Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Nvidia GTX 480 is Only $499.99, I repeat only $499.99

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

No Caption Provided
    Look at that beast!  Nvidia is back in business and ATI is once again going to take the back seat to the video card market....the thing looks like it has a frickin' liquid cooling system in there!  So I heard this is coming out this month...mainly next week!  O_O

Linky
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RsistncE
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Binman88

Considering selling my 2 280s to buy one of these. Must resist.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By korwin

Another rumor about today about the power consumption of these things.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-final-specs--pricing-revealed/8635.html

Needless to say... holy shit.  The GTX480 pulls 295 watts at peak power usage? Thats just like 10 watts shy of the dual gpu HD5970.... needless to say with that kind of juice usage this thing better kick some serious ass, otherwise it will be the worst architecture since the 2900XT.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

Insane.

Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Computerplayer1

Oh good....Only $499.99

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ninjakiller

Hmmmmmmm.....get TWO of them?

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By frankfartmouth

Jesus, that thing looks absurd. I would love to have one, but 500 is just too salty for me right now. Still making do with my 8800gt. Need to upgrade to something soon. Just barely scraping by with some games. 

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ColMirage

Yet at best is only 10% faster than the 5870 for ~80 to 100 dollars more.

Same thing for the 470 & the 5850, except the price difference is smaller (Around 50 more for the 470)

And it won't be long before ATi does a price drop once the Fermi cards are out.

Performance? Win.
    Price/Performance? Better luck next time.

I sure hope for them those performance figures are wrong.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jmrwacko

An American Tradition, 8.2 MPG!

Sorry, Robocop reference.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JP_Russell
    @Computerplayer1 said:
    "Oh good....Only $499.99 "

$500 is cheap as a launch price for the lead video card (in that you generally will never see it cheaper than that).  It would have been conceivable that nVidia would have to have a higher pricetag like $600 or $650, so to have it be a standard, flat $500 is good. 

It won't take long for the price to drop, anyway.  Only the top enthusiasts with the money to spare should be buying the lead card right when it comes out.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @ColMirage said:
    " Yet at best is only 10% faster than the 5870 for ~80 to 100 dollars more.  Same thing for the 470 & the 5850, except the price difference is smaller (Around 50 more for the 470)  And it won't be long before ATi does a price drop once the Fermi cards are out.  Performance? Win. Price/Performance? Better luck next time.  I sure hope for them those performance figures are wrong. "
    It's Nvidia, they'll get more performance from the cards within a few months just based on driver optimisations alone.  It's how they've always been.
    pallorwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pallorwag

5870 is a very reliable card. I haven't had any problems with it . Everything runs smoothly at stock settings. I just don't see the point in wasting money on barely an upgrade. Any new gen game that puts 5870 out of date. Will most likely put 480 out as well.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By MachoFantastico

I'm going to be finishing off my new gaming rig next week, pretty much have all the components. Just need a GPU and the OS, it's weird timing with Nvidia's GeForce GTX 470 and 480 being released. I am very interested in the card, been a avid Nvidia user for many years and their cards have generally been better for gaming. But I will be ordering the ATI Radeon HD 5870 this time round, excited to see how the GTX 480 goes but the 5870 is a more stable and solid card right now, one that as been on the market for a good spell. Fermi is a new architecture so not totally understood, this worries me slightly so I'm willing to wait a few months before considering one for purchase.  

Plus to be honest, the 5870 will handle anything I need it to do.  

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MachoFantastico

Can't help but admit that the XFX versions of the GTX 470 and GTX 480 do look sweet, XFX always have nicely design cards. Though of course it's just cosmetic and means nothing unless the card performs.  

XFX Nvidia GeForce GTX 470  
     XFX Nvidia GeForce GTX 470  
     XFX Nvidia GeForce GTX 480
     XFX Nvidia GeForce GTX 480
    DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By DCFGS3

So that'll be about $700 Australian if we're lucky. We get fucked over so much in this industry. I'll just wait for the 5870 to drop in price. The difference is minimal to say the least.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MachoFantastico
    @DCFGS3 said:

" So that'll be about $700 Australian if we're lucky. We get fucked over so much in this industry. I'll just wait for the 5870 to drop in price. The difference is minimal to say the least. "

Probably the better option, can't see their being a worthwhile difference between the GTX 480 and the ATI 5870. True Nvidia doesn't have the full amount of cores running with the launch cards so we might see some improved performance in the months to come, but going with the 5870 is the safer bet. Really hope prices start to come down, ATI have been rather awful with supplies of the series in general which as caused prices to slowly rise.  

Plus I thought the UK had it bad for prices at times, Aussies get worked over. Is it possible to import the card from the UK or would that end up being to expensive?
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By korwin

Import the card from the US or something if you can't source a cheap local, something i've been considering for this round of GPU's.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By DCFGS3
    @TrueEnglishGent:@Korwin: The issue there, for the US certainly, is that importing electronics is difficult. The US is especially protective of their electronics, so they don't fall into the wrong hands I guess. I'm not sure about the UK. The 5870 is sitting at a bit over $500 these days, hopefully it'll drop down to around $430-450 the end of April, assuming Nvidia release on time.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By natetodamax

What a steal!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.