PC Upgrading Advice

#1 Edited by gale (44 posts) -

I've been using a kinda low-end computer for my PC gaming needs for the last few years, and it's served me fairly well. I've been playing most games on low or minimum settings, and I've been basically fine with it that way, but since I've got a bit under £500 (or around $800) to spend, I thought I should finally see if there was anything I could do to make things run a little smoother. The current specs are as follows, copied from my system information since I don't really know what's important and what's not:

Motherboard: Dell DXP061

Processor: Intel Core2 CPU, 6600 @ 2.40 GHz, 2394 Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

4GB RAM

My PSU apparently only puts out 375W, so I've already earmarked £70 to replace that with a 750W one. Which should be enough? Probably? Likewise, I'm already going to upgrade to at least 8GB of RAM, as well. So call it £400 to spend on whatever else. Replacing everything sounds like an expensive hassle, but I don't really know how much of this stuff can be salvaged, so who knows. I don't really need top-of-the-line equipment, but it'd be nice to have things run smoothly at mid-settings, at least. Any advice?

#2 Posted by believer258 (12203 posts) -

None of it can be salvaged. The motherboard doesn't support a fast enough processor, the graphics card is below minimum spec for most games, and there's not enough RAM (and it probably isn't fast enough).

You need a whole new rig.

#3 Posted by gale (44 posts) -

Oh. Fair enough, then. Suppose this makes things simpler, since I can just start from scratch instead of worrying about compatibility and stuff. Thanks, I guess.

#4 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@gale said:

Oh. Fair enough, then. Suppose this makes things simpler, since I can just start from scratch instead of worrying about compatibility and stuff. Thanks, I guess.

Fairly good time to build a new system. You can salvage the case and monitor (obviously, providing the case is ATX). Should be able to build something to run new games on high at 1080p for about $600.

#5 Posted by colorbrandon (166 posts) -

@murisan said:

@gale said:

Fairly good time to build a new system. You can salvage the case and monitor (obviously, providing the case is ATX). Should be able to build something to run new games on high at 1080p for about $600.

Since his mother board is "Dell," I'm guessing the case must also be a proprietary shape.

#6 Posted by Devildoll (911 posts) -

@gale: make sure you drop by here and ask for advice before you buy the new computer, not afterwards ;)

#7 Edited by gale (44 posts) -

@Devildoll: Well, since I'm having to get new everything anyway, I figured I may as well save up a little more and get something a bit tougher than what I'd previously planned for. I pretty much copied this list wholesale from a couple different recommended builds, so I'd hope it would be basically fine already, but I'd still be glad for anyone's input.

Motherboard: Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UP4

CPU: Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K

GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX660 2GB DDR5 PCI-E

Disc drive: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA III 6 Gbps

PSU: Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze

RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C​9 LP Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)

Case: Fractal Design Arc Series ATX

I've already got a retail copy of Windows 7 I can use, and my monitor is fine, so it looks like it'll cost me around £700 for everything. Any advice apropos parts that I should change, or where's a good place to buy this stuff would be appreciated. I've been mostly looking at Amazon, since I don't know anywhere else that's cheap and reliable in the UK.

#8 Posted by GiroMindTricks (60 posts) -

Overclockershave been good for me in the past. I usually switch between them and Amazon, depending on which is cheaper.

#9 Posted by OldManLight (914 posts) -

have fun man, I love getting to upgrade my pc. i actually just went down this path myself. pretty much replaced my entire system but did so on a budget.

Phenom II x4 965 Black Ed. $80

Asus M5A97 $45 (open box)

4 GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 (free from a buddy)

Gigabyte AMD HD7770 $70-80 (open box)

SB Recon3D $50

and reused my old hard drives and 600W PSU.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.