Nvidia or ATI

• 75 results
#1 Posted by carzy (275 posts) -

for me nvidia because the green is way cooler then the red

#2 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

Nvidia, never tried ATi before.

#3 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -

Nvidia have been really good up until the last month or 2... the 9 series GFX cards didnt' take the cake for me... ATI has just released new cards which are cheaper and better than the Nvidia... if you havn't tried ATi then you might want to start now :P.

FYI - i've been a Nvidia fanboy since the old days.. but ATi have recently impressed me.

#4 Posted by NateDogg (465 posts) -

ATI all the way...

They make quality video cards with reasonable prices.

#5 Posted by prodromus (20 posts) -

Whoever has the best performing card for the money when I'm ready to buy. :)  At the moment I'm rocking Nvidia but I'll be upgrading soon and the 4800 series from ATI is looking pretty nice- it's gonna come down to price.

#6 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

Nvdia because I have only used them for gaming cards ( i have a few computers with ati ) and of course i love the add when you play some games and that person says "Nvidia.."

#7 Posted by The_Dude (798 posts) -

I use to be an ATI guy but got an 8800Gt when those came out, I don't think I will go back to ATI.

#8 Posted by ReTarDedFisHy (1064 posts) -

ReTatDedFisHy thinks ATI has the best price vs. performance cards. Best bang for buck he says.
But ATM, he's hating ATI. He hates them for not supporting AGP as well as they should... 4 months for AGP updates? C'mon...
But other companies have totally dropped AGP so... hateful yet grateful :S

#9 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

Nvidia FTW!

#10 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -

ReTarDedFisHy said:

"

ReTatDedFisHy thinks ATI has the best price vs. performance cards. Best bang for buck he says.
But ATM, he's hating ATI. He hates them for not supporting AGP as well as they should... 4 months for AGP updates? C'mon...

"

No offence man but who cares about AGP anymore... Any new Mobo comes with PCIE. If you're bothering to get a GFX card to play a new game, if you need AGP, chances are your Processor wont be good enough anyway.. I was in the same boat as you, but i sucked it up and bought a E8500 (Core2Duo)... Havn't looked back!

P.S - Talking in 3rd person is lame ;)

#11 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -
ReTarDedFisHy said:
"

"
One of my teachers talks in 3rd person sometimes. Its weird
#12 Posted by carzy (275 posts) -
ReTarDedFisHy said:
"

"
fyi when you talk in third person it makes you look like a retard ;)
#13 Posted by mrhankey (695 posts) -

ATI right now has really stepped up tot he base and hit a home run with their new ATI Hd4870 cards....i'm upgrading from my HD3870 to one within the month of august. Although i have always owned ATI starting with my 9600...then my X800...then my X1900XT, and then my 3870. I have worked with comps with Nvidia cards and often i feel that their is a lot to be desired.....although befor ati released the ATI Hd4870 the 8800gt was a good deal from Nvidia.

#14 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -
mrhankey said:
"ATI right now has really stepped up tot he base and hit a home run with their new ATI Hd4870 cards....i'm upgrading from my HD3870 to one within the month of august. Although i have always owned ATI starting with my 9600...then my X800...then my X1900XT, and then my 3870. I have worked with comps with Nvidia cards and often i feel that their is a lot to be desired.....although befor ati released the ATI Hd4870 the 8800gt was a good deal from Nvidia.
"

Yeah those are the cards that i was talking about, they match or are better in most cases against the current series nvidia... and are alot cheaper.. How can you go wrong!!
#15 Posted by lettuceman44 (109 posts) -

ATi, especially right now.

#16 Posted by Catterick (34 posts) -

My last ATI card was way back in the day. Can't even remember the model, although I do remember it frequently crashing my PC. Switched to nVidia and haven't looked back since.

#17 Posted by NeoTheta (222 posts) -

I prefer Nvidia far more than ATI. Mainly because ATI's drivers are often a hassle, and just annoying. I haven't recently looked at ATI's cards, but I'll go check them out since everybody's talking about them. I'm hoping to get a 9800 GTX in the next couple of months(for 200 bucks, it can run even Crysis on all high, 46 average FPS at 1920x1200), but if I find a Radeon I like, I might change the plan.

