Okay, so my computer's blown up...

#1 Posted by Epidepic (7 posts) -

So, apparently, using a dodgy power outlet that sizzles whenever you plug into it is a bad idea. 

I'm computer-less for a month or so, but I do have this little laptop here.  

It's a relatively old (few years) Toshiba Satellite Pro with a single core at 1.86GHz, with an (argh) integrated graphics chipset. Any games I could play while I wallow in deep despair?

#2 Posted by Shirogane (3569 posts) -

Ouch, integrated graphics? I think you're a bit screwed over... 

Try some of the weird indie games i guess. You know, Plants vs Zombies, and all those weird things that shouldn't take up too much graphics processing power. Only other thing i can think of that should run is Torchlight. 

Wait, does Warcraft 3 even work on that thing? If so, some of the custom maps stuff is pretty awesome.
#3 Posted by jangofett88 (324 posts) -

Audiosurf maybe.

#4 Posted by Joker_777 (326 posts) -

Tie Fighter.

#5 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -
#6 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Rome Total War on minimum settings perhaps?

#7 Posted by Impossibilium (684 posts) -

Pong.

Typing 5318008 into the calculator app and holding the laptop upside down ...

I think that's about it.

#8 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

I've got one word for you, just one word: Emulation.

#9 Edited by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -
@Impossibilium said:

" Pong.  Typing 5318008 into the calculator app and holding the laptop upside down ...  I think that's about it. "

Hah.. I always loved playing with a calculator trying to create words when I was a kid. Especially when at school enduring boring math classes.

Oh, and I'm sorry about your computer, man. That sucks. I just found a collection of all the Metal Slug games a couple of days ago. So my advice to you, check them out. I guess those games should run somewhat smoothly on your laptop.
#10 Posted by VIGGO123 (552 posts) -

As @SPACETURTLE said, the Metal Slug collection is awesome... You should also look into a Nintendo 64 emulator called Project64, it's legal, as far as i know..

#11 Posted by Chandu83 (222 posts) -

A lot of older games work on integrated graphics. Call of Duty, Deus Ex, Return to Castle Wolfenstein etc. You could try those.

#12 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@Epidepic: 
I'd be willing to bet you could run Torchlight.

Seriously, it's even got a netbook mode in it.
#13 Posted by Chyro (353 posts) -
Good Old Games

I bet you a majority of the games on there would work.  And they are cheap as hell and DRM free.  GL.
#14 Edited by monkeyroach (175 posts) -

www.gog.com

#15 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I bet Torchlight would work on absolutely lowest settings.

#16 Posted by Korwin (2846 posts) -
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" I've got one word for you, just one word: Emulation. "
Word get your ZSnes on.
#17 Posted by armaan8014 (5378 posts) -

dammit bugs back. Bumping again to push thread down

#18 Edited by cgoodno (166 posts) -
@Epidepic:  PvZ on Google Chrome.  Plus a few others.  For me, there's always been Kongregate.  Then there's always a ton of oldies-but-goodies on GOG.
#19 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -
#20 Posted by RVonE (4630 posts) -

Bejeweled 2? Maybe 3?
#21 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Counter Strike, anything can play that game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.