PC Gaming with Controllers

• 58 results
#1 Edited by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I know many of you PC loyalists prefer to play most games with a keyboard and a mouse, but I think I will be building a gaming PC over the next year as I switch over from primarily playing games on consoles. My biggest thing is that I'm simply not coordinated enough to splay my fingers across a keyboard without losing reaction time. The other day, I downloaded the ArmA 2 demo just to see if my laptop could run it, (it can...barely) and I downloaded drivers for my wired 360 controller so I could use it to play. What I ran into was a frustrating command configuration menu that made me not want to play at all. I know the 360 controller may not be ideal for most games since it has limited input, but it's what I'm used to. My question is, are most newer PC games more controller friendly, or can I expect to fiddle with input settings for a while before sitting down to actually play my games?

#2 Posted by believer258 (11898 posts) -

As far as I know, most newer PC games are indeed controller friendly and, with some fiddling, you can get many older games to work with your 360 controller as well.

However

Keep in mind that the mouse is more accurate and much faster than a controller; if you ever plan on playing an online FPS such as Counter Strike or Battlefield, learn to use a mouse or you'll never get anywhere.

#3 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

@kgb0515: When it comes to shooters and RTS games just play with a keyboard and mouse, you'll get used to it...I promise.

Most newer games are controller friendly because those games are console ports, and you can just stick your 360 controller in the PC and it will work.

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@kgb0515 said:
I know many of you PC loyalists prefer to play most games with a keyboard and a mouse
It has nothing to do with loyalty, though. The mouse and keyboard offer more precision and options such as shortcuts and macros and hotkeys. 

I downloaded the ArmA 2 demo just to see if my laptop could run it, (it can...barely) and I downloaded drivers for my wired 360 controller so I could use it to play. What I ran into was a frustrating command configuration menu that made me not want to play at all.
ArmA 2 is a military simulator with an abundance of keys and commands, it's literally one of the least gamepad-tolerant games, so don't judge by it. 

My question is, are most newer PC games more controller friendly, or can I expect to fiddle with input settings for a while before sitting down to actually play my games?
I'd say 80%-90% of PC games as well as multiplatform games on PC today have controller support with great default control layout, you plug in your X360 controller and you're ready to go. 

Welcome to PC gaming. If you ever try to use M+KB and get used to them, let's just say your mind will be blown.
#5 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

@kgb0515: Attempting ArmA 2 with a controller doesn't sound like it works; that would probably be the farthest from exemplifying where gamepad support has gotten in terms of PC gaming. I think ArmA 2 has a little too many mechanics to fit on a gamepad.

In general, most PC games as of late are extremely controller friendly -- practically as easy as plug and play. Not only that, a lot of the games I've played with gamepad support (clearest examples I can think of right now I actually played with a controller myself are Saint's Row the Third and Microsoft Flight) practically use the Xbox 360-equivalent intuitive control scheme straight up when it recognizes you have a gamepad plugged in.

So I'd say for newer games you have a pretty good chance of having an easy time playing with your 360 controller.

#6 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I say that most newer computer games are controller friendly. Every game I have has a feature for wired Xbox controllers. The only game I have that doesnt is wow and minecraft. but with minecrft or other games you want to play I use a program called controlmk. I can make it so pressing a makes the computer do space. It works well on minecraft, probably with command and conquer too.

#7 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

In general, most PC games as of late are extremely controller friendly -- practically as easy as plug and play. Not only that, a lot of the games I've played with gamepad support (clearest examples I can think of right now I actually played with a controller myself are Saint's Row the Third and Microsoft Flight) practically use the Xbox 360-equivalent intuitive control scheme straight up when it recognizes you have a gamepad plugged in.

My favorite part of SR#3 is that it supports both inputs simultaneously. I'll pick up the controller because driving feels better with an analog stick then jump back to the keyboard for the gunplay.

#8 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

Awesome, thanks everyone. I know the mouse is a lot more accurate, but I always struggle with using the WASD control scheme for movement on the keyboard, and it feels unnatural to move the keyboard to the side to use the arrows for commands. I guess it is just something that I will have to practice. That, and I'm using an OLD logitec keyboard that I bought about 7 years ago. This is something I will upgrade in the near future as well. Just gotta get that dough!

