Please rate pc build

#1 Posted by Carryboy (729 posts) -

Hey,

How does this build look and also how futureproof would you say it is or is that a dumb question?

Fractal Design Define R4 - Black

Intel i7 3770K - (4 x 3.5 GHZ) - Ivy Bridge -

Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC3-12800 1600 MHz (2x8GB) GDDR3

Corsair 800W Gaming PSU - Low Noise

HD 7970

Asus Sabertooth Z77 (Intel Z77)

2 TB Seagate (2000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT

#2 Posted by VACkillers (1075 posts) -

seems good to me....

#3 Edited by Andorski (5352 posts) -

How much is it all together?

#4 Posted by BrockSampson (299 posts) -

If you are looking to only one run VGU card for the foreseeable future you could probably get away with a slightly less wattage PSU. But there probably isn't much of a price difference.

#5 Edited by Kidavenger (3608 posts) -

I think it's silly to go with windows 7 at this point, 8 is fine, especially with 8.1 available now that lets you boot straight into desktop.

Depending on how well Xbox One does, Direct X 11.2 has a pretty good chance of being widely used in PC development, it would be a shame to miss out on that.

Other than that, everything looks good.

#6 Posted by BallsDeep (30 posts) -

What resolution do you play at?

#7 Posted by Carryboy (729 posts) -

@andorski said:

How much is it all together?

I already have the graphics card so for the rest which im having to pay a company for as I wouldnt have a clue how to put it together myself comes to just under £1000.00

I think it's silly to go with windows 7 at this point, 8 is fine, especially with 8.1 available now that lets you boot straight into desktop.

Depending on how well Xbox One does, Direct X 11.2 has a pretty good chance of being widely used in PC development, it would be a shame to miss out on that.

Other than that, everything looks good.

Is 8.1 a free upgrade? Is it more like a normal windows? Are there any game compatability problems with 8? (sorry for so many questions)

What resolution do you play at?

1920x1080

#8 Posted by Nivash (241 posts) -

Looks like a solid build, should last you just fine for at least a few years. If anything you might be going a bit overboard on some components - as has been mentioned 800W for a single GPU is overkill, but it is Corsair and if you got a good price for it the option to Crossfire in the future is probably worth it.

16 GB RAM is also a bit excessive for a gaming rig, you're never going to need more than 8 in the foreseeable future. Obviously 16 GB isn't going to hurt and the price difference isn't that big, but if you want to it would be perfectly reasonable to get a single 8 GB Vengeance now and just add another one in future if you want or need to.

As for Windows 8, I'm probably on the books by now as a guy who likes it. But I've had some compatibility issues lately - mostly things that have been easy to solve, but still. Dark Souls took some tinkering to get running and both Poker Nights that I picked up in