Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PCI express 3.0

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By banishedsoul1

Hey guys

i have noticed alot of cards coming out that are PCI express 3.0. Is 2.0 to slow for powerful cards now?

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FritzDude

Correct me if I am wrong. PCI Express 3.0 would increase the bandwidth & transfer rate, but mainboards as of today With PCI Express 2.0 slots should have enough bandwidth so you wont be Limited by Your mainboard With 3.0 GPU's, unless maybe if you will be doing quad setups, though I am not sure how that exactly Works.

abomunist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By abomunist

PCIe 2.0 is more than fast enough for any modern video card.

NachoBizNas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By NachoBizNas

Pcie x 16 3.0 cards are backwards compatible. The only issue is that they will not be able to perform at their fullest in a Pcie x16 2.0 slot. PCI 4.0 will be coming out in 2014/2015, so now or next year is the perfect time to upgrade that Mobo of yours to a mobo with a chipset that supports pcie x 16 3.0.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Silver-Streak

@banishedsoul1: Current cards (meaning currently on market Nvidia GTX 6 cards and ATI top of the line ards) do not see any performance decrease on PCIe 2.0 vs 3.0, at least not within the margin of error. That could change on the next generation of cards, especially with the revelations today about nanotubes being functional, but we'll see.

wastedcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wastedcolumbo

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.