#9 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@kgb0515: I don't mean to be a dick, but you should be fucking punched in the cock for using ArmA fucking 2 to test playing games on a fuckin controller.

All ribbing aside, it'll be fine. ArmA 2 doesn't work with a fuckin' keyboard without a lot of learning of keys and stuff, using a gamepad is silly. Also, if you plan on playing online competitive shooters, drop the controller. Mouse and keyboard shooters are going to rip you apart. This isn't a controller vs controller bias, it's just a fact, the mouse is better for aiming at heads. Its so much better that it's easier to use without auto-aim than a controller is WITH autoaim, or at least, it's capable of more precision and speed.

Games that are on consoles already usually have great support for controllers and actually work with a controller. ArmA was never intended to be played with a gamepad and never will be. That's about as silly as trying to play WoW or Starcraft 2 with a gamepad, seriously.

But you should really just get used to keyboard and mouse. The games aren't wildly more complex, they have about the same number of buttons and are usually at least as consistent from game to game as console titles. Once you get used to R for reload, shift for sprint, control for crouch, f for melee/grenades, and figure out what works to your taste, you'll be fine. And you'll have a lot more fun with a mouse, I assure you. Take Bulletstorm for example. That game is soooooo much more fun when you have the increased precision of a mouse for aiming. I played a lot of the demo on 360, and even the broken ass PC version was more fun. Either way, great game, but really shines on a mouse and keyboard.

Oh, and some games, like Assassin's Creed, are far superior with a gamepad, and have excellent gamepad support (and shitty mouse support), plus look great on PC.

#10 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@kgb0515 said:
I know many of you PC loyalists prefer to play most games with a keyboard and a mouse
It has nothing to do with loyalty, though. The mouse and keyboard offer more precision and options such as shortcuts and macros and hotkeys.

Absolutely, however I still play games like Bastion or Limbo with a controller where these extra features aren't really needed, and luckily most everything released in the past few years seems to be pretty much plug & play.

#11 Edited by Slaegar (709 posts) -

What they said. Xbox 360 controllers work very well on Windows. I used a standard wired black controller. You don't need a special one or an adapter that way and its cheaper. You can't use the plug&charge kit on its own since that only charges the controller and no data goes through. Games that support it well will switch all the button hints/prompts, give you full vibration, and even let you use the headset. After you get used to playing at 1080p 60fps its really hard to go back, so be warned.

Also it even works on linux oddly enough. I plugged my 360 pad into my ubuntu laptop and super meat boy recognized it no problem.

#12 Posted by kumquat (128 posts) -

Playing ArmA 2 with a controller is like trying to jerk off with your feet.

#13 Posted by Slaegar (709 posts) -

@kumquat said:

Playing ArmA 2 with a controller is like trying to jerk off with your feet.

A man can dream can't he?

#14 Posted by Spoonman671 (4633 posts) -

ArmA 2 is barely even playable with a keyboard.

A lot of games now release with 360 controller support.  Some games do it better than others.  Don't buy Splinter Cell: Conviction if you want to play it that way.

#15 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

Dick punch accepted @MordeaniisChaos.

#16 Posted by rolanthas (242 posts) -

Almost every major release has native 360 pad support, so no worries there. Your control preference may have to vary from game to game though. While, say, Darkness 2 or Syndicate can be just as comfortable to play with a controller , ARMA 2 would probably drive you nuts.

Man, it used to be that PC gamers prided themselves in having as many absurd game controllers as they could. Why are there now a vocal group that preaches how Kb/M provides unparalleled precision in your love life, and you should be flogged for even mentioning an alternative? It irks me to see the same argument under every thread that mentions gamepads and PC gaming together. It's not like the dude will determine mankind's fate by playing Q3 with a 2 button joystick.

#17 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos: @kgb0515 said:

The Giant Bomb way.

I was reminded of that and couldn't help but repost it, sorry!

#18 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

Yeah, I'm a PC game novice, and I hadn't really read much about ArmA 2 until after a buddy suggested I try the zombie mod because he was loving it. I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

#19 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

LULZ I love console noobs that atempt play games with controlers online they are so fucking easy to kill it's almost sad its like they move in slow motion and jerk all over the place you can spot them the second they show up in a game.

