Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Nvidia to ATi: Lets align our marketing plans

AegisOfDawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AegisOfDawn

Apparently there's been an ongoing antitrust lawsuit going on between ATi and Nvidia in 2006 but some recent evidence have turned up with an e-mail between Nvidia's Dan Vivoli to ATI's Dave Orton in 2002:

"I really think we should work harder together on the marketing front. As you and I have talked about, even though we are competitors, we have the common goal of making our category a well positioned, respected playing field. $5 and $8 stocks are a result of no respect."

This suggests that the two companies were fixing prices and releasing cards at the same time.

source: http://play.tm/wire/click/2015066

dhlt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dhlt25

I don't see anything about fixing price in that email. if anything that email only indicate the two companies wanted to get together to improve the market share and such.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By unclejohnny79

Yeah maybe they thought about it in 2002

Apex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Apex

I wouldn't be surprised if there is price fixing, its an oligopolistic market after all, so it wouldn't be hard to do.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By VACkillers

i wouldn't be supprised either and it'd be nothing new, im not really bothered about this as for 1, i dont really think there's anything we can do about this anyway if they were, and 2, which is most important point, it doesn't really matter which graphics card you actually get, so long as it runs all your games good it doesn't really matter....

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By sculsoldi3r

If this was true why would nvidia the giant let ati produce much better cards for cheaper?

y0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By y0y0
    sculsoldi3r said:
    "If this was true why would nvidia the giant let ati produce much better cards for cheaper?"
    your looking at it in the short-term only, in the long-term if they switch between who produces the best card for each 'gen' then there at least guaranteed good revenue for up to 10 years, and as we know firms love stability more than anything.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By VACkillers

seems a little far fetched to me, its not in anyones interest for them to do that, as there is still ppl that will only buy nvidia cards, and ppl that will just get ATI cards, and on top of that, if you know your one of the best companies in the world at doing what your doing, its natural to just want to get rid of the competition not keep them around for revenue. ATI have been out of the loop on top end cards for a long time, but thats obviously because they've been working a long time on the new generation of ATI cards which as we now know, are looking to awesome!
    Think this is just speculation personally

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By xruntime

Companies are all about business. Not very surprising..

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10  Edited By OGCartman

Never gonna happen. They will compete to death

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.