Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC gaming on LCD TV

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By niamahai

is it viable?

i heard there is some major input lag and it might fry your GFX card.

i really want to get into PC gaming again... with the comfort of couch!

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Use you're TV as a monitor. 

I hooked an HDMI cable to my TV and laptop, then I turned my TV into the primary screen.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By niamahai

all right. thx for tip. will be trying that.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By korwin

I'm plugged into my 55" at the moment.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By niamahai
    @Korwin said:
    " I'm plugged into my 55" at the moment. "
    suffering any input lag?
    eye strain?
    how does GB QL look on 55"?

i'm thinking of getting a wireless KB+M set and those dinner tray so i can lay back on my couch to play.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By korwin

My TV has a "PC Mode" which disables all form of image enhancement and basically turns the screen into a dumb panel, essentially killing any input lag.  Eye strain is fine as long as you sit at the appropriate distance.

GB QL's are great to watch on the big screen, but I normally have one of my PC's hooked into the lounge room screen.  I just currently have my main rig hooked in because... well why not.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

The only issue is resolution. A 1080p HDTV will have a shitty resolution compared to even a cheap/mid range monitor. 

Other than that, as long as you use the TV as a monitor you won't have any issues.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By niamahai
    @WitchHunter_Z said:
    " The only issue is resolution. A 1080p HDTV will have a shitty resolution compared to even a cheap/mid range monitor.   Other than that, as long as you use the TV as a monitor you won't have any issues. "
    all right thanks for the headsup.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By korwin
    @WitchHunter_Z:  How is 1080p a shitty resolution compared to a monitor?  The vast majority of 22-27" screens are 1920x1080 or 1920x1200.  You only really start to hit the 2560 x 1600 realm when you get to 30" monitors.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By alistercat

For years I used a 26'' 720p HDTV for my monitor, and last year I bought a new 32'' 1080p HDTV and it's fantastic. Typically you'll either use VGA or HDMI but HDMI is obviously better. Don't go too big for your monitor because the limited resolution the bigger it is the worse it will look (because of the PPI). Also, just so you know the resolution of a 720p HDTV is actually 1366x768 so you can go slightly higher than 720p for a PC.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By CoinMatze

Typing this on my Home Theater PC hooked up to a 46" LCD. Sitting roughly 7 feet away from the screen. I have been reading small text for about an hour now with little eye strain. If there is any lag, I can't notice it. 

I've got a wired 360 controller hooked up to my HTPC and I try to use it with every game, sometimes mapping K+M commands to it with Xpadder. The last game I used my keyborad and mouse for was Starcraft 2, which worked alright but some of the text in the game is really tiny.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By c1337us
    @Axxol said:
    " Use you're TV as a monitor.   I hooked an HDMI cable to my TV and laptop, then I turned my TV into the primary screen. "
    I used to do this for a while too until I moved to primarily using a laptop.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Ineedaname

I use a monitor that doubles up as a TV with free view. 22", never noticed input lag, ever and I've been using it for a year or so now, graphics card runs fine, though I don't see why either would affect the other. 
    Every looks pretty darn good asswell, I actually prefer it to most monitors I've tried since, but I'm sure that's just because I've become accustomed to mine and the settings are how I like them.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GunnBjorn

I play RE4 for PC now on my 42'' lcd screen via HDMI/DVI output. 
    It's (still) great! 
    Highly recommended!
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Depends on the hdtv, I don't get input lag on the toshiba brand. Sony bravia gives a slight lag if you turn on 120hz framerates though and my other samsung hdtv gives you a fraction of a second lag. You use a dvi to hdmi cable to get a video source, or if your videocard has a hdmi to hdmi use that. Depending on your hdtv, if the pixels aren't that big, it will look like an oversized monitor, so I suggest you give it a try. It works and stuff no problem and it's totally viable. Not all hdtvs are made the same though, it's sort of a gamble, however if it works, then it works great. No it won't fry your gpu, it outputs 1080p dispite the size of the display, your gpu doesn't know how big your display is.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By niamahai
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Depends on the hdtv, I don't get input lag on the toshiba brand. Sony bravia gives a slight lag if you turn on 120hz framerates though and my other samsung hdtv gives you a fraction of a second lag. You use a dvi to hdmi cable to get a video source, or if your videocard has a hdmi to hdmi use that. Depending on your hdtv, if the pixels aren't that big, it will look like an oversized monitor, so I suggest you give it a try. It works and stuff no problem and it's totally viable. Not all hdtvs are made the same though, it's sort of a gamble, however if it works, then it works great. No it won't fry your gpu, it outputs 1080p dispite the size of the display, your gpu doesn't know how big your display is.

"
    I have learned something today. Good day to you sir.
    oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oDawg
    @niamahai said:

" is it viable?  i heard there is some major input lag and it might fry your GFX card.  i really want to get into PC gaming again... with the comfort of couch! "

its exactly the same as plugging a ps3 into it.  The problem is some games want you to read text, and big tv's suck for that... but for most games its awesome!  

Can get a DVI -> hdmi dongle or cable, or lots of tv's even take a VGA input but that won't do 1080p (need the dvi or hdmi connection for that). 
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Franstone

Unfortunately any 1080p LCD TV can't win over an LCD monitor when it comes to resolution. 
    If I hook up my 1080p TV to my video card my desktop gets downgraded from my typical res.

A 1080p TV resolution can't go any higher that 1920x1080, my monitor displays at 1920x1200...  (16:10 Monitor)
    Thats not that big of a deal but some people game in even higher resolutions.
    Unfortunately for me thats like going from BlueRay back to DVD.  
    (just doesn't look right)

It's up to you though, if you don't mind the change or don't game in that resolution anyway then go for it. 
    Most video cards support that sort of thing if thats the route ya wanna go. 

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Three0neFive
    @WitchHunter_Z said:
    " The only issue is resolution. A 1080p HDTV will have a shitty resolution compared to even a cheap/mid range monitor.   Other than that, as long as you use the TV as a monitor you won't have any issues. "
    wat
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By endaround

I'm currently testing out a Hannspree 25 in TV as a monitor.  So far no problems.  Well except that the computer can't shut it off.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I have used my 1080p Sony Bravia HDTV a few times and it looks gorgeous, even though the resolution is really tiny. I haven't noticed any type of lag though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.