Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Please HELP! New i7 incompatible with MOBO?

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BrotherBran

I have looked everywhere and cannot find an answer. I have a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series Motherboard, and previously had an i5, but bought an Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell. It does not seem to fit, there is only one way to install cpus as far as im aware, but im relativley new to this. Please help

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By musclerider

It's as simple as the motherboard having a different socket type than the CPU. The motherboard has a LGA 1155 while the CPU has a LGA 1150 connection.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's as simple as the motherboard having a different socket type than the CPU. The motherboard has a LGA 1155 while the CPU has a LGA 1150 connection.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok, thanks. time to upgrade the motherboard i guess lol

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

ok, thanks. time to upgrade the motherboard i guess lol

Not just the 1150 socket, but make sure the mobo is compatible with this version of the i7 Haswell as these are a new refresh from intel. To be safe, make sure to get a LGA 1150 AND Z97 or H97 mobo.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@brotherbran: do you even need a processor upgrade?

shouldn't a socket 1155 i5 ( 2500k or 3570k ) run pretty much everything anyway?

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

just be careful handling that new processor... you can't really break it unless you physically damage it, but physically damaging it isn't that hard.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't put a 1150 cpu in an 1155 motherboard, you'll need an older z87 board or the just released z97 boards.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well i dont really know basically anything about motherboards. should i return the cpu and get a newer one that fits my current mobo? or should i just go ahead and get a new mobo as well

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By korwin

@brotherbran said:

Well i dont really know basically anything about motherboards. should i return the cpu and get a newer one that fits my current mobo? or should i just go ahead and get a new mobo as well

The newest thing available for your socket is a 3770K (Ivy Bridge). As you're probably running a first gen 1155 socket Mobo I wouldn't really bother since the IPC gains are small and the more advanced features won't do much for you on a z68.

If you're that keen on upgrading the CPU take a look at one of these or scale up from there if you need more bells and whistles (I doubt you do).

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brotherbran: you probably just shouldn't have bought a new cpu in the first place, especially since you don't know much about their specifications. I would do some more research and return your cpu.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brotherbran: well, why did you buy a new cpu in the first place?

Did your old one break?

cause if you are thinking of making an upgrade, I'm not too sure that is money well spent.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I would imagine he just wanted a more powerful CPU. i7 is definitely better than an i5 as we know, its not nesseccary a bad investment at this point, we don't know when the next line of CPUs will arrive this if they even arrive this year at all right now. Its longativity is lot better than an i5 as i5s are going to become redundant next year as everything switches to massive multi-core cpus, even the new consoles have 8-core cpus in them so to be stuck using quad core cpus (yes i7s are still quad cores but dual threaded, almost as good as 8-cores) you are gonna be seriously restricted soon. Current i7s will be fine for another couple years yet. So look at is as brotherbran is doing a mini upgrade instead of a major one which will be done later.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Devildoll

@vackillers said:

we don't know when the next line of CPUs will arrive this if they even arrive this year at all right now. Its longativity is lot better than an i5

It doesn't really matter when the next cpu's arrive if what he has now is adequate for his needs.
    I dont think i7's have better longlevity for games, how many games run on old i7 but not on identical i5's?

so far they've had pretty similar lifespans.

@vackillers said:

i5s are going to become redundant next year as everything switches to massive multi-core cpus, even the new consoles have 8-core cpus in them so to be stuck using quad core cpus (yes i7s are still quad cores but dual threaded, almost as good as 8-cores) you are gonna be seriously restricted soon.

well people have been saying that since the Q6600 came.

Better to run what you got until you get issues, and buy something current.

than buying something now for more money than it would cost at the time you actually needed it, as well as it also running a risk of being too weak, and missing out on the opportunity to actually buy something state of the art cause you spent your 200 dollars on last years cpu even though you already had one that worked fine for that time.

This is all speculating that OP doesn't actually need a cpu upgrade of course, if he is running arma 3 with super AI or streaming, he might actually need an i7 today.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@vackillers said:

we don't know when the next line of CPUs will arrive this if they even arrive this year at all right now. Its longativity is lot better than an i5

It doesn't really matter when the next cpu's arrive if what he has now is adequate for his needs.

I dont think i7's have better longlevity for games, how many games run on old i7 but not on identical i5's?

so far they've had pretty similar lifespans.

@vackillers said:

i5s are going to become redundant next year as everything switches to massive multi-core cpus, even the new consoles have 8-core cpus in them so to be stuck using quad core cpus (yes i7s are still quad cores but dual threaded, almost as good as 8-cores) you are gonna be seriously restricted soon.

well people have been saying that since the Q6600 came.

Better to run what you got until you get issues, and buy something current.

than buying something now for more money than it would cost at the time you actually needed it, as well as it also running a risk of being too weak, and missing out on the opportunity to actually buy something state of the art cause you spent your 200 dollars on last years cpu even though you already had one that worked fine for that time.

This is all speculating that OP doesn't actually need a cpu upgrade of course, if he is running arma 3 with super AI or streaming, he might actually need an i7 today.

Indeed dude indeed.... Everyones situation is different depending on what they are actually doing mostly I suppose and yes you are quite right about the Q6600. I do personally think the tide is about to change with the new line of CPUs though, with AMD no doubt bringing a desktop version of their 16-core and Intel bringing out an 8-core 16 threaded cpu more or less at the same time or within a month or so between them that will change the stress loads on cpu's in game, and then have to cater to though who wish to video record, or stream at the same time. The gaming tides are changing, with the rumored announcement of youtube buying out Twitch for $1billion almost certainly proves that. Of course this is all speculation at this point and time but the signs are there already with Planetary Annihilation and Star citizen set to take full use of as many cores as your machine has at its disposel, with the witcher 3 dragon age and mass effect 4 among the contenders to have some of the most impressive visual fidelity we've seen in gaming, the system stress will only magnify this I feel, the time for quad core setups to be enough is just about upon us. Of course, just my personal opinion. :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.