Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC Gaming?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

For some reason today, I took up in interest in PC gaming. I've always been a console person, so this is pretty strange for me. I have 2 questions. First of all, is PC gaming worth it (like, is it fun?). Second of all, if it is worth it/fun, what's a good gaming laptop that isn't too expensive?

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CowMuffins

Uh, you will have no fun PC gaming if you use a laptop.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By spankingaddict

pc gaming is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By artofwar420
    @natetodamax: Welcome to the a new age of gaming Natetodamax, I don't recommend a laptop for gaming though, it's much easier to updgrade a desktop computer rather than a laptop. Of course it's worth it, obviously it's fun, wait... what is this a troll thread?
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Seedofpower
    @natetodamax:  Yeah, pc gaming is worth it. Ive been playing Pc games all my life. Steam give good deals and Moddb site is a Pc gamers best friend. Also, don't get a laptop it isn't really worth for gaming. Trust me.
    inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By inkeiren

PC gaming is wonderful, but really expensive. If you have the cash, and you are into FPSes or RTSes or are obsessed with graphics, PC gaming is worth it.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

Depends on what you want to play and what platforms you already own these days.  It's worth far less to me than it was 5, 10, or 15 years ago.  I still have found some fun things to play on my new PC that I wasn't able to play before, and playing Civ IV is always fun, at least until spearmen take down my choppers.

Laptops are far from an optimal way to enjoy PC gaming, and they're not really very portable.  You're far better served using a DS or PSP for portable gaming, and with a desktop for PC gaming.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Snail

PC gaming is as hardcore as gaming gets. Welcome to the group.

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Psyx2

Of course PC gaming is worth it. It's always been ideal for me, for the controls, and if you keep it up to date it can run things at higher graphics settings than you would on consoles. And it's not extremely expensive, as long as you make the effort to actually look for the right deals. But it is true that consoles are cheaper in the long run.

I wouldn't suggest a gaming laptop for anything recent. I use my laptop to play older shooters and stuff, but anything recent will just overheat most laptops, even newer ones. Not to mention it's more ideal to use an actual mouse as opposed to a laptop's touchpad (and if you put the thing on a desk and plug in a mouse, you might as well have a desktop). It's much cheaper just to build your own computer.

PC gaming might be a bit slow recently, but it's well worth it even if only for older games. And by the looks of it, the PC will actually have some great new releases this year; it's picking up a bit.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eclipsesis

PC gaming is bab

Flame sheild

na its okay really i love RTS's and PC RPG's, but i would advise against a laptop.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Hamst3r
    @natetodamax said:
    " For some reason today, I took up in interest in PC gaming. I've always been a console person, so this is pretty strange for me. I have 2 questions. First of all, is PC gaming worth it (like, is it fun?). Second of all, if it is worth it/fun, what's a good gaming laptop that isn't too expensive? "
    Hahaha, Gaming Laptop? Silly Nate, you can't buy that which does not exist!

As for PC gaming, it's awesome! I highly suggest checking out the indie games scene. If you want a guided tour; Bytejacker's videos, Tigsource's database and Destructoid's Indie Nation articles will get you the best stuff really quick.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#12  Edited By citizenkane

Moving this to the PC forum.

sd_jasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sd_jasper

Everyone so down on laptops.  My XPS is great (thanks to MobileForce).

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic

PC gaming is very very amusing i think, i love it. no problem with the Mouse and Keyboard being the controllers whatsoever.

a good laptop for gaming that would be cheap? i dunno i suck at these things im sure someone else here is more qualified.. my machine is a beast though
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Well, I'd say it's worth it but you absolutely need a 360 gamepad to fully enjoy all the console ports. That, of course, kinda turns the PC back into a quasi console again and renders the whole idea somewhat moot. As far as laptops go - forget it, unless you have crazy amounts of money. Anything cheaper than 1000$ is a waste, depending on the games you want to play.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16  Edited By natetodamax

Well, I said laptop because it would be much more convenient for me personally. I really don't have much room for a desktop, but if that's the way to go I could certainly find a way to make space.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#17  Edited By Eder

Laptops are fine for gaming if you get a good one. I played WoW: WOTLK just fine

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Eder said:
    " Laptops are fine for gaming if you get a good one. I played WoW: WOTLK just fine "
    WoW is hardly something that strains hardware at all.