#18 Posted by Ozeki (156 posts) -

I have an ATi on my current system and I don't think I'll ever buy another ATi again...

I have a X1900XTX and after a year of normal use (with almost no gaming!) I started seeing artifacts on my screen and random crashes during games. Of course, it was now out of warranty because AMD decided 4 years was too much for their clients and reduced it to only one year...

The damn card was also loud as hell and the stock heatsink was not cooling it at all. Even while idle, the GPU temperature was always around 50°C and up-to 80-90°C when gaming... Whenever I booted my computer, the heatsink fan would make a massive vacuum cleaner-like noise. So I installed a Zalman VF900-CU to keep it quiet. Now, I can't hear the fan turning, at full speed and with my ear right next to it . It is also a lot cooler now (runs at around 38°C idle and maximum 56-60°C when gaming).

That did it for the crashes but not for the artifact problems...

The card draws so much power that I think it busted the 12V rail on my PSU (explaining the lingering artifacts)... I read somewhere that it can draw as much as 120W from the PSU!

I paid about 450$ for this card (when it was released) plus about 50$ for the Zalman fan, about 15$ for a tube of Arctic Cooling MX-2 and now I probably need another 150$ for a new PSU that can, I sure hope, outlive this damnation...

Next time I'll go for durability over performance and most Nvidia cards (especially the BFG ones) come with lifelong warranties now...

#19 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

Nvidia!

#20 Posted by VACkillers (1063 posts) -

wow a lot of comments on this (what a supprise) hehehe....   i'll just make my comment short then (o:}

Nvidia but turning towards more ATI with their latest cards....

#21 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

each generation is different, at the monment i would go with ATI, you gotta love the 4870 and the soon to be released 4870 x2. But 12 months ago Nvidia was the clear winner.

#22 Posted by sculsoldi3r (1315 posts) -

NVidia

#23 Posted by staxontoplyon (18 posts) -

I'm wanting a 4850, outperforms nvidia's 350 dollar card for 200 bucks = big win.

#24 Posted by GiantBomber (350 posts) -

Would of said Nvidia but now that ATI's finally got some good cards at a great price It's hard to say

#25 Posted by Mindtwist (49 posts) -

I'm running nVidia as for now, but ATi is looking really good.

#26 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

I never bought an Ati card but seeing how the 4850 and 4870 are so good this gen and from the previews it looks like I'll get myself a 4870X2 when it comes out.

#27 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -
NateDogg said:
"ATI all the way...

They make quality video cards with reasonable prices.
"
QFT
#28 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -

The age old question is back again!

I've not used an ATi card in about eight years so it's Nvidia for now.

#29 Edited by kuddles (87 posts) -

Nvidia, mostly because I've had such awesome experiences with eVGA and I had so many issues with the two ATI cards I owned.  I recently replaced my 8800GTX with a GTX 280.  I'll consider using ATI again when either a) eVGA starts making ATI cards too like some rumors suggest, or b) Nvidia cards become so bad in performance you can't help but switch.  Overall, I just prefer the way games look on Nvidia cards, I prefer how performance is with games I play, and I prefer the software.

#30 Posted by yorro (558 posts) -

ATI 4870X2 out weights any NVIDIA's new GX280.

#31 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

Nvidia, had an ATi once and it bricked so damn fast, same as when I had an AMD chipset - the intel/Nvidia combo works well IMO

#32 Posted by hojufixter (109 posts) -

I enjoy Nvidia's offerings, but i dont think i would buy just on what brand it  was

#33 Posted by Kushiel (32 posts) -

Nvidia.

#34 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

ATI

#35 Posted by StressedOutCat (239 posts) -

currently ATI seem to be in the lead.
Nvidia had to even lower their prices by a large margin to make their cards competitive

#36 Posted by y0y0 (106 posts) -
yorro said:
"ATI 4870X2 out weights any NVIDIA's new GX280.
"
it doesn't even just out weigh a single GTX 280 but beats it in  SLI in certain games. but anyways i go with what ever is best, ATI nor Nvidia pay me or give me extra if i stick with them so really why should i.
#37 Posted by mrhankey (695 posts) -
kuddles said:
"Nvidia, mostly because I've had such awesome experiences with eVGA and I had so many issues with the two ATI cards I owned.  I recently replaced my 8800GTX with a GTX 280.  I'll consider using ATI again when either a) eVGA starts making ATI cards too like some rumors suggest, or b) Nvidia cards become so bad in performance you can't help but switch.  Overall, I just prefer the way games look on Nvidia cards, I prefer how performance is with games I play, and I prefer the software.
"
Funny, i think its all based on perception because i hate the way games play and look on nvidia cards....
#38 Posted by WorldsFastestShrimpPeeler (458 posts) -

I go with nvidia.

