Patient Sniper looking for good online FPS

#1 Posted by FakeKisser (339 posts) -

Hello all! 

I've been playing through Far Cry (never got to it before), and all that hiding in the jungle and stealth-sniping enemies from bushes has me itching to get into an online FPS as a sniper. 

6-10 years ago, I played games such as Team Fortress and Return to Castle Wolfenstein a lot.  I also played many other Half-Life mods as a sniper, whenever possible (I even played the Underworld mod quite a bit, since the sniping was pretty satisfying).  However, I got out of gaming for a while for grad school and have been gradually getting back into it over the last year or so.

So, I'd like to ask what games other people are playing in which patient sniping would be rewarded.  My first thought was ARMA, but I've never played it. 

I'm really excited about Brink, but that isn't coming out until next year, and it may be too fast paced to satisfy this particular interest. 

Thanks!!

#2 Posted by Sammo21 (3279 posts) -

Sniping in TF2 is really simple, but at the same time really fun.  I guess if you own a 360 Reach is coming out and so is Medal of Honor.  If you are wanting a hardcore sniper experience, I guess you could try and dig up one of the Sniper Elites games on the PS2 ( I think there may only be one, I cant remember).

#3 Posted by FakeKisser (339 posts) -

Thanks for the info. 

I'm set on playing on playing online FPSs on PC, especially because I have a Cyborg RAT 7 on the way. :) 

I should jump back into TF2.  I just remember it being all super fast paced, but I need to investigate the maps for snipe spots, I guess. 

Any other recommendations are still welcome!!!

#4 Posted by Swinghi (142 posts) -

Borderlands has great setups for sniper, the only issue is that Gamespy sucks but other than that I would do it.  And TF2 rocks always.

#5 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Didn't that Sniper: Ghost Warrior or something just come out.

#6 Posted by SpiralStairs (1020 posts) -
#7 Posted by Bjorn (104 posts) -

Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Modern Warfare 2, Battlefield 2 and Bad Company 2. Think Bad Company 2 is the number one sniper game. Despite Sniper: Ghost warrior wanting it different ;) But personally, I have about 200 hours "in-match" on Modern warfare 2, and its still hella fun. There are some drawbacks, but the combination of leveling and me being a lewt hussy makes me obligated to recommend it. Sniping is fun, but its not the main focus. Though you could easily spend 100+ hours with a Intervention sniper rifle and a M9 pistol. ;)

#8 Posted by FakeKisser (339 posts) -

The Sniper games have gotten mixed reception, so I've been nervous about them, but they are pretty cheap... 

I probably should get into Bad Company 2.  I've been thinking about that for a while. 

@Bjorn Do you think Black Ops will take you off of MW2?  I wasn't interested in Black Ops at first, but the newer coverage is enticing me. 

#9 Posted by Lunarbunny (1025 posts) -

I haven't played too much of it, but Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2 you had to be reeeally patient. Depending on everything, you would only have 1-2 snipers per team (I think I remember a queue for the spot). I played one time where I was basically not found the entire time.

#10 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (434 posts) -

I'd suggest something like MAG or Socom confrontation for sniping, but for a complete game Bad Company 2 is the best bet.  Also Battlefield 1943 if your low on money.

#11 Posted by Bjorn (104 posts) -

Think Black Ops will be a different game completely. And if not, we won't know until it comes out really. World at War is not a good pointer, because its a WW2 shooter and the weapons in those games are completely different. Personally, I think that Medal of Honor will be a good contender. Sure, the beta maps where boring as hell, but it was a beta for a reason... I hope. MW 2 will be played for quite some time after Black Ops, maybe until Respawn Entertainment come with their first game. So its still worth buying if that's what you're worried about.

Bottom Line: Anything that Treyarch has done so far with the CoD name points towards a no. CoD 2 is a much better game than both CoD 3 and CoD 5 World at War. But we can hope ;)

#12 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Battlefield bad company 2 is a fun sniping game.

#13 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -
@FakeKisser: counterstrike!
#14 Posted by FakeKisser (339 posts) -
@pwnasaurus said:
" @FakeKisser: counterstrike! "
Oh wow.  I didn't know counterstrike had many snipers.  Back when I played (again, it was forever ago), it just seemed like everything was about running from one location to another and taking out people in close quarters.  Thanks! 

