Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC Gaming: an outsider's introduction

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By SonicFire

Well, it's probably overdue, but I finally bought a machine that can run PC games. I've been an Apple user for many years, but after being burned many times by component failures on their laptops, I decided to buy a PC as a security measure. After all, I've seen 2 Macbooks come and go in the time my 10-year old Dell still clung to life. It's a bad day when you have to rely on the 8 year old computer when your $2000 Macbook pro fails... 

Anyways, while I decided to still buy a small laptop, I went with the new Alienware m11x, which by all accounts is an impressive machine for its small size. While I'm not going to be playing Crysis anytime soon, it'll run about anything else, which has let me dive firmly into PC gaming. I've been a lifelong console gamer, but have missed the PC experience since at least the days when Unreal Tournament (the original) was the new hotness. But hearing about the sorts of titles unique to PC, I always figured it was a shame I'm missing out. So suffice to say, the first thing I did when my computer arrived was set up my Steam account, and start downloading. Beginning with Portal (which I'd played on 360) and moving to the Witcher, Fear 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and what little else I can afford. Not to weaken the experience, I made sure to have a nice docking station set up (Samsung 1080p monitor, Razer Deathadder Mouse, and Razer Lachesis Keyboard).  

In the week or so I've been into it, the breadth and diversity of games out there is astounding. Steam is amazing, and the ability to download and launch a library of games is addictive to say the least. I'm a long way from getting into the online and mod communities, as understanding basic functionality is taking some time. For a console guy, WASD and arrow key controls are taking some time. And will the mouse is definitely preferrable for FPS targeting, it's not quite as tactile as the dual-analog setup (at least not to me, yet).  

The one thing I can say for PC games is that they are flexible, and in the best way possible. Just the ability to adjust visual options to maximize your setup is a real lifesaver. For an underpowered CPU like the m11x has, it results in an interesting tradeoff between fidelity and framerate. Yet I can play most things at least at medium, and this still tends to look better than console. In playing through FEAR 2, the one thing that's striking is the fact that framerates are not locked like in cosole versions, meaning that you can run games at ridiculous rates (if your computer can support it). And I'd forgotten how beautiful it was to see a game haul at a native 120+ fps.  

In the immediate term, I don't see myself jumping over entirely to the PC. After all, I didn't buy a powerhouse machine, and I don't have any online communities on the PC that make me want to abandon XBL or PSN anytime soon. Granted, if I ever play an MMO, that'll change quickly. But I will say that while it lasts, the PC experience is both addictive and positive. It's a shame that piracy dominates this medium in the way that it does, as I think we're reaching a point where the awesome PC exclusive title is becoming a thing of the past, except for the ultra-hardcore FPS or RTS game. Maybe I'm wrong in such an assumption, but I'm looking forward to the road ahead with PC gaming, and am now just fighting the urge to buy my entire Bethesda/Bioware library again... hmmm

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SonicFire

Well, it's probably overdue, but I finally bought a machine that can run PC games. I've been an Apple user for many years, but after being burned many times by component failures on their laptops, I decided to buy a PC as a security measure. After all, I've seen 2 Macbooks come and go in the time my 10-year old Dell still clung to life. It's a bad day when you have to rely on the 8 year old computer when your $2000 Macbook pro fails... 

Anyways, while I decided to still buy a small laptop, I went with the new Alienware m11x, which by all accounts is an impressive machine for its small size. While I'm not going to be playing Crysis anytime soon, it'll run about anything else, which has let me dive firmly into PC gaming. I've been a lifelong console gamer, but have missed the PC experience since at least the days when Unreal Tournament (the original) was the new hotness. But hearing about the sorts of titles unique to PC, I always figured it was a shame I'm missing out. So suffice to say, the first thing I did when my computer arrived was set up my Steam account, and start downloading. Beginning with Portal (which I'd played on 360) and moving to the Witcher, Fear 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and what little else I can afford. Not to weaken the experience, I made sure to have a nice docking station set up (Samsung 1080p monitor, Razer Deathadder Mouse, and Razer Lachesis Keyboard).  

