Overclocking

#1 Posted by alkufai (23 posts) -

Do you buy cheaper gfx card,cpu and overclock it or do you go for the expensive ones?

#2 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

I have 2 8800GT's in SLI and I overclocked them to 700MHZ so....

#3 Posted by alkufai (23 posts) -

Nice, I have 2 8800GT's in SLI running at 750Mhz. Best price / performance ratio I think(the cards).

#4 Posted by Carlos (504 posts) -

I have one 8800GTX which I had overclocked for a while but it seems to run anything I throw at it on the normal settings, even crysis is nothing for the 8800GTX :D

#5 Posted by wood_duck (2 posts) -

I have never dabbled into the overclocking business before.

#6 Posted by Hitman101 (81 posts) -

Basically what I do is I look on Newegg.com for the graphics card with the most reviews and best price, buy that one and the overclock it.

#7 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

yeah i've never gone into the overclocking stuff either myself.... If you know what your doing and you make sure not to push the video cards, cpu's to much and have good enough cooling you should be okay.... but doesn't it burn out your cpu and gpu much faster when you start overclocking them? as their not supposed to be running at those speeds? i always wondered about that, coz i wouldn't wanna spend several hundred bucks on a card, overclock it, and then hav it fail after a year, if you guys know what i mean?

#8 Posted by Wasdie (14 posts) -

I just oc'ed a stock clocked EVGA 8800gts 640mb.

#9 Posted by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -

I like overclocking, atm i have an 8800GT clocked at 695/1000/1750 and my Athlon x2 4000 clocked at 2.6ghz (orig 2.1ghz)

#10 Posted by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -
alkufai said:
"Nice, I have 2 8800GT's in SLI running at 750Mhz. Best price / performance ratio I think(the cards).
"
Thats an awesome OC, im going to try and push my card further but i need better cooling, atm i have RivaTuner set up to launch my overclock (which i posted above) and 80% fanspeed when games startup by monitoring hardware acceleration. But even with the high fanspeed i need to put a fan next to my PC.
#11 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

i overclocked my 9600gtx

#12 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

i overclocked my 9600gtx

#13 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -

Ive noticed that the factory overclocked cards can reach much higher clocks than stock cards. But I generally overclock the cards myself. Saves money.

#14 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Too cowardly to overclock anything. Plus I don't know how.

I just have a 8600GTS

#15 Edited by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -
Termite said:
"Too cowardly to overclock anything. Plus I don't know how.

I just have a 8600GTS
"
Download RivaTuner and ATItools, once you read up a RivaTuner tutorial like this one you'll easily  be able to overclock and use ATItools artifact tester to test for artifacts, if you take your time the chance of damage is very very low.

#16 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

I bought an 8800GT, but my motherboard bitchslapped it. Now I'm running an 8600.

#17 Posted by Evz0rz (22 posts) -
License_To_Bill said:
"I bought an 8800GT, but my motherboard bitchslapped it. Now I'm running an 8600.
"

I don't understand what you mean. Could your motherboard not handle an 8800?
#18 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

I never see much point in overclocking the GFX card - but I see sense in overclocking CPU's - especially the Core 2 Duo's.
I've had my E6300 1.86GHz running at 2.8GHz - but I got a bit scared so it's now at 2.4GHz . I believe some people have had it running at up to 3.4GHz.
In this case, it definitely makes sense to buy the cheaper versions.

#19 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

I also OC'd my CPU, I have an E6600 which I overclocked from 2.4 GHz to 3.2 Ghz on a Zalman cooler which does the job pretty well IMO

#20 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -
TheBeast said:
"I never see much point in overclocking the GFX card - but I see sense in overclocking CPU's - especially the Core 2 Duo's.
I've had my E6300 1.86GHz running at 2.8GHz - but I got a bit scared so it's now at 2.4GHz . I believe some people have had it running at up to 3.4GHz.
In this case, it definitely makes sense to buy the cheaper versions.
"
Not when manufacturers bin their products, better overclockers go on to be made as factory overclocked editions. Just to make you pay more.
#21 Edited by alkufai (23 posts) -
VACkillers said:
"yeah i've never gone into the overclocking stuff either myself.... If you know what your doing and you make sure not to push the video cards, cpu's to much and have good enough cooling you should be okay.... but doesn't it burn out your cpu and gpu much faster when you start overclocking them? as their not supposed to be running at those speeds? i always wondered about that, coz i wouldn't wanna spend several hundred bucks on a card, overclock it, and then hav it fail after a year, if you guys know what i mean?
"
It's true overclocking will shorten the lifespan of the product, but not to that degree. A CPU that would last 10 years, will maybe last 8 years after overclocking. But then again who uses a CPU for more then 5 years.
#22 Posted by TheIneffableBob (243 posts) -

I buy cheaper things then overclock them. The GPU doesn't benefit as much from overclocking as the CPU, though.

#23 Posted by x3ar (236 posts) -

cheaper and forget overclocking

#24 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Iv never overclocked but it sounds good

#25 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

i dont over clock

#26 Posted by sculsoldi3r (1315 posts) -

make sure u dont screw up xD

#27 Posted by mrhankey (695 posts) -

i don't overclock graphics cards.....i overclock my processors.....ie my Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz @ 3.0ghz

#28 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

dunno if i wanna try overclocking sounds risky

#29 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

dunno if i wanna try overclocking sounds risky

#30 Posted by y0y0 (106 posts) -
unclejohnny79 said:
"dunno if i wanna try overclocking sounds risky
"
With technology these days its very hard to damage a card/cpu through overclocking. Overclocking is probably the best way to get more from a product however not all products Overclock well.
#31 Posted by Scratch (628 posts) -

i have 2 9800gtx, q6600 and I overclock it myself. To me, paying extra for something that I can do myself is just not worth it. As long as you have proper cooling and you work with caution taking small steps at a time, you should  be fine.

#32 Posted by Matrixfart (11 posts) -

Both. Prefer to buy proper and powerful components and then overclock them. Many high-end components overclock really well.

#33 Posted by OldElfin (20 posts) -

I usually run an overclock on most components that's a little above stock, and still quite within range of the temperature limits. Doesn't give much of a speed boost but enough that I can tell in benchmarks or the like.

#34 Posted by Merforga (262 posts) -

I haven't overclocked anything yet.  Once I get a new PC, and I'm ready to put this aside, I'll try to OC it just for kicks and see how it fares...

#35 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Yah, if u know someone thats good with compters than its a good idea
Dont read a manuel and  try

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.