I'm pretty much settled on buying BFBC2.  I just need to find the time to commit to it.  :)
#15 Posted by SSully (4189 posts) -

Hmmm  counterstrike and tf2 are pretty satisfying as a sniper. Also theres an older game called joint operatoins which is a military shooter basically, anyways the multiplayer maps are open world so its kind of a sniper dream. Whenever i used to snipe in that game i would spend 30 mins getting to the perfect vantage point, im talking driving a dirtbike to a mountain 700 yards away from an objective, crawl through the weeds into a perfect spot and have at it. You even have to adjust your scope depending on the distance if im not mistaken. 

#16 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -
@FakeKisser said:
"Thanks!  I'm pretty much settled on buying BFBC2.  I just need to find the time to commit to it.  :) "
Good choice. I would have recommended BC2, it's the best sniping I've ever experienced in a game. The f'ing bullets drop with distance. There's lots of shitty snipers in BC2, but a really good one stands out just as well.
#17 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -
@FakeKisser: well you gotta be patient cause you'll probably die alot i know i do! but badcompany is the best choice i have it its great.
#18 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -
@Icil said:
" @FakeKisser said:
"Thanks!  I'm pretty much settled on buying BFBC2.  I just need to find the time to commit to it.  :) "
Good choice. I would have recommended BC2, it's the best sniping I've ever experienced in a game. The f'ing bullets drop with distance. There's lots of shitty snipers in BC2, but a really good one stands out just as well. "
I don't even normally play snipers in games (I used to all the time), but I immediately got hooked on the sniping in BC2.  If you get it on PC, let me know, I'll play with you.
#19 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Sniping in TF2 on Orange maps is pretty sweet.

#20 Posted by ROBdaMOB (174 posts) -

bad company 2 I would highly recommend  
sick variety of sniper rifles 
long distance shots where you have to aim above the head to hit  
and mortar strikes are fun  

#21 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -
@ROBdaMOB said:
" bad company 2 I would highly recommend  sick variety of sniper rifles long distance shots where you have to aim above the head to hit  and mortar strikes are fun   "
IGNORE THIS MAN! Patiently sniping is the worst thing anyone can do in a battlefield game, don't become one of them.

If you want to snipe, i recommend TF2, or Counter Strike.
#22 Posted by Brutal_Bisp (146 posts) -

I highly recommend Battlefield: Bad Company 2. The sniping in that game is seriously hardcore. You can snipe a player from all way across the map (BC2 has huge maps) if you arc the shot correctly. It's not easy, but highly entertaining and rewarding. I got 675 points for one head shot from the back of the map.

#23 Posted by Brutal_Bisp (146 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
" @ROBdaMOB said:
" bad company 2 I would highly recommend  sick variety of sniper rifles long distance shots where you have to aim above the head to hit  and mortar strikes are fun   "
IGNORE THIS MAN! Patiently sniping is the worst thing anyone can do in a battlefield game, don't become one of them.  If you want to snipe, i recommend TF2, or Counter Strike. "
Snipers in BC2 can be a very productive class if used properly. I will admit, most the time they are not used it such a way.
#24 Posted by ROBdaMOB (174 posts) -
@Mikemcn: I know why your saying that  a good majority of people who wanna snipe in that game suck. 
the worst is when your playing rush and you have a whole gang of snipers just trying to snipe instead of taking the objectives. 
but as yousuck137 mentioned snipers when used properly are a great class  
#25 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
#26 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Bad Company 2 is good for sniping but the last thing it needs is another sniper if you catch my drift.

Last time I played the game online, my entire team consisted of snipers basically sniping over one another's shoulders as one thick target for the enemy....sigh.

#27 Posted by commandercup (500 posts) -

Get ARMA. you obviously want a milsim experience and ARMA is your best bet.

#28 Posted by Tennmuerti (8104 posts) -

BFBC2
Just don't become your avarage sniping wannabe. Most sniperrs in BFBC2 are quite shit and are a drain on their team. However from time to time you meet really good snipers that  are truly an asset and are not only skilled but know how to help their team even on offense on Rush.

#29 Posted by Mitch0712 (472 posts) -

I really enjoy sniping in the Call of Duty series

#30 Posted by Zenoside (37 posts) -

Bad Company 2
If you snipe though, be at least somewhat useful. As a sniper you can do mortars and hit people in the head from forever away, true. But for the love of god use your SPOT, and your SENSOR BALLS. Nothing sucks more than a crappy sniper helping no-one but himself.

#31 Posted by Sn1PeR (141 posts) -

Sniping in bad company 2 is a lot of fun.  Bullet take time to travel, drop over long distances, and penetrate weaker materials.  I think that is the game you are looking for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.