Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC gamers-how d'you deal with the disadvantages of this platform?

• 81 results
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Hunkulese said:
    " There are tons of games where a controller feels just as good as a mouse and keyboard"
    umm. no ? wait let me rephrase: fuck no :P 

@Hunkulese said:
    " and who doesn't want a more powerful gaming device hooked up to their 50" plasma? "
    im not sure on this: are plasma TVs available of giving me high resolutions and visual settings ?  i played Uncharted 2 and Red Dead Redemption on my PS3 on a HD TV and the graphics everyone praises are nothing compared to what i get on my PC's 22 inch Samsung SyncMaster.  so yes, i dont want to hook it up to the TV because A) graphics arent everything, but they sure as hell matter alot and B) PC monitor feels cosier  C) the HD TV in my house is in the living room.......... "
    Why would you compare how graphics on your TV with a PS3 look compared how your PC looks? A modern PC is much more powerful than a PS3. Look at the console version of Dead Rising 2 compared to the PC version. If you want the absolute best experience from multiplatform games you hook your PC to your plasma and grab a controller. I'm not saying the controller is the best option for everything but a lot of multiplatform games feel better when used with the controlling device the game was designed around. Dead Space, Assassin's Creed, Darksiders, Batman AA and all racing and sports games control better with a controller.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Like this. See the gamepad there? Also I have a couch behind this confortable chair. Also you might not see it, I have a home theater system and really big speakers all around this rig incase you talk about sound.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By EdIsCool
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Like this. See the gamepad there? Also I have a couch behind this confortable chair.

No Caption Provided

"
    same case duder!
    Xtacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Xtacles

All of the problems you listed have nothing to do PC gaming and could be just as easily be applied to Console gaming. Same with the whole argument that PC gaming is a solitary thing, move your PC to a more heavily used area by other members of the house then. Stretch your neck and back hourly, play with where your mouse and keyboard are located and find a more comfortable way of sitting. Is it something wrong specifically with the chair or how you are sitting?

Also, for the last time. If your TV supports 1080P and you don't sit 30cm away from it, it will look just as good as a 24 inch monitor running the same resolution. As Hitman said above, the DPI difference is negligible at 2-3 meters. Your arguments against the legitimate suggestions are becoming increasingly juvenile, you can't be helped if you're not willing to help yourself here.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#55  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

im not sure on this: are plasma TVs available of giving me high resolutions and visual settings ?  i played Uncharted 2 and Red Dead Redemption on my PS3 on a HD TV and the graphics everyone praises are nothing compared to what i get on my PC's 22 inch Samsung SyncMaster.  so yes, i dont want to hook it up to the TV because A) graphics arent everything, but they sure as hell matter alot and B) PC monitor feels cosier  C) the HD TV in my house is in the living room.......... "

IQ (image quality) isn't just about resolution and a more powerful system. Take a look at Dead Rising 2 for an example. Even if you run the PC game at 720p it still looks and plays much better than the console versions. The console version have lower-res textures, poorer post-processing effects, etc.
    Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " Yes we love this brilliant crystal ball sitting on our desks sucking the life out of us by being our drug of choice.  

However ! 
    1. Eyes = burning the fuck up cuz you cant sit a few meters back like u do when playing on consoles (major headache right now because of that)
    2. Back and Neck = the same unhealthy posture for several hours a day? i wake up everyday with pains all over my fucking neck 
    3. Arms = stretched in front of us all day long with one of them holding onto a small object and moving it around? THEY'RE ABOUT TO FREEZE IN THIS POSITION AND IT HURTS !  gamepads allow you to rest your arms as you please :( 
    4. Butt = you cant game on the PC while sitting your fat ass in a big comfy couch! the best you can get is a fancy chair, and thats not good enough for hours after hours of gaming... 

Edit: im only comparing to consoles just for the sake of comparison. playing all my games with a controller and connecting my computer to a TV defeats the purpose of playing on a PC   So what do i do now? my eyes are scorching, my neck is killing me, my ass hurts and my arms need a break.. not to mention the fucking headache. but i dont wanna give it a break because i wanna game and i got  else to do!I think this is a Dilemma.. help your PC bro out :P "
    What you need to do? Walk it off, you pussy. 

