Over-The-Counter Gaming Laptop

#1 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

So, I had been a PC guy for most of my life...you know, for doing computer-y tasks, not gaming. Then in 2008, I went ahead and bought myself one of those new-fangled aluminum MacBooks and I friggen loved it! It's so user friendly, has no (or very little) viruses to worry about, and looks so damn slick! BUT, there is one problem with my Mac: it can't play most of the Steam games that I'm interested in. Sure, I could sit at my PC desktop and play all the games I've purchased through steam, but I would much rather chill on the couch with my laptop and play said games, to my heart's content.

That's why I need your help! I want to buy an "over-the-counter" Windows laptop, that will run all the high-end steam games with ease. I'm looking to buy this laptop by early December with a budget of $500 - $1000. Should I go with Dell, Asus, Acer, Toshiba...what?

#2 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

I prefer prescription gaming laptops personally.

#3 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -

@Labman said:

an "over-the-counter" Windows laptop, that will run all the high-end steam games with ease...a budget of $500 - $1000.

doesn't exist.

edit: you're gonna have to up your budget if you want a gaming laptop that can do this.

#4 Posted by Mcfart (1610 posts) -

I prefer mine to be a suppository

#5 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Labman said:

an "over-the-counter" Windows laptop, that will run all the high-end steam games with ease...a budget of $500 - $1000.

doesn't exist.

edit: you're gonna have to up your budget if you want a gaming laptop that can do this.

Damn! Welp, I guess I'll just have to stick to gaming on my desktop.

Thanks for the replies, they were all entertaining.

#6 Posted by Thunderballistics (3 posts) -

You have a number of options with that budget. With any "gaming" laptop though, you will be making serious compromises that you may or may not want to live with. The best your going to do is either a GT 650m or GTX 660m. Laptops coming to mind are Lenovo's Y580, MSI's GE 60, and HP has a couple pavilion models with the 650m(a 14 inch and 15 inch). In my opinion, the screen is the biggest issue at this budget. These gpu's are not going to have legs at 1080p, they are better suited for 900p or 768p. I haven't seen a 900p for the above mentioned models, so your stuck with either eventually playing at non-native resolutions on your 1080p or settling with a poor quality 768p. Also, if your used to a uni-body macbook, these laptops will feel very cheap(because they are).

All that said, I would stick to your desktop. Maybe try Steam big picture mode? Also, Haswell will likely be released early next year with a much better IGP.

I hope that helps.

#7 Edited by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

@Labman said:

So, I had been a PC guy for most of my life...you know, for doing computer-y tasks, not gaming. Then in 2008, I went ahead and bought myself one of those new-fangled aluminum MacBooks and I friggen loved it! It's so user friendly, has no (or very little) viruses to worry about, and looks so damn slick! BUT, there is one problem with my Mac: it can't play most of the Steam games that I'm interested in. Sure, I could sit at my PC desktop and play all the games I've purchased through steam, but I would much rather chill on the couch with my laptop and play said games, to my heart's content.

That's why I need your help! I want to buy an "over-the-counter" Windows laptop, that will run all the high-end steam games with ease. I'm looking to buy this laptop by early December with a budget of $500 - $1000. Should I go with Dell, Asus, Acer, Toshiba...what?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152293&fb_source=message

By early December there might be something better, but this will run things quite well. I recommended this to a friend recently. Only thing I'd add is an SSD. As I believe it has 2 Hard Drive mounts. Best of luck.

#8 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

@PillClinton said:

I prefer prescription gaming laptops personally.

Yeah you would say that, Pill Clinton.

#9 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

@Subject2Change said:

@Labman said:

So, I had been a PC guy for most of my life...you know, for doing computer-y tasks, not gaming. Then in 2008, I went ahead and bought myself one of those new-fangled aluminum MacBooks and I friggen loved it! It's so user friendly, has no (or very little) viruses to worry about, and looks so damn slick! BUT, there is one problem with my Mac: it can't play most of the Steam games that I'm interested in. Sure, I could sit at my PC desktop and play all the games I've purchased through steam, but I would much rather chill on the couch with my laptop and play said games, to my heart's content.

That's why I need your help! I want to buy an "over-the-counter" Windows laptop, that will run all the high-end steam games with ease. I'm looking to buy this laptop by early December with a budget of $500 - $1000. Should I go with Dell, Asus, Acer, Toshiba...what?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152293&fb_source=message

By early December there might be something better, but this will run things quite well. I recommended this to a friend recently. Only thing I'd add is an SSD. As I believe it has 2 Hard Drive mounts. Best of luck.

