Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Origin price point - Sim City holy moly

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/en_GB/html/pbPage.SimcityUK/

I'm not sure what the pricing for your guys regions are. Here, it's showing as £64.99 and £44.99.

For comparison, a typical pc game in the UK costs £29.99. With console games costing £39.99. The price point here, is more than double the price of a pc game.

Are they trying to take the piss? Seriously. I'v seen some price hikes but this isn't just, slightly hire, it's mount everest.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By matthias2437

Are you talking about the new Sim City? It is a normal priced game her in Merica.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats odd.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By DeeGee

Unfortunately, the time of the PC game being £29.99 passed a while ago. Still, these prices are ridiculous.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spoonman671
    @matthias2437 said:

Are you talking about the new Sim City? It is a normal priced game her in Merica.

It took me entirely too long to figure out where Merica is.
    owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By owack6

@DeeGee: I buy retail games from the UK and that's pretty much the standard price for boxed PC games.

On Origin however my recent purchase for ME3 cost me 50 euros which is close to double the price i usually pay for new stuff on PC and i don't even get a shiny box!

Add to that the fact that most new steam games i buy i get for like 35$ for buying from GMG.

Origin has a really shity pricing scheme.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

thats probably because they took the price its being sold in the states and just copy pasted it into your country.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Funkydupe

When I go to http://www.greenmangaming.co.uk/ I see a Guild Wars 2 image and when I click on it I am sent to the Guild Wars 2 page in the store but it does not let me preorder it. Do you see it any differently? I think it shows different content depending on your country. >*(

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By NickL

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

Are they trying to take the piss?

As an american, I can't help but laugh everytime I read/hear this. WTF DOES IT MEAN?!?!

(I know what it means in this context, in literally terms though... WTF DOES IT MEAN?!?)

On topic: It's probably an error. Shouldn't look too much into the pricepoint of a game that won't come out for another year+

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox
    @matthias2437 said:

$59.99 for Limited Edition, $79.99 for Digital Deluxe. That's a little expensive for a city simulator.
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By Atlas

We're getting to a point now with game pricing where I buy just a handful of games on day-one a year, and nothing like pre-order bonuses is going to get me to change that stance. It helps that I can resist the Zeitgeist of a new game release - I'll wait a few months to play Mass Effect 3 and Kingdoms of Amalur.

SimCity 5 would have been a game I'd consider as a day-one purchase, but at that price? Forget about it - I could just play 4 for a few months and then pick it up. I'm not going to pay more than £30 for a PC game, with very few exceptions.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jimbo
    @DeeGee said:

Unfortunately, the time of the PC game being £29.99 passed a while ago. Still, these prices are ridiculous.

Yeah, the average is closer to ~£24 for new pc games if you buy retail copies online.

Those prices on Origin are extortionate. It's almost twice what I'd usually pay for a brand new PC game, and they don't even have a retailer cut to come out of it and half of the game is missing.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Retailers undercut the RRP to attract business. Digital Distribution providers nearly always sell games at full price at launch. The RRP of most new console games is £44.99. Most PC games are a fiver or so cheaper, but not all. So it's really isn't unusual for Origin to be selling it at £44.99.

The solution is to just buy it at retail. Simple. You'll get it cheaper.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.