Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Overclock yet?

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By wosifat

So, I'm in the process of building a modest gaming rig.  Here are the specs at this point:
    - Cooler Master RC310 mini tower case
    - Cooler Master RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W Power Supply
    - ASUS M4A785-M Motherboard with onboard ATI Radeon 4200
    - AMD Athlon II X2 245 2.9GHz Dual Core Processor with stock CPU cooler
    - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 7200RPM 160GB SATA 3.0GB/s Hard Drive
    - (borrowed DVD ROM from my old computer, Toshiba, I think)
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM
    Haven't decided on a proper video card yet, and right now I don't have the money to buy one.  Right now, the most graphically demanding game I'm playing Batman: Arkham Asylum on 800x600 at low detail (still tripping me out that I have a computer that can run anything from the current generation of consoles, even from last year.)  The GRID demo will run, but I haven't played it much as it seems impossible to steer worth a crap with a keyboard.  The Just Cause 2 demo won't run, and the Street Fighter IV benchmark demo chugs at an average of around eightish at default settings.  I can crank it down to thirty with low detail on the background and fighters, but I only get a wireframe for a background.
    So, I'm considering overclocking.  Before it seemed too scary, but I think I may try it eventually.  But I'm wondering if I should with the stock CPU cooler (by the way, when I was nervous about getting the build juuuust right and actually reading the instructions for the CPU, it said that using aftermarket coolers would void the warranty.)  Could anyone give me advice on whether or not to attempt an OC, and maybe point me to a guide?  Thanks in advance.
    PS  There some stuff in the motherboard's manual about auto-overclocking settings for the CPU and GPU, but I'm not brave enough to mess with them just yet.
    PS (I forget where it's PPS or PSS, but another PS)  I KNEW I forgot something!  The Specs on the memory!  G SKILL 2GB DDR2800 memory module and a Crucial DDR2 800 memory module.  Why two different brands?  I was going with four gigs, but went with two to save money.  When I was assembling, I couldn't get any video.  One theory was a bad RAM stick, and the Crucial was what I could find at Office Max that was compatible.  When I finally got the computer working, it saw both sticks, so I have 4GB of RAM, which is probably the only reason the computer runs the games I'm attempting as well as it is right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.