Planning on buying new PC parts...

Posted by Hameyadea (348 posts) -

For the last 4-or-so years, I wanted (and needed) to upgrade my machine and I feel that I can't hold it off for much longer. Currently I'm eyeing Intel's i7 Core and nVidia's GeForce 650 and higher. Can you recommend a good Sound Card, Motherboard and any other components I might need, and any good retailers/outlets that offer the items at good price and have a worldwide shipping abilities (I heard that Newegg and Amazon are quite good choices).

#1 Posted by Hameyadea (348 posts) -

For the last 4-or-so years, I wanted (and needed) to upgrade my machine and I feel that I can't hold it off for much longer. Currently I'm eyeing Intel's i7 Core and nVidia's GeForce 650 and higher. Can you recommend a good Sound Card, Motherboard and any other components I might need, and any good retailers/outlets that offer the items at good price and have a worldwide shipping abilities (I heard that Newegg and Amazon are quite good choices).

#2 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

Sound card?! Pfffffffffffffffffffft.

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

You don't really need a sound card. You will also need power, probably 650-750 depending on what else you get. You also need a case, Wireless card, if you want wireless internet, and disc drive.

#4 Edited by madmurdock0311 (14 posts) -

No need for the i7 if you are intending to use the machine for gaming; the i5 is perfect for gaming, and it'll save you some cash to spend on other components. Soundcards are totally unnecessary these days, most motherboards come with sufficient on-board sound. You can use a site like this http://pcpartpicker.com/ to help do some more research, and read up on reviews.

#5 Posted by PHARAOH (128 posts) -

Get a sabertooth motherboard so you can deal amd and nividia crazy price wars.

#6 Posted by Devildoll (881 posts) -

@PHARAOH said:

Get a sabertooth motherboard so you can deal amd and nividia crazy price wars.

get motherboard to "deal" graphics-cards, wut?

#7 Posted by A_Deep_Mushroom (88 posts) -
#8 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

@Hameyadea: Mobos have built-in sound cards, those should be fine. Alternatively you can use the optical output (from the mobo) to a stereo/surround system & just use that for your speakers, if you have one near your Desktop. That's what I've done. Although I'm from the camp that believes you only need two good stereo speakers rather than 5.1 or 7.1, etc (or maximum of 3.1: 2 speakers, 1 subwoofer).

#9 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

Forget the i7 and save money with the i5 unless you really need the faster computer for doing stuff other than games.

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

(or maximum of 3.1: 2 speakers, 1 subwoofer).

Don't you mean 2.1? the .1 is supposed to be the sub.

#10 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -
@Colourful_Hippie said:

Forget the i7 and save money with the i5 unless you really need the faster computer for doing stuff other than games.

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

(or maximum of 3.1: 2 speakers, 1 subwoofer).

Don't you mean 2.1? the .1 is supposed to be the sub.

Correct. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.