I watch them for a while and run circles around them then I shoot them in the head.

Its like the fucking horrible dreamcast quake 3/ut99 ports all over again that i rented for lulz to see how much it sucked on consoles you could blow way the fucking controler people with ease with the dreamcast mouse and keyboard.

Keep using that controler man I find it to be hilarious.

http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/console-gamers-get-killed-against-pc.html

#20 Edited by mlarrabee (2951 posts) -

@kgb0515: A someone who started on PC, then moved to consoles and hasn't looked back for six or so years, drop the controller. It's a difference of pointing "in that general direction" and pointing exactly where you want.

EDIT:

@Cubical said:

LULZ I love console noobs that atempt play games with controlers online they are so fucking easy to kill it's almost sad its like they move in slow motion and jerk all over the place you can spot them the second they show up in a game.

I watch them for a while and run circles around them then I shoot them in the head.

I'm looking at you out of the corner of my eye because you have to be just kidding.

#21 Posted by believer258 (11898 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

@kgb0515: A someone who started on PC, then moved to consoles and hasn't looked back for six or so years, drop the controller. It's a difference of pointing "in that general direction" and pointing exactly where you want.

EDIT:

@Cubical said:

I'm looking at you out of the corner of my eye because you have to be just kidding.

Have you looked at a lot of his responses? Every post I've ever seen Cubical make has shown him to be the biggest cunt this side of whyareyoucrouchingspock.

#22 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Filthy controller using peasant. I spit at thee! Spit I say!

#23 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@believer258 said:

@mlarrabee said:

EDIT:

@Cubical said:

Have you looked at a lot of his responses? Every post I've ever seen Cubical make has shown him to be the biggest cunt this side of whyareyoucrouchingspock.

Same guy, perhaps? 

Nothing wrong with using controllers on a PC though. If that's how you enjoy playing games then that's how you should play them. 
It's kinda fun seeing people crash their Jet or Helicopter in Battlefield 3 though because none of those idiots know how to fly with a Mouse and Keyboard. And there I am staying in the air using a controller for everything flight related. 
Good times 
#24 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@believer258 said:

@mlarrabee said:

EDIT:

@Cubical said:

Same guy, perhaps? Nothing wrong with using controllers on a PC though. If that's how you enjoy playing games then that's how you should play them. It's kinda fun seeing people crash their Jet or Helicopter in Battlefield 3 though because none of those idiots know how to fly with a Mouse and Keyboard. And there I am staying in the air using a controller for everything flight related. Good times

My friend does that, pad for flying, I don't really understand how he finds it so hard to use a mouse and keyboard for flying, but I do have a large area to spin the mouse around like a mental patient.

#25 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

@mlarrabee:

Nope ever tried to move a mouse arrow with a fucking crap analogstick ya.... Its like that I have already click 3 menus by the time by move to the right hand of the screen oh and I have a quick key for every action.

Try it some time with the ps3 or old dreamcast browser or anything else that hows a arrow you move with a stick its a fucking nightmare of crap nobody photoshops or anything else with a fucking contoler for a reason.

They cant shoot worth balls so I can run around them as much as a I want then shot them in the head with a sniper weapon or instagib weapon its a joke and i think it is funny as hell So if they want to keep doing that go head.Or in the case of a RTS liek starcraft 2 they can buld as slow as the fucking want with the controler as long as they are not on my team.

Oh and that is why they have to have a fucking button to do a quickspin backwards to look behind with the controlers it aim as slow as hell with precision like a tank on snot covered Ice.

Though I most the time kick the people from the server that are controlers.......Most people on Pc do that.

#26 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Sooty said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@believer258 said:

@mlarrabee said:

EDIT:

@Cubical said:

Same guy, perhaps? Nothing wrong with using controllers on a PC though. If that's how you enjoy playing games then that's how you should play them. It's kinda fun seeing people crash their Jet or Helicopter in Battlefield 3 though because none of those idiots know how to fly with a Mouse and Keyboard. And there I am staying in the air using a controller for everything flight related. Good times

My friend does that, pad for flying, I don't really understand how he finds it so hard to use a mouse and keyboard for flying, but I do have a large area to spin the mouse around like a mental patient.