Awesome! I have it bookmarked and will take a look at it when I get home. Thanks for the advice!

#10 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

@Labman said:

@Subject2Change said:

@Labman said:

So, I had been a PC guy for most of my life...you know, for doing computer-y tasks, not gaming. Then in 2008, I went ahead and bought myself one of those new-fangled aluminum MacBooks and I friggen loved it! It's so user friendly, has no (or very little) viruses to worry about, and looks so damn slick! BUT, there is one problem with my Mac: it can't play most of the Steam games that I'm interested in. Sure, I could sit at my PC desktop and play all the games I've purchased through steam, but I would much rather chill on the couch with my laptop and play said games, to my heart's content.

That's why I need your help! I want to buy an "over-the-counter" Windows laptop, that will run all the high-end steam games with ease. I'm looking to buy this laptop by early December with a budget of $500 - $1000. Should I go with Dell, Asus, Acer, Toshiba...what?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152293&fb_source=message

By early December there might be something better, but this will run things quite well. I recommended this to a friend recently. Only thing I'd add is an SSD. As I believe it has 2 Hard Drive mounts. Best of luck.

Awesome! I have it bookmarked and will take a look at it when I get home. Thanks for the advice!

No problem, it's a great laptop (in terms of specs). If I was in the market for a ~$1000 laptop for gaming that is what i'd get. Same thing I told my buddy.

#11 Posted by Ben_H (3343 posts) -

I would just stick to a Desktop for games, and use the Mac for everything else. That's what I do.

#12 Posted by MB (12274 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

I would just stick to a Desktop for games, and use the Mac for everything else. That's what I do.

That's exactly what I do, it works out great. Plus, with SteamPlay, I'm even able to play many mutli-platform games on my MacBook Air when I feel like it. It's well suited for adventure and puzzle games, stuff like that. I played Walking Dead on it with no issues.

Gaming laptops...mehhhh

Moderator
#13 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

@MB said:

@Ben_H said:

I would just stick to a Desktop for games, and use the Mac for everything else. That's what I do.

That's exactly what I do, it works out great. Plus, with SteamPlay, I'm even able to play many mutli-platform games on my MacBook Air when I feel like it. It's well suited for adventure and puzzle games, stuff like that. I played Walking Dead on it with no issues.

Gaming laptops...mehhhh

This is what I've been doing, but my desktop is a shared computer and is sometimes in use when I want to use it. Also, I recently started working at the local youth centre and there are large gaps of time where there isn't much to do. If I had a half decent laptop, I could game while I "work".

#14 Posted by Kidavenger (3532 posts) -

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/y-series/y580/

Look for coupon codes, there are alot of them out there, I think visa has a 25% off coupon if you use your visa to buy directly from the lenovo site.

#15 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

I think the ideal thing to do would be to increase your budget to the 1,400-1,500 dollar range. Im in a similar boat, need a new gaming machine and a desktop just doesn't quite fit my needs. I've decided to probably go with either of these machines:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_371&item_id=049461

http://www.excaliberpc.com/616733/msi-gt70-0nd-202us-17.3-steelseries.html

They're both pretty much in the same ballpark. The MSI has a bit more power under the hood (12 gigs of ram as opposed to 8 and a faster video card but with less video memory) but ASUS computers are apparently "better" put together and also is aesthetically better looking.

#16 Posted by EkajArmstro (385 posts) -
#17 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

@MB said:

@Ben_H said:

I would just stick to a Desktop for games, and use the Mac for everything else. That's what I do.

That's exactly what I do, it works out great. Plus, with SteamPlay, I'm even able to play many mutli-platform games on my MacBook Air when I feel like it. It's well suited for adventure and puzzle games, stuff like that. I played Walking Dead on it with no issues.

Gaming laptops...mehhhh

Welp, I hemmed and hawed and hemmed and hawed some more...but I eventually decided to take this advice! I ordered a new 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM from Crucial. I figure this will speed up my old ass 2008 MacBook unibody for everyday use, and I will just use my PC desktop (and Xbox 360) for gaming. Although, with Steam offering some Mac games and now GoG jumping on the Mac bandwagon, I may be able to play a few games on my MacBook.

Again, thanks for all the advice!

#18 Posted by Gonmog (580 posts) -

Most all 1000 buck gaming laptops will run all games at high end settings.

#19 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

So, I received and installed my 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM in my MacBook tonight...God damn, it's fast as fuck! Open Office used to take forever to open...now it's 1 to 2 seconds. Did I mention it's friggen fast now! WOW!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.