That and take the tips from the kind people throwing you replies here somewhat seriously.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By mosdl

Best place to get really good chairs cheap are office furniture liquidators - bad economy can make finding expensive office chairs for a fraction of the price pretty easy.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By subject2change

Lower brightness, don't slouch, get a chair that doesn't suck, stretch every once in a while. 

Thread over.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#59  Edited By Sin4profit

i use to have a PC hooked up to a TV and i played mouse and keyboard games on it from the couch ::shrugs:: 
    Just get a console and learn the balance to what makes a decent console game and a decent PC game...then when you need a break from playing the PC games, play the console.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By 137

1 don't play in a dark room 
    2 buy an ergonomic tray and stop slouching like a bum.  
    3 high back chair and a pillow for your ass 
    4 ikea seats suck.  

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ryanwho

I use a Macbook pro and a controller so I don't really have any of those problems. You wanna live in a magical world where TVs don't mess your eyes up but computers do, well that's nice, just know it has no basis in reality. A little common sense solves all the 'problems' you listed, so I guess how I deal with it is Im not a dumbass.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By warxsnake
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" Yes we love this brilliant crystal ball sitting on our desks sucking the life out of us by being our drug of choice.  

However ! 
    1. Eyes = burning the fuck up cuz you cant sit a few meters back like u do when playing on consoles (major headache right now because of that)
    2. Back and Neck = the same unhealthy posture for several hours a day? i wake up everyday with pains all over my fucking neck 
    3. Arms = stretched in front of us all day long with one of them holding onto a small object and moving it around? THEY'RE ABOUT TO FREEZE IN THIS POSITION AND IT HURTS !  gamepads allow you to rest your arms as you please :( 
    4. Butt = you cant game on the PC while sitting your fat ass in a big comfy couch! the best you can get is a fancy chair, and thats not good enough for hours after hours of gaming...   

1. PC gaming is not limited to monitors on desks. 
    2. PC gaming is not limited to your desk and office chair. You can sit on your couch (which for some reason is healthier??)  and play PC games. 
    3. I'm guessing you are talking about desks here; arms are in good resting position as long as you have a good height setup relative to your desk. Also PC gaming is not limited to the mouse and keyboard. You can play your games any way you conceive, including the use of a Xbox controller, PS3 controller among hundreds of other ergonomic peripherals. 
    4. Yes I do. But I prefer gaming @ my room desk instead of on the couch in front of my 46" LG anyway. Good ergonomic chairs are a million times better than sitting on a couch if health is your concern.  
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By owl_of_minerva

It takes adjustment and reeducation before you can rejoin the PC master race. Pretty soon you won't notice a thing.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ryanwho

Smart people are nerds, physically healthy people are dumb jocks. There's a negative word for the best version of everything. We're just like Nazis, sick burn. That totally makes us look bad, not you, when you evoke Nazis like that. Well played.

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By velucyraptor

Came in here foaming at the mouth ready to defend my beloved from whatever supposed 'disadvantages' had been mentioned, unsure as to whether I'm relieved or disappointed they were all posture issues? Personally I've far more back/neck/arms/butt issues playing consoles, as there's nothing in the sofa to prevent me from sliding so far down into the damned thing that my spine essentially presses flat against the seat section &my chin gets intimate with my collarbone.
    Desk chairs, however, can be far more supportive. Firm understanding of ergonomics = problems solved

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Devildoll

most of those issues arnt really pc related , you need a good environment , get a proper desk and chair . and the burning eyes thing is pretty personal .

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Meowshi
    @ryanwho said:
    " Smart people are nerds, physically healthy people are dumb jocks. There's a negative word for the best version of everything. We're just like Nazis, sick burn. That totally makes us look bad, not you, when you evoke Nazis like that. Well played. "
    People say that Yahtzee isn't a good reviewer, but you cannot claim that he isn't influential.  He basically started that whole meme and now you can't go a single thread without someone mentioning it.   

For some reason dirty console gaming peasants didn't take off the same way.   
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By melcene
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

However ! 