Now I can't get the image out of my head of some guy sitting there and just flailing the mouse around to fly the jets. 
There are people who get really good at flying with a Mouse and Keyboard though but for me it's just easier with a controller because it works like it should and there's nothing to get used to since it controls the same in all other games where you fly a jet. Haven't tried it with a joystick yet though, that might be fun. 
#27 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -

@Cubical said:

Its like the fucking horrible dreamcast quake 3/ut99 ports all over again that i rented for lulz to see how much it sucked on consoles you could blow way the fucking controler people with ease with the dreamcast mouse and keyboard.

God I was looking at getting into pc gaming but if I turn into this I may well stick to my console.

#28 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

@laserbolts: Not all PC gamers become like that! I love both my keyboard and my controllers!

Although a lot PC gamers do get borderline creepy about their passion with regards to the platform, like those PC Master Race people.

#29 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

@laserbolts: Not all PC gamers become like that! I love both my keyboard and my controllers!

Although a lot PC gamers do get borderline creepy about their passion with regards to the platform, like those PC Master Race people.

Hahaha yeah more made the comment to point how dumb that dude's comment was. I can't wait to get my pc though.

#30 Posted by Maginnovision (487 posts) -

If it came out on xbox 360 it'll probably work alright. I had found a few of the games I bought on steam actually had better controller support than keyboard and mouse. We're in an age where consoles are the primary platform and so controllers work exceptionally well for most stuff. I am mainly a PC gamer though, so I definitely prefer keyboard and mouse for anything shooter-esque. I have a fight stick, steering wheel, controllers, joysticks. I just like to play games the way that feels best, alot of games that is actually a controller.

#31 Posted by ImaTreee (209 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

@Cubical said:

God I was looking at getting into pc gaming but if I turn into this I may well stick to my console.

don't mind jerks like him. not all of us pc gamers are complete dicks.

#32 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

depends really i hate flying jets in bf3 without a controller

same goes for 3rd person games

#33 Posted by Hunkulese (2723 posts) -
@kgb0515 It's almost essential to have a controller to maximize your pc gaming experience these days. You'll still be playing a ton of ports and most of them are fully functional with a controller and include a 360 overlay. Pick up a wired 360 controller and you'll be happy.

That being said there are still genres where a mouse/keyboard are far superior. You really want to be playing fps
#34 Posted by Hunkulese (2723 posts) -

Ahhhh stupid phone comments. To continue from my last post you really should use m/k for fps games. Download TF2. It's a great game, it's free, and it's s lot more forgiving so is a perfect game to get comfortable with the m/k.

#35 Posted by Samael2138 (233 posts) -

As someone who has only been gaming exclusively on PC for a couple of years, K&M takes a little bit, but is well worth it if you play FPS. Play any shooter online with a controller and you'll get murdered!!! Another alternative is to use a mouse with a left hand controller, like a Razer Nostromo or Logitech G-13. They have several rows of keys, fully programmable , and a stick that you can assign WASD, or whatever, to. I've heard more good things about the G-13 than the Nostromo, and actually just ordered one from Amazon today. I'll let you know how well it works when I get it.

#36 Posted by mlarrabee (2951 posts) -

@Cubical said:

@mlarrabee:

Nope ever tried to move a mouse arrow with a fucking crap analogstick ya.... Its like that I have already click 3 menus by the time by move to the right hand of the screen oh and I have a quick key for every action.

Try it some time with the ps3 or old dreamcast browser or anything else that hows a arrow you move with a stick its a fucking nightmare of crap nobody photoshops or anything else with a fucking contoler for a reason.

They cant shoot worth balls so I can run around them as much as a I want then shot them in the head with a sniper weapon or instagib weapon its a joke and i think it is funny as hell So if they want to keep doing that go head.Or in the case of a RTS liek starcraft 2 they can buld as slow as the fucking want with the controler as long as they are not on my team.

Oh and that is why they have to have a fucking button to do a quickspin backwards to look behind with the controlers it aim as slow as hell with precision like a tank on snot covered Ice.

Though I most the time kick the people from the server that are controlers.......Most people on Pc do that.