In the week or so I've been into it, the breadth and diversity of games out there is astounding. Steam is amazing, and the ability to download and launch a library of games is addictive to say the least. I'm a long way from getting into the online and mod communities, as understanding basic functionality is taking some time. For a console guy, WASD and arrow key controls are taking some time. And will the mouse is definitely preferrable for FPS targeting, it's not quite as tactile as the dual-analog setup (at least not to me, yet).  

The one thing I can say for PC games is that they are flexible, and in the best way possible. Just the ability to adjust visual options to maximize your setup is a real lifesaver. For an underpowered CPU like the m11x has, it results in an interesting tradeoff between fidelity and framerate. Yet I can play most things at least at medium, and this still tends to look better than console. In playing through FEAR 2, the one thing that's striking is the fact that framerates are not locked like in cosole versions, meaning that you can run games at ridiculous rates (if your computer can support it). And I'd forgotten how beautiful it was to see a game haul at a native 120+ fps.  

In the immediate term, I don't see myself jumping over entirely to the PC. After all, I didn't buy a powerhouse machine, and I don't have any online communities on the PC that make me want to abandon XBL or PSN anytime soon. Granted, if I ever play an MMO, that'll change quickly. But I will say that while it lasts, the PC experience is both addictive and positive. It's a shame that piracy dominates this medium in the way that it does, as I think we're reaching a point where the awesome PC exclusive title is becoming a thing of the past, except for the ultra-hardcore FPS or RTS game. Maybe I'm wrong in such an assumption, but I'm looking forward to the road ahead with PC gaming, and am now just fighting the urge to buy my entire Bethesda/Bioware library again... hmmm

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's a great supplemental platform for sure. Look for aiming and the wsad, it will get better, that takes time. I mean for me I had a difficult time learning fps games on consoles for a while too. When you are good enough at controls, you should be able to combine the wsad quickly like a machine using uber micro with your mouse where you will be aiming for headshots.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

Nice blog. There's a vast quantity of great titles to play even on more modest hardware, so let me know if you ever need any games recommended.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SonicFire
    @Geno: 

Thanks man, any suggestions for non-console PC games would be much appreciated. I'm looking for the gems right now ( I know a few...just bought Deus Ex today on Steam, for example) 

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dawn of War 2 is a great PC exclusive. At any rate you seem to have things under control. Setting up a Steam account was definitely the right thing to do.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ectoplasma

Depends on what you want to play (Genres) and how far you want to reach back. But I give you some of my all time favorite PC only titles that where released after UT99.
    - Civilization 4 Complete (Definitely get that one. It might be more on the complex side of gaming but it's a blast)
    Well I just realize that there aren't that many PC games which came out after 99 and are PC only, which I would declare as absolute must haves. But u might want to check out the following titles:
    - The Total War Series
    - World of Goo (If u don't have the Wii version)
    - Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich (Well this one IS brilliant)
    - League of Legends (It's multiplayer only but it's free to play so you could check it out).
    - Battlefield BC2 (Honestly, try a multiplayer shooter on the PC ;)
    - Baldurs Gate 2
    - Warhammer 40k II. (It has a pretty strong single player campaign)
    - Supreme Commander
    - Sid Meier's Pirates!
    - The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
    Some other newer games I consider getting myself, but which I didn't really play yet:
    Anno 1404 & Tropico 3

If you want some tips for older games I might have some excitement left ;). I for my part recently finished Fallout1 from the Good old Games site and I have to say it's definitely one of the best 5 RPGs ever made.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Geno
    @SonicFire said:

" @Geno:  Thanks man, any suggestions for non-console PC games would be much appreciated. I'm looking for the gems right now ( I know a few...just bought Deus Ex today on Steam, for example)   "

For great PC exclusives that can be played on almost any hardware (includes some overlap with Wii):  

Spectromancer 
    Altitude 
    And Yet It Moves 
    Aquaria 
    Audiosurf 
    Blueberry Garden 
    The Path 
    Telltale games (Sam and Max, Strong Bad, Tales of Monkey Island) 
    World of Goo 
    I-Fluid 
    Killing Floor  
    Peggle 
    Osmos 
    Galcon Fusion
    Mount and Blade + Warband 
    Torchlight   
    Plants vs. Zombies 
    Defense Grid: The Awakening
    Machinarium 
    Eets  
    Aaaaaah! Reckless Disregard for Gravity  
    AI War 

