Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Nvidia Drivers Version 275.33 GPU Scaling is a great feature!

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By defaulttag

If you go to your nvidia control panel and go to desktop size and position, you can force GPU scaling, which is a new feature.

Before this, When I try to play Starcraft 1 or Diablo I and II, the 4:3 image has parts cut off completely. Same thing with Plants vs Zombies. I switch my TV settings from 16:9 to 4:3 for these games, but even then, the image is cut off for some reason.

With GPU scaling set to 'aspect ratio' the image for these games is corrected and the signal on the TV is still 1920x1080 (1080p) no longer a cut off image of 800x600

I also tried this with newer games. I lowered my resolution in The Witcher 2 for performance purposes. Before, I would play at a signal of 720p to my HDTV (1360x768 in game resolution). With GPU scaling, the game is upscaled to a more decent 1080p image while retaining framerate (smoother).

IMHO, GPU scaling looks better than having your Monitor/TV upscale the image (or maybe it depends on your TV)

Try it GB, perhaps it allows for better performance in some games while still retaining a decent upscaled image.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Trying to get my head around it, so if I play a game that's like 4:3 aspect ratio, it will upscaled and correct the aspect ratio to 1080p? 

I never tried resolutions lower than 1080p, so I don't know what it looks like. I have an idea, it's usually blurry and warpped. 

Post a screenshot telling me what to change and stuff, so I can visualize it. For adjust the desktop size and position, I just have it on auto select. My hdtv monitor already has a separate upscaling feature and different levels of sharpness for lower rez stuff.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Marz

actually... i did not notice this at all...  thanks for the heads up, i'll see how it looks on Metro 2033

*edit*  oh wait... they just changed the interface... hasn't this always been there.  it was just called Nvidia Scaling.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By defaulttag

@HitmanAgent47: It will have the proper black bars on the left and right side, yet the signal is 1080p although the game is at a very low 4:3 aspect ratio resolution (800x600 or 640x480). It's essentially been properly upscaled. I guess my HDTV doesn't support 800x600 or 640x480 completely because I get missing parts at the top and bottom. It has the proper black bars, but parts of the game are missing from the top and bottom (like the SC in-game UI). try it out with something like SC1 or Diablo 1.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @defaulttag: just take a picture of your hdtv and show me what your talking about. I can't visualize your description right now. Use a few examples.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@HitmanAgent47 said:

@defaulttag: just take a picture of your hdtv and show me what your talking about. I can't visualize your description right now. Use a few examples.

WTF dude. You can visualise it just fine. It's GPU scaling and it's been a feature of Nvidia drivers since like 2005.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By defaulttag

@HitmanAgent47: I don't have a camera lol. Using print screen will still take a pic of the native res of the game.

@SeriouslyNow: I did not know they've had that before. I just read it as a new bulletpoint in the new drivers. I decided to try it out. Starcraft 1 and other lower-res games can be upscaled by the GPU to 1080p (or any other monitor's native res). My TV doesn't upscale those resolutions very well (cuts some parts off). It works well with newer games as well. Having a lower-res setting in the game yet forcing and upscale to 1080p. Sure it's somewhat similar to what consoles are doing, but at least it looks way better. Let's say you have awesome framerates at 1600x900 for a game, but it gets choppy at 1920x1080. Using this allows the 1600x900 image to be upscaled. Which actually looks decent and pretty close to the regular internal resolution of 1920x1080.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@defaulttag: I know how it works, It's the same tech in the PS3 which does the upscaling.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Well my hdtv does have like left and right black bars. I also have different scaling settings to widen the picture a bit and trying to make it semi normal. I think sony hdtvs has this feature too, wide mode or something. But what's so special about that? Isn't the screen like suppose to create these black bars or something? Are you saying this scaling thing is sharper or something. Like when I play 720p video stuff upscaled to 1080p? I don't like upscaled graphics, have that with my ps3, looks sort of blurry.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Jiggah

Yea the default is to let your monitor do the scaling, which for most monitors means it stretches.  This is the only way I play Warcraft 3, since the game doesn't have higher 16:10/16:9 resolutions.  It's a staple feature.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mcfart

Ahh, so you mean games like SC1 and Diablo will render at the desktop resolution, and have black bars to compensate for the 4'3? If so, that's cool.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By defaulttag

@HitmanAgent47: Nvidia seems to have done a great job though. Starcraft 1 looks better upscaled than at 800x600. I know upscaled graphics to 1080p will NEVER compare to 1080p native. However, it added some flexibility for PC games. It's great for game that cannot even run at higher resolutions.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By defaulttag

@Mcfart said:

Ahh, so you mean games like SC1 and Diablo will render at the desktop resolution, and have black bars to compensate for the 4'3? If so, that's cool.

Exactly!

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By ericdrum

A lot of people on the nvidia forums and myself are not having the most luck with these drivers. I've played 3 different games where the graphics were hosed by them. Reverted back and all is well.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I remember with my old monitor, it was like X1050 everything looked warped with 1080p or 720p. This was before I used a hdtv as a monitor and never looked back forever. I just forgot this because my hdtv puts all these black bars by default and I can manually scale things. But if I was to use a X1050 monitor, can I put black bars on the top and bottom? (not that I really give a shit, since I don't use small low rez monitors anymore, but if I wanted to know for reference sakes what would happen to my old monitor? will it put black bars on the top and bottom?)

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By CL60

Maybe I'll try Starcraft now. I can never get into RTS games.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By defaulttag

@HitmanAgent47: The GPU scaling settings offers 'aspect ratio' setting. Using this offers black bars wherever necessary respective to the native aspect ratio of the game's resolution to the monitor. So let's say you play a 4:3 game on your x1050 (16:10), the resolution will be upscaled to a 16:10 signal. It will have black bars to the side generated by the GPU, not the monitor or TV.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShockD
    @Mcfart said:
    How is having two black bars cool?
    Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jiggah
    @antikorper
    It's better than having the imaged stretched and deformed.
    ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShockD
    @Jiggah said:
    @antikorper:  It's better than having the imaged stretched and deformed.
    I don't think it's better. When I have a 1080p I want to use it the whole, not only the center.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.