I didn't mean you were kidding about mouse-look being much better than thumbstick; I agree with that. It's the overzealousness, bordering on insanity. And I hope to God that English isn't your original language.

#37 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Honestly, this guy makes whyareyoucrouchingspock seem reasonable by comparison.

#38 Posted by believer258 (11898 posts) -

@kgb0515 said:

@believer258 said:

Honestly, this guy makes whyareyoucrouchingspock seem reasonable by comparison.

I think the two are really different breeds of cunts. See, whyareyoucrouchingspock posted a lot of threads expressing stupidly misinformed opinions and often came across as offensive and elitist through his comparisons; this Cubical fellow consistently rears his ugly head in threads and gives his, er, opinion or whatever in the least civil and most blunt way possible. They both deliver their opinions in ways that put down anyone who doesn't agree as lesser beings, though, and as such both ought to have their IP addresses traced and subsequently banned from internet use altogether, no exceptions.

#39 Edited by bybeach (4826 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

The Giant Bomb way.

I don't know why this is here, but I remember the QL..a true classic.

K and M is intuitive...nothing less. it's controller's that have to settle as a 'input device'. But I have gradually taken to them, also.

#40 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

The Giant Bomb way.

Man, I forgot about that. I'm going to go watch that quick look now.

#41 Posted by Xymox (2088 posts) -

Why is it so hard to get ahold of an xbox controller? Every store (read: GAME) I'm in they're like "We don't have that, but it's dangerous to go alone, take this" and hand me some bootleg PS controller. Do I seriously need to buy from amazon or Razer to get ahold of one? I thought these things were popular, at least from how many steam games that have started to support them (and in some cases would be superior with one, such as super meat boy). I don't get it. But then again, GAME kind of sucks lately. Has anyone tried the Razer Onza? Is it a POS or does it work well on PC?

#42 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

Every crossplatform game has 100% controller compatibility. PC exclusives usually have at least partial support; Crysis released back in 2007 even had full support, as do more modern ones such as Project CARS. The only games that tend to lack support for controllers nowadays are really obscure indie titles. 

Edit: Project CARS is probably crossplatform, but it's only available build is PC at the moment and it has controller support.

#43 Posted by cannedstingray (392 posts) -

So, I built a gaming PC last year, and unfortunately, due to a spinal cord injury from years ago, I have very limited use of my left hand. Which means that using a keyboard or mouse with my left is almost impossible. So I use a gamepad for virtually all of my PC gaming in some form or another.

Anyhow, I have found that most all games (aside from a pretty big portion of indie) are very controller friendly.

Now for the games that aren't, programs like Xpadder are invaluable. I find that I can play most any game at all, by just figuring out which will be the most important commands for a particular game, and with some creative button mapping, I can get pretty much all of my games up and running on a pad, or perhaps the gamepad/mouse combo.

Of course I always have the keyboard within easy reach for ease of the other commands that the gamepad can't allow for..

I now have a 13 button programmable mouse that I will use with my 360 pad. (basically I use the gamepad for the left analog stick, the D pad and left triggers, an I use the mouse with the buttons for the camera control and other game inputs. Which works well on some games. Tat's how I've been playing Diablo 3..

For the past week now I've even been playing The Secret world on the 360 pad, with the mouse and KB handy. and it works rather well.

Get familiar with Xpadder and learn to adjust your button mapping on the fly (alt tab) for games without support.

I also have my PC in the living room connected to my big screen, which makes gamepad gaming even more comfy.

Anyway. regardless of what most o the hardcore kb/m guys tell you. you can even hold your own in competitive games like BF3.

I played it on my PC with a pad, andf its definately more challenging compared to XBL, but you adapt, and can totally do just fine.

and you will find that after playing competitive fps against the kb crew, going back to xbl, you will do rather well against the other gamepad console guys..

anyhoo don't stress about it. there is broad support for gamepads

#44 Posted by 71Ranchero (2765 posts) -

The best part and biggest draw of PC gaming is that you are able to use ANY input you chose. The PC elitists that refuse to ever use a controller under any circumstances are the worst kind of elitist, the ignorant kind.

Just find a happy medium between whats best for the game and whats best for you. If your having issues with WASD, take a look at some of the hand shaped gaming keyboards and see if that makes things better at all. Some of them even have dpads/analog sticks on them. Or even better, practice!

