tested it out on everyone's favorite game starring Zobek and there was absolutely zero performance impact despite being captured at 1080p, 60fps. The thing is incredibly simple to use, you just turn it on, set your shortcut key and what folder you want to save to and you're good to go. It's already pretty much the best and easiest game capture software I've ever used.

Only downside - right now you have to capture at 1080p, 60fps. I.e. you can't change the capture resolution or framerate to save on filesize. As such, 11 minutes at even the "Medium" quality preset was 1.95GB

YouTube appears to be having problems at the moment and is still processing my upload, but provided it ever finishes chewing on it, my test video should be here:

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

That's pretty cool, it's strange that the AMD vs Nvidia rivalry is turning out more interesting than the PS4 vs XB1 to me now.

buemba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By buemba

Tried it with the Star Citizen hangar alpha and Saint's Row IV and I'm very impressed with the quality of the capture. In Star Citizen I noticed my framerate dropped a few digits while in Saint's Row IV the video capture had no perceptible impact on the game's performance.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Hey, cool. I'll try this out for sure.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I'll try recording stuff more now that its simple to get good quality/smaller sized files.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Looks like I get to try this out. :D

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@buemba said:

Tried it with the Star Citizen hangar alpha and Saint's Row IV and I'm very impressed with the quality of the capture. In Star Citizen I noticed my framerate dropped a few digits while in Saint's Row IV the video capture had no perceptible impact on the game's performance.

It shouldn't have any provided you write the capture to a different hard drive. All this stuff uses the dedicated on board h.264 encoder/decoder to do the leg work so it's completely isolated, realistically it should have the same performance impact of downloading a BD quality movie in the background.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Wow. Now I'm extra happy I went with Nvidia. I was able to generate a piece of footage with nearly zero effort (simply hitting alt+F10 will give you a clip of the last few minutes), and no perceptible hit to performance. This seems pretty great.

Here's my pointless video!

Loading Video...

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jsnyder82

Yeah, I'm super impressed with this. I tried it out on a few games, it's super easy to use, and the quality is really impressive. Good stuff.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sweetz

@korwin said:

@buemba said:

It shouldn't have any provided you write the capture to a different hard drive. All this stuff uses the dedicated on board h.264 encoder/decoder to do the leg work so it's completely isolated, realistically it should have the same performance impact of downloading a BD quality movie in the background.

Constantly grabbing the contents of the framebuffer and whatever they do to capture audio will have some performance impact. However, it's safe to say it's an order of magnitude lower than any other video capture software out there.

preaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool stuff.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP video capture software.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

While this seems great, for online video 720p is the sweet spot compromise between quality and performance both bandwidth-wise and size of the file capture-side. If they find a way to essentially do this but make the compression great (assuming non-native render at 720p), then it's double great. Assuming that's not an issue of course, then I love that they threw this in there.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is actually pretty cool. those moments when something dumb happens and you wish you had got it on camera but oiously not going to record every single time you play. i might actually use this

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kinda bummed it's limited to 1080p, because my PC is currently connected to a 720p TV ( I'm upgrading soon), so while it does record, the video quality looks worse than fraps. There wasn't any performance hit testing it out Bioshock Infinite at Ultra, but there isn't one with fraps either. The only real advantage is the file size. A 30fps fraps video is like 1gb per minute, this was far less at 60fps.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PillClinton

Gah, I just updated yesterday. Damn cool, though. I'm assuming this also does screenshots? Hopefully in .png? Now if only they built in a frame rate overlay... I could finally ditch Fraps for good.

Edit: Nope, no screenshots. But there's a fat skeuomorphic switch to turn on ShadowPlay!

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i never record anything. now i might. well played nvidia!

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That's pretty nice. I wouldn't say it is that great since they keep saying "up to 20 minutes", but still nice.

There was probably more on that page I should have read, but I couldn't stop staring at this:

No Caption Provided

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By korwin

@tycobb said:

That's pretty nice. I wouldn't say it is that great since they keep saying "up to 20 minutes", but still nice.

There was probably more on that page I should have read, but I couldn't stop staring at this:

No Caption Provided

That's million bucks.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this only recording? No live streaming capture?

sixnahalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the best video card ever releases on the market. Most of my video card comes from nvidia they always produce best quality and hardware for pc. :D

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@tycobb said:

ShadowPlay automatically records the last 20 minutes of gameplay if it's turned on. You can capture unlimited footage if you activate it manually.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this only recording? No live streaming capture?

Still in beta, I believe direct twitch streaming has been mentioned.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So was your capitalization in the title a typo or is that some iPod style capitalization shenanigans? Because if its the latter I need to rethink which brand of video card I get.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So was your capitalization in the title a typo or is that some iPod style capitalization shenanigans? Because if its the latter I need to rethink which brand of video card I get.

Back in the day they used to spell with with a lower case 'n'. The current logo is just all caps.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's awesome. I'm glad I bought a 670 last christmas :D so this will affect performance far less than, say, FRAPS?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's awesome. I'm glad I bought a 670 last christmas :D so this will affect performance far less than, say, FRAPS?

You probably won't even notice

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried it last night and it's pretty cool as a starter. It's not going to pull me away from Dxtory for dedicated recording quite yet though.

It needs some more features and whilst it sounds awesome to be able to save the last X mins of gameplay, I've found it inconsistent with games it records and there's currently no way of telling without the symbol always turned on. It would be nice if I could press a button to toggle the overlay on/off in game, for example.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

Expect an influx of terrible, but now high quality youtube gameplay videos coming soon!

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Loading Video...

Tested it earlier this morning. It runs like a charm. Hopefully, this will entice people who've never thought of capturing game footage to do so. No professional is going to flock to this, but for the average consumer who just so happens to have the right equipment this is some good entry-level stuff.

As for me, well, I now have a better tool for capturing stupid broken gameplay whenever it comes to me. :D

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EXTomar

For the love of everything good and holy, thank you! I have had to rig a setup that involved using a "mirror" of the primary display to the secondary display, the secondary display through a HDMI output to BlackMagic Intensity and BMI to capture software and then to whatever to get this thing to work. If I can just skip all of that and go from primary display to capture, it would make things so much easier and better!

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sweetz
    @soap said:

Expect an influx of terrible, but now high quality youtube gameplay videos coming soon!

There's already been a huge boom, my terrible video included. People are just playing with it now though. Eventually it will settle back to the nominal levels, but maybe it enables some good/entertaining people to produce stuff when previously they wouldn't not have had the knowledge or patience to mess with dxtory or similar.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, that sounds pretty cool! I'll have to check that out, if only to archive any weird bugs I come across.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

RIP video capture software.

Finally.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been using this feature with my 660 and love it.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I messed around with it for the first time tonight, and there are two issues I came across. First, I'm running Windows 7 64bit, and I'm limited to 10 minutes of shadow recording, and manual recording just shut itself off once the file size got to 3.99GB (about 11 minutes). Secondly, it was pretty picky about how it handled the games I tried with it. I couldn't use borderless fullscreen, and alt-tab would stop the recording. I think I'll stick to OBS for now until some of that stuff hopefully gets sorted out in beta.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.