#39 Posted by prodromus (20 posts) -

Neotheta- if you're considering the 9800 GTX you should keep your eye on the 4850- it compares very well performance-wise to the 9800 gtx and is a bit cheaper.  But with the price wars currently underway, the prices on both are likely to change in the next couple of months.  One thing is for sure- competition is good for the consumer. 

#40 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

Having many problems with my 8800GT SLI setup right now, trying to fix the problem, if it keeps on happening, I might consider moving to ATI

#41 Posted by VACkillers (1063 posts) -

seems as everyones on the subject of graphics cards right now i need to post a question to you all...... As i dont own an ati card and really never have, i cannot answer this myself lol

What are the drivers like now with Nvidia's 9800GX2 cards when you have 2 of them?
And which of the two ATI or Nvidia have the better drivers right now? as i've heard bad things about both right now

#42 Posted by chandlerr_360 (110 posts) -

ATi all the way. Nvidia has always been the lazy, un-innovative video card company. Plus, with the HD 4850, I think ATi has more than proved itself worthy of it's newfound popularity.

#43 Posted by StressedOutCat (239 posts) -
kuddles said:
"Nvidia, mostly because I've had such awesome experiences with eVGA and I had so many issues with the two ATI cards I owned.  I recently replaced my 8800GTX with a GTX 280.  I'll consider using ATI again when either a) eVGA starts making ATI cards too like some rumors suggest, or b) Nvidia cards become so bad in performance you can't help but switch.  Overall, I just prefer the way games look on Nvidia cards, I prefer how performance is with games I play, and I prefer the software.
"
I think the rumor is EVGA is gonna go and make intel gpu's not ATI
#44 Posted by VACkillers (1063 posts) -

i thought i heard and read somewhere that nvidia got rejected in using Intel's GPU? which would mean EVGA as well?

#45 Posted by Ozeki (156 posts) -
VACkillers said:
"i thought i heard and read somewhere that nvidia got rejected in using Intel's GPU? which would mean EVGA as well?
"
I think you got your info wrong. Intel is about to release a new GPU on the market based around their multicore CPUs. Its called Larrabee. It is supposed to go head-to-head with Nvidia and ATi in the GPU race.

eVGA is a 3rd party video card builder. They take the core components of Nvidia cards, tweak them to their likings and release them with their brands. Beside being partners with Nvidia, they have nothing to do with the company.

I could see them release Larrabee-based cards in the future if Intel can prove to be a good competitor to the other too. :)
#46 Posted by VACkillers (1063 posts) -

yeah i probably did get the info wrong it was something i only briefly passed through on some website.... and yeah i know EVGA was 3rd party for nvidia just figured they'd be exlusive to nvidia products i guess i dunno....  If its really going to be that good tho this should bring ALL the prices down unless intel are going to really grank their prices up for this

#47 Edited by Ozeki (156 posts) -
VACkillers said:
"yeah i probably did get the info wrong it was something i only briefly passed through on some website.... and yeah i know EVGA was 3rd party for nvidia just figured they'd be exlusive to nvidia products i guess i dunno....  If its really going to be that good tho this should bring ALL the prices down unless intel are going to really grank their prices up for this
"
Exactly competition is good and you're right about Intel needing to step-up with their cards and prices if they wanna enter this aggressive new market.

They've probably put too much money into this to dare release something that can't compete with ATi and Nvidia (price and performance-wise)... but it wouldn't be the first time a big hardware company does a dumb move like that...
#48 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

I say, its not the company its the card

#49 Posted by Locke (330 posts) -

It depends on who has the best card for the money.

#50 Posted by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -

Im more of an Nvidia guy. But atm ATI have some great cards out and if i was buying now it would probably be an ATI card.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.