PC games that I should get that are not on Steam

#1 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

I'm planning on getting a rather comprehensive PC games collection so I need helping in identifying good games which are not found on Steam. Preferably keep these no older than the past 3-4 years, unless you really believe I should play them. Also, no MMOs (I think for obvious reasons)

I currently have: 

Sims 3  
Battleforge 
League of Legends

I know of: 

Viva Pinata 
Gears of War 
Fable 
Demigod 
Sins of a Solar Empire 
Halo + Halo 2 
Flight Simulator X 
X-Blades (for giggles) 
Pure 

Anything else? Thanks. 

#2 Posted by Zidd (1841 posts) -

Most any recent PC game worth buying is available on steam. 

#3 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

Check out gog.com. They're much older than 3-4 years, with a few exceptions, but many of them are legit classics. 

As far as games you should track down at retail, I'd go for the Baldur's Gate series and Planescape: Torment. There are some terrific patches that get them running in widescreen and at high resolutions and the art will simply blow you away, especially in Planescape.

#4 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

Quake 4 isn't on Steam, I think.  Decent game.   Can't really think of anything else off the top of my head, though.

As for some older games not on Steam that I'd highly recommend...  No One Lives Forever, Diablo 2, Red Alert 2, and all of the Myst games (Myst 1 is skippable if you're really not into playing older games, but Riven, Myst 3-5, and Uru are all very playable today) spring to mind.

#5 Posted by evildeadron (830 posts) -

galactic civilations 2  
#6 Posted by BobbyStrong (15 posts) -

Weird request, but I'll oblige.

All the Homeworlds and Freelancer can keep you busy for a long time.

#7 Posted by Dipstick (547 posts) -

I noticed you had League of Legends on your list of owned games. Might I suggest Heroes of Newerth then?  

It's alot less "n00b" friendly than LOL is but it's a more in-depth game.

#8 Posted by Asembo (98 posts) -
@evildeadron said:
" galactic civilations 2   "
Yeah, everything by Stardock really.
Freelancer
Risen (Available in Europe, but why would you buy full priced games from Steam if you're european)
SWAT 4
KOTOR 2?
#9 Posted by DudeFromJersey (53 posts) -
@Geno: Baldur's Gate!!!
#10 Posted by Pazy (2563 posts) -

Freelancer! A space combat/trading games, I have particuler love the multiplayer which is server based with a bunch of other people trading/killing etc. at the same time often with clan controlled areas (who have their own rules which you should obey, or kill them...).

#11 Posted by WASDF (111 posts) -

Well I've heard System Shock 2 is quite good. I've not gotten that far in it. Gonna start playing it right now, actually.

#12 Edited by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot the 'not on steam' part.

#13 Posted by comrademcpherson (44 posts) -
@Geno: Planescape Torment is a great old school RPG. It looks super dated, but if you can handle that, then I'd go play it.
#14 Posted by warxsnake (2645 posts) -

homeworld series. 

#15 Posted by ErrorOperator (458 posts) -

So why are you spefically asking for games that arent on steam, you can buy them boxed anyway. And most of the good PC games are most probably on steam now!

#16 Posted by warxsnake (2645 posts) -
@ErrorOperator said:
" So why are you spefically asking for games that arent on steam, you can buy them boxed anyway. And most of the good PC games are most probably on steam now! "
There are a ton of classic PC games that arent on Steam and are not sold in stores anymore, or that are still sold and are not optimized for new OSes (vista/7/64bit)

Bullfrog games (syndicate, populous, theme hospital, dungeon keeper) 
Mechwarrior series 
Heavy Gear series 
Homeworld series 
Wing Commander series 
Privateer series 
Starlancer 
Freelancer 
Freespace series 
Full Janes series (F/A 18, F15, Apache Longbow) 
old NFS games (Porsche Unleashed) 
Startopia 
Xwing and Tie Fighter series / xwing Alliance 
Battlezone series 
Tribes series 
Mech Commander series 
etc
#17 Posted by ThePantheon (716 posts) -

The Neverhood.