#45 Posted by BurningHunter (58 posts) -

If a game supports a 360 controller, like TF2 or Burnout: Paradise, I will use that instead of KB&M in most situations. It's what I'm used to and I've never felt like I've been at a terribly obvious disadvantage when playing TF2 or whatever I use it for (with the exception of sniping in anything). Even if I'm forced to use KB&M, it's not that hard to wrap my mind around them since key bindings are usually universal for FPS games or Lords Management games like LoL or DOTA. It really just takes a bit of practice to learn your way around a keyboard competently enough to not totally suck at everything.

And if all else fails, use XPadder or just pick the game up on the console of your choice if it's available.

#46 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

The best part and biggest draw of PC gaming is that you are able to use ANY input you chose. The PC elitists that refuse to ever use a controller under any circumstances are the worst kind of elitist, the ignorant kind.

Just find a happy medium between whats best for the game and whats best for you. If your having issues with WASD, take a look at some of the hand shaped gaming keyboards and see if that makes things better at all. Some of them even have dpads/analog sticks on them. Or even better, practice!

Word. I play shooters and other precision games with a keyboard and mouse, yet play platform, racing and most other games with a 360 controller where appropriate. Rayman Origins is especially fun to play with a controller on the PC.

#47 Posted by NoelVeiga (1099 posts) -

Controllers are the superior form of control as far as I'm concerned, and I built my first PC in 1991 (a 286 running at 12 Mhz with a whopping 20 megabytes of hard drive space). I play everything I can with a PC controller using a wireless 360 pad, and yes, I had to go out of my way to find the Windows version that comes with the receiver, but it was worth it, because the receiver supports up to 4 pads at once, so it's my recommended option.

For the record, I play my single player FPSs with a controller as well. I hate the notion of mouse and keyboard being superior because it's faster (controllers are smoother and a level playing field for all) but in a competitive environment faster is indeed better, if not more realistic, so I agree that K/M is a must for multiplayer. Strategy games and sims are obviously exempted from all of this. Just like touch controls are better for simple apps with large icons, if you're going to game in a spreadsheet or point at little things on a large screen of course you want a mouse and bunch of keys. I'm just referring to action games here.

The irony of keyboard and mouse elitists is that they got the issue backwards. I remember how proper gamepad support for console ports used to be the biggest request from hardcore PC gamers before the 360 controller became the Windows standard. We would whine and complain about shoddy porting if our off brand gamepads and joysticks were not supported or couldn't be mapped properly. Over the years, for some reason this became a weird dynamic in which people would just claim that all console ports were a bad thing, or that a PC port having "press start" on the menu screen was automatically a bad one, and the assumption was made that only games that were intended to be played on a keyboard were "proper" PC games, which has always felt very strange to me, especially since I didn't own a console for a lot of the lifespan of the PSOne and PS2.

#48 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

@Xymox: Razer Onza is indeed a POS. I had it for one month, the right analog stick's input kept moving down even when I left the analog stick alone. Also, the triggers felt loose/cheap compared to the original 360 controllers. I replaced my Onza with an officiall WIRED black 360 controller which is sold at most retailers. The wireless option (with receiver) is available at the stores in my area. Either one is always available online. The wired ones are plug and play. For the wireless receiver, you might have to download drivers from microsoft's website. I'd say getting the official 360 controller is the best option. That or the logitech F510 gamepad which has both 360 input as well as traditional PC joystick directinput for older PC titles.

#49 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4742 posts) -

@Cubical said:

Kill yourself, you're giving us elitists a bad image. You're not even wrong, you're just a Prick about it. You're being called a Prick by a Giant Prick; that makes you a Mammoth Prick.

OP, you'll get used to the keyboard eventually, and you'll need to if you want to play an FPS like ARMA 2. I play a lot of the more platform-y games with the XBox controller though, and to answer your question I can't remember the last game that didn't let me use it. If you're going to get into 8- or 16-bit emulation though, get a controller with a better d-pad.

#50 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

If you want to use controllers you totally can, I use my third party ps3 controller for things like Trackmania, Super Meat Boy, etc. etc. I wouldn't use it for shooters though, not very accurate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.