Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Pc is lagging, help !

bombingrun217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bombingrun217

My computer lags everytime I do something simple as open a web browser. I need a free method to make my computer run faster. Does anyone have suggestions to help? 

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ryax

with no background info what are we suppose to do?  this is like saying " I have a problem. Help me" and then stop talking expecting the answer

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By shirogane

Format. 

Or try defragging, i doubt it's gonna help though. 
    Also, your computer could just be really old. No clue since you didn't tell us anything.
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Try downloading CCleaner. I use it all the time!

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuCTR

delete anything off your hard drive you don't need, if it's still slow format.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Spyware can slow down your system, I suggest getting a free program called spybot search and destroy. Then seeing how many spyware you find and fix it. You can also defrag the hardrive.

bombingrun217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bombingrun217
    @Ryax: Well what would you like to know? I'm not adept at PC knowledge. 
     Btw I also have PC internet security tool suite. Is that a good defense system?
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By bybeach

There is bogus anti virus going around right now. Only get anti-virus you recognize. Mabe try a registry cleaner. I use uniblue, but I like the one better on my other computer, can-t see it right now. Uniblue is competent, though. Check PC world or CNET for other sites.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By Geno

The most common cause of this is either a full or heavily fragmented hard drive. Download Defraggler and press "analyze", what does it say for fragmentation %? Also, what % of your HDD is full? HDDs begin to slow down in performance after 20% capacity, really slow down after 50% and are basically a crawl (where you are now) at 80-90%, even if fully defragmented.
    zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zonerover
    @Bombingrun217 said:

" My computer lags everytime I do something simple as open a web browser. I need a free method to make my computer run faster. Does anyone have suggestions to help?  "

Just a note - if you are interested in help, provide some more information including:
    • How old your PC is
    • What operating system you have (Windows what?)
    • How big your hard drive and memory is
    • Your CPU (Intel what? / AMD what?)

If you don't know Points 2-4, perhaps ask a friend to help identify those things for you or download something like Speccy and check what it says (you could do this yourself with your current version of Windows, but Speccy does a good job of consolidating lots of information in a straightforward manner).

Most of the stuff others have said could be right, but without more information its rather difficult to work out exactly what the problem is.
    bombingrun217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bombingrun217

Well its roughly 2 years old, with Windows Vista Home, I have a 250GB HD with 3GB or memory, AMD Athlon x24450e 

Its a less laggier because of some tips in the thread. Thank you :D 

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Press F8 to go into safe mode. The U.S. Army commercial taught me that. That means I can do army stuff now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.