I'd go with a Desktop and it is worth it mate, trust me.
    Synchronatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Synchronatic

Go for a desktop, you won't regret it. I love console gaming myself, but no matter what happens I always end up playing games on my PC instead. There's something about it that just draws me...

Also, to the haters that will say that PC Gaming is dead I have three things to say: Diablo 3. Starcraft 2. Superior FPS controls.

Wooooo!!! Welcome to the world of PC Gaming, may you enjoy it as much as I have.

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fallen_elite

Gaming laptops are fine for games but you will be paying a lot and they don't really even compare to the performance you would get in a desktop.

If you really feel the need to get a laptop though keep in mind that the video card is the most important component that you will have to worry about. because you probably won't ever be able to upgrade that video card without buying a whole new computer.

Personally I prefer desktop gaming because of the upgradability and the fact that you get a lot more for your dollar.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crunchUK
    @Snail said:
    " PC gaming is as hardcore as gaming gets. Welcome to the group. "
    you say that as if its a good thing...
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Gunner

PC gaming is awesome if you know were the look for games.

Small indie companies tend to make much better games than major companies when it comes to PC gaming, of course there are exceptions but smaller companies tend to have a more loyal and concentrated, not to mention the modding community is so much bigger.

Also, like everyone else has said, if your going to play games on the PC, desktop is the only way to go.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I just got a Macbook Pro and have started playing Team Fortress 2 (fuck I suck at that game). I've been a console whore my entire life, but after listening to so much GFW Radio, how could I not try PC gaming. Yeah, I know, I'm using a mac, but fuck it, I'm never buying a fucking Windows, even if that means I can't play an extremely overwhelming portion of the games I'd like to play.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Snail
    @crunchUK said:
    " @Snail said:
    " PC gaming is as hardcore as gaming gets. Welcome to the group. "
    you say that as if its a good thing... "
    That's because it is.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NoXious

I tried to game on a laptop for a while, I don't suggest it - hardware gets outdated fast AND it's clumsy if ya ask me.

Beyond that, PC gaming is great for CRPG / FPS / RTS - and some ports of games. I, for example, enjoyed Overlord 2 on the PC with ma Xbox 360 controller attached.

There's alot of Indie games out there aswell, which have really great ideas for usually cheap prices. [Trine comes to mind, although it costs a bit more then the usual indie game]

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Ish

PC gaming is the bomb.

I honestly cannot go back to consoles alone. 
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By mikemcn

PC gaming is fun, just a little more tricky to get into. Get a game with good mod support, thats one of the best aspects of computers, people can make anything they want. You can get a good gaming laptop for 1000 bucks, i bet even cheaper, i prefer a desktop though.

and GET STEAM

its the best thing you can do

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
    deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I've always tried to swear myself off of PC gaming, as it's more expensive and high maintenance than consoles, but I never have. As far as enjoyable and long-lasting gaming experiences go, PC usually trumps consoles for me. Don't get me wrong, I love console gaming. But PC gaming feels more personal, and playing online is a much better experience because players are more communicative. And at LAN parties, which I often attend, PC is always more fun.

And I'd go with a desktop, not a laptop if you want it for gaming. Desktops are more functional and generally last longer if you get a good one.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jambones
    @inkeiren said:
    " PC gaming is wonderful, but really expensive. If you have the cash, and you are into FPSes or RTSes or are obsessed with graphics, PC gaming is worth it. "
    I don't think it's that expensive really. $30-40 for a game on average I think, rather than $50-60. Also you can pick up a decent card for less than $200. I love consoles but it's hard to ignore the inherent value of gaming on PCs.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By L33tfella_H

Pc 4 Lyf D00d.

Avatar image for canadiantoastzombie
    canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A) PC gaming is awesome

B) PC gaming is not dead, it's just that console is bigger

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.