Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Opinions on this PC please!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Hamz

So I'm in the market for a new computer system. Looking to get something around the £500 price tag or less that handles web browsing, media playback and the odd PC game here and there. So far after shopping around a bit I've sort of settled on this Zoostorm PC which seems good enough for what I want and at a reasonable price too.

Considering placing an order for it sometime this weekend but figured it may be a good idea to get some feedback on it from our resident PC literate users. So what do folks think, is it worth buying for someone looking for an above average PC that handles media and light gaming?

All feedback appreciated :)

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

That will do more then what you're asking of it. I'd say that you could find cheaper, but then I don't know what the pricing model for PC's are in the market across the pond.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Red12b

It's shiny and new, Better than mine, so I say all good, 

I expect the PC defence force will turn up and parade their knowledge telling you what to get, 
    So, yeah, I know sweet FA about PC's other than if you delete system files the PC crashes, Wont be doing that again... 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

Like Driadon said, that looks like it's got the potential to do more then you're probably asking for (depending on what games you have in mind). I do like it though, my only beef with it is the fact that it's a quad-core. Personally I'd prefer a dual core but that's just me. Price wise, it's not bad. I'd get it anyway.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By PowerSerj

The GTS250 will run any game you throw at it fine.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Time_Lord

That should be able to play most games on medium settings.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Have you tried building a PC on Newegg at all? 

Nonetheless, that computer is just fine.  I would just be weary of proprietary systems.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Hitchenson

Hm, I'm going to ask a question here to save making my own thread. I've got £1,000 to spend on a PC - I know nothing about PCs, thus I intend to get a pre-built. What would be a good one to get?  

(The PC's going to be for vidyagames of course).

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hamz

Well it seems the consensus is that the system will do what I want it to do and much more which is great news. I was somewhat worried I may have picked a slightly sub-par system to begin with as having used the same computer I built by hand for six years now, I'm out the loop with what is simply word processing grade and media/gaming grade.

For those that may have been wondering why I'd go for pre-built over custom built well honestly as I said the last computer I built myself was six years ago, I don't have that same drive and enthusiasm to do it again and I don't really trust myself to do it correctly having not done it in so long.

@Hitchenson: You could look into purchasing the one I've linked in my original post of this topic. It seems people feel it'll do the job required of a gaming PC and seeing as it costs less than half the budget you have, you could use the rest to splash out on games or peripherals? Not sure but hopefully people can help you out in this topic, feel free to hijack it! :)

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Hamz: Hey, if that PC's good I'd more than happily save £500 which I could spend elsewhere. 
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By captain_clayman

YES 

and if you wanna do some intense gaming you can upgrade your GPU and you're good to go!

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Geno
    @Hamz:
    Take a look at this:  http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/mega_sales_II/ 

Same price, better memory, better processor, better power supply, better case, better mobo for future upgrades (LGA 1156 platform for next gen i5's, also SLI and Crossfire). From a trusted brand as well. 
    Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eurobum
    @Hamz said:

For those that may have been wondering why I'd go for pre-built over custom built well honestly as I said the last computer I built myself was six years ago, I don't have that same drive and enthusiasm to do it again and I don't really trust myself to do it correctly having not done it in so long.

The only skill required in building pc's is the ability to read and understand the mainboard manual. This requires a good = pricey mainboard.
    It only should take a couple of hours, if you first read and then build.  Honestly assuming you learned this lesson 6 years ago (reading first), then you should be just fine. That said I completely understand your sentiment, however the effort of putting a PC together is worth it. Even when you choose parts spontaneously without spending much time with comparisons, reviews and contemplation.

Even if you have a pre built pc you will have to dig into the BIOS and read the manual sooner or later, except you WILL have shitty parts, because a system from the shelf HAS TO use cheap mainboard, PSU, MEMORY and DRIVES to make a profit. 

Also if you (1) need an assembled PC (2) for browsing/video, buy a Notebook! It makes half the noise and consumes 1/5th the power. Even with external mouse, keyboard and monitor, a notebook still makes sense.  
    For playing PC games just check the requirements for your desired game and choose your Graphics card accordingly. Chances are you spend hundreds of hours with it, then you probably shouldn't have to put up with long loading times, stuttering frames.

Besides CPU/Mainboard and GPU of your choice are already 1 generation behind... (core i7,i5,i3 replaced core2quad, and you can buy directX11 cards in 40nm architecture instead of these Nvidia dinosaurs). 
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hamz
    @Geno said:
    " @Hamz:
    Take a look at this:  http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/mega_sales_II/  Same price, better memory, better processor, better power supply, better case, better mobo for future upgrades (LGA 1156 platform for next gen i5's, also SLI and Crossfire). From a trusted brand as well.  "
    That is a pretty tempting system that I'd definitely consider buying if I weren't sticking strictly to a £500 budget like I am. By the time I added a Win7 OS the price inc. VAT rockets up to almost £600 which is quite a bit more than I'm willing to pay right now. Although I must say thanks for brining CyberPowerSystems to my attention, hadn't come across them before :)

@Eurobum: I appreciate the comment and advice in it. I used to be a rather dedicated PC gamer and computer enthusiast back in the day. But that general interest has dwindled in recent years to the point where I'm willing to accept components a generation behind. I'm not looking to stay ahead of the curve anymore which is why I've sort of gone for the budget pre-built system that will undoubtedly not be as good as a custom build. Cheers for the reply mate, reading it brought back a little nostalgia of myself some years ago saying the same things lol :)
    krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By krazy_kyle

It's awesome considering the price, but even still, its not much more expensive to get more future-proof hardware.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hamz said:
    " @Geno said:
    " @Hamz:
    Take a look at this:  http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/mega_sales_II/  Same price, better memory, better processor, better power supply, better case, better mobo for future upgrades (LGA 1156 platform for next gen i5's, also SLI and Crossfire). From a trusted brand as well.  "
    That is a pretty tempting system that I'd definitely consider buying if I weren't sticking strictly to a £500 budget like I am. By the time I added a Win7 OS the price inc. VAT rockets up to almost £600 which is quite a bit more than I'm willing to pay right now. Although I must say thanks for brining CyberPowerSystems to my attention, hadn't come across them before :)  "
    Hamz man, that 100pounds difference will get you much more longevity.  If you buy the other system you won't be able to find CPU and possibly RAM upgrades for it in a year or so, where the Cyberpower machine is based around current parts, so even when Intel releases their 4Ghz Core i7 you will be able to use it without having to change motherboards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.