Edit: im only comparing to consoles just for the sake of comparison. playing all my games with a controller and connecting my computer to a TV defeats the purpose of playing on a PC   So what do i do now? my eyes are scorching, my neck is killing me, my ass hurts and my arms need a break.. not to mention the fucking headache. but i dont wanna give it a break because i wanna game and i got  else to do!I think this is a Dilemma.. help your PC bro out :P "
    1.  I work on a puter all day anyway.  I'm used to sitting fairly close to my screen. 
    2.  Not sure why YOU stay in the same position for several hours.  I change up my position often, get up to stretch, etc.  As others have said, posture has a lot to do with it too.  Don't blame the PC cause yer doing it wrong. 
    3.  Stretched out?  What kind of setup do you have?  When I'm at a computer my arms have a nice, comfortable bend to them just as they would if I were sitting on the couch with a controller in my lap. 
    4.  The right chair is just as good as a couch.  It doesn't have to be all fancy.  Go to a department store, furniture store, or office supply store where you can try out the chair first.  Read reviews online.  Make sure it's a chair that doesn't feel like you're sitting on a piece of wood after 3 months.
    GreyFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By GreyFox

You just get used to it and it becomes normal.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

none of your points are really a problem to me. Seems like 2 to 4 can be solved by getting a decent chair/desk. With 1 I never had any issues, maybe you need glasses?

Bismarck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By Bismarck
    @litrock said:
    " 1.  Turn down your brightness?  Don't sit for hours?  Blink?  I mean, if you work a job where you sit at a computer, it's the same thing. 2.  Proper posture in an office chair is way more possible than in a couch.  Sit up.  Back straight.   3.  Proper posture will help this.  Google 'ergonomics' 4.  See 2, 3. "
    this
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By iam3green

get a better chair and sit better.

arca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By arca

My butt is just fine sitting on this absolutely amazing leather computer chair. It's actually better than my couch.  
    Also 1 sounds like you need glasses because I use to have a similar problem until I realised I had bad eyesight and got some specs and contact lenses.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By hero_swe

What disadvantages?
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

when you said  disadvantages i thought you meant by all the xbox360 and ps3 exclusives...
    To answer your query.
    Eyes - my sight is just fine, im not really glued to my screen, maybe 30-35 cm away.But when i started out with my PC after 4-5 hours of non stop gaming or web cruising it could really hurt yeah...
    Arms, butt, back and neck, i dont feel those things any more...
    I am considering getting a console though.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#76  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Ahmad_Metallic: 
    1.  don't use a monitor that hurts your eyes. I work all day looking at a monitor and come home to play games for several hours without any strain. If you have eye problems either your brightness/contrast settings are bad  or your monitor is (or your actual eyes, but that would be bad) oh could also be sunlight reflection.
    2. I personally continuously change posture. It has become a natural habit and I do it without even thinking. As soon as you start feeling the strain, shift weight. Or buy a good chair/armchair. Or sit properly. Either of the 3 options can solve this problem.
    3. Your arms are not getting enough support. If playing at a desk then simplest thing is to move the keyboard and mouse inwards to give arms space on the desk and to sit so that the lower arm is almost parallel to the table and resting on it.
    4.  It's actually quite easy to get your ass comfy. I personally like to game on the bed. But one of my friends has a low desk for gaming so he uses a super comfy armchair and the mouse + keyboard are resting on a wooden board that is lying across the armchair handles, it's super comfortable.

Hope this helps a lot of this is easily done. 
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#77  Edited By EpicSteve
    @Jimbo said:
    " 1-4: Don't be a pussy. "
    Yeah, not to sound like an ass, but if sitting at a computer desk hurts you, that's a good indication that you're out of shape. Also, get out of the chair once every three hours. i mean, you do need to eat and utilize the bathroom. 
    SaucySala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SaucySala

My comp chair is more comfy than my couch. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
    deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't play games. 

I watch other people play games for me.

kittencake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By kittencake

i always get what i call "mousehand"... WAHHH MY RIGHT HAND IS FREEZING COLD! i have tried wearing a single glove like michael jackson. it doesn't work.

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By NobodyHIFI

disadvantages?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.