Other games that are recommended (includes some minor overlap with console): 

Anno series 
    Total War series 
    King's Bounty series
    Civilization IV 
    Titan Quest series
    Stalker Series 
    World in Conflict 
    Orange Box (We all know that TF2 is vastly superior on PC)
    Dawn of War II 
    Company of Heroes 
    Dragon Age: Origins (again, PC version is much better)
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 (better here as well) 
    Brothers in Arms series 
    Settlers 7
    League of Legends 
    Heroes of Newerth  
    Oblivion + Morrowind 

And popular MMOs such as World of Warcraft and Guild Wars of course. 
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

I get the urge to play my PC much like my consoles. I'll go on a Wii kick for about two months then the 360 and before you know it, I'm sitting for hours on end in front of my PC. 

I really don't have any suggestions, hell, I'm still playing the Witcher and Deus Ex myself. I'm sure Fallout 3 and Oblivion would be a treat even if you played them on the 360. I've been playing Dragon Age: Origins for a while on my PC. Civ IV is a great game if you want to check out turned based strategy at its best. And once you get comfortable playing PC games, you'll be checking out mods in no time.

If you haven't tried Team Fortress 2, that's a pretty good multiplayer game even without friends. There's a large Giant Bomb Steam group where you should be able to find some friends to add.

Have fun and with Steam, there's plenty to be had.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SonicFire
    @Geno: 

Thanks for the awesome list man, much appreciated. It gives me a lot to look at and jump into
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SonicFire
    @Claude: 

Yeah, I'll definitely be checking some of these games out soon.  

Also, I'd love to play TF2, but need to get way better at the mouse/keyboard interface to be anything approaching decent.
    Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Chyro

I'll just reiterate one from Geno.

MOUNT AND BLADE  Yeah, it's that awesome.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SonicFire
    @Chyro:
    Well, I'm a big RPG guy, so if you don't mind my asking: what's the big hook with Mount and Blade? So like, why is it awesome?
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlasherMan

Some extra recommendations in addition to the games everyone already mentioned:
    - Men of War
    - Penumbra Series
    - Zeno Clash (which was also recently released on 360, there is QL for it too)
    - Cryostasis (I thought it wasn't bad but it wasn't very well optimized so don't know how well the m11x would run it, there is also a QL for it)
    - Age of Conan (ignore the haters and give it a try)
    - FEAR (I know you played FEAR 2, but you need to try the first... I think it's much better than the sequel)
    - System Shock 2
    - Half Life Series
    - There are a lot of oldies that I can't think of right now, so you might want to head on over to Good Old Games and check out some of them out there.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Geno
    @SonicFire said:

" @Chyro: Well, I'm a big RPG guy, so if you don't mind my asking: what's the big hook with Mount and Blade? So like, why is it awesome? "

Its combat is pretty much unparalleled, even in large mainstream titles. Couching a lance, throwing axes, firing arrows, and swinging swords all feel really good. In addition to that, you have a wide open world to roam with bandits and cities and such, while controlling an ever-growing personal army. The game is just really fun as a whole. There is also a humongousmod community, perhaps the largest I've ever seen. Only downside is the graphics and animation are pretty wonky. 
    Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chyro

It's like a Dynasty Warriors game with overhead map movement.  Combat is more realistic and it's damn fun.  It's basically a giant sandbox.  Where you can do whatever you want.  You can download the demo off of STEAM and it gives a great idea of what the game is actually like.  Check it out.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By mrhankey
    @SonicFire said:
    "

"
    It good to see that you're giving pc gaming a chance. STALKER, by far, is my favorite series. You should go give an RTS a try. Warhammer is a great place to start. 
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SonicFire
    @Geno:
    On the podcast, Dave said it was reminiscent of Demon's Souls, and I LOVED Demon's souls.
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SonicFire
    @mrhankey:
    Oh, I've always wanted to get back into it...but until the recent Mac failures, could never justify spending that kind of money!
    Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Azrail

if ur willing to play an ugly/old game 
    planescape torment has the best story/conversation trees of any rpg! 

also system shock 2 is very good its better than bioshock2 in every way but graphics

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.