#18 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@ErrorOperator said:
"So why are you spefically asking for games that arent on steam, you can buy them boxed anyway. And most of the good PC games are most probably on steam now! "

As mentioned in the first post I'm looking to get a comprehensive PC games collection (as in the "must plays"). Steam doesn't have all games (just looking at relatively recent games, it doesn't carry Sims 3 or Gears of War for instance). So I'm just wanting to know what else is out there.
#19 Edited by Jimi (1126 posts) -

VVVVVV

#20 Posted by Jayson (7 posts) -
@Geno: Need For Speed: Most Wanted can be had for a tenner and is arguably the finest recent Need For Speed aside from the more Sim-like Shift.  The only issue I have had with it is a lack of widescreen without some resolution hacking, but it looks and plays great even on Win 7 x64.  Give it a whirl.
#21 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@evildeadron said:
" galactic civilations 2   "
I've been hearing so much about that game, but I don't know anything about it.
#22 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Geno said:
" @ErrorOperator said:
"So why are you spefically asking for games that arent on steam, you can buy them boxed anyway. And most of the good PC games are most probably on steam now! "
As mentioned in the first post I'm looking to get a comprehensive PC games collection (as in the "must plays"). Steam doesn't have all games (just looking at relatively recent games, it doesn't carry Sims 3 or Gears of War for instance). So I'm just wanting to know what else is out there. "
I don't know why Sims 3 isn't on Steam. EA has most of their recent library on there. Gears of War reason being it's published by Microsoft. There's a few other titles that aren't on Steam that I have. 

Bioshock 
Hellgate London (other people says it sucks, but I find it good) 
Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth I & II  
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 
Jade Empire  

And there's other things like everyone else has mentioned like  
Knights of the Old Republic II 
Diablo II
#23 Posted by evildeadron (830 posts) -

@ch13696:

its a turn based 4x strategy game, much like the old master of orion games. The difference is that every aspect of this game is polished to a spit shine, and in my opinion it's the best space 4x game ever made, and the second best turn based strategy game after civ 4. 

you can colonize planets 

you can design your own ships 

you can research tech 

you can make moral choices  

and you can take direct control of fleet batlles  

anyone with even a passing interest should check it out
#24 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

Dungen Keeper 1 & 2. Both are really good and classics. 

R.I.P BULLFROG.
#25 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -
#26 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I just want to second your opinion on gears of war, I think you will like that game, it's sort of like mass effect 2 for the cover system. It's not an easy game to find in stores anymore. Also on your list, stay away from halo, you need a ghetto pc to run it on one core, or it doesn't run that well at all with more modern hardware. It's a bit overated and the graphics are like HL1 quality.

#27 Posted by James0890 (69 posts) -

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but you can't get the original Supreme Commander on Steam.

#28 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -
@Seedofpower said:
" Dungen Keeper 1 & 2. Both are really good and classics.  R.I.P BULLFROG. "
This, getting 1 to work on windows 7 was a nightmare though.

Theme Hospital
Diablo II and Warcraft 3/TFT also.
#29 Posted by Kalbrik (3 posts) -

Thief Gold 
Thief II: The Metal Age  
Master of Orion II  
System Shock II 
The Neverhood
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire
Descent series 
Freespace series 
Any Black Isle game not part of the Fallout franchise 
Any Blizzard game 
Any Stardock game 

Most people who are into 4X space strategy games favor Master of Orion II over GalCiv II.  MoO II is very old, however.

#30 Posted by Rehehelly (414 posts) -

Total Annihilation.

#31 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

Just letting you know that some of these are on Direct2Drive, just so ya know.  Know it isn't the topic, but if the reason you're having trouble procuring them is because they're not availible digitally, they are availible digitally.

#32 Posted by DoctorOptimist (502 posts) -

Battlezone! One of the best and most underrated first-person shooters ever created. It came out in 1998, same year where Half-Life, and it was a much better game. Oh yeah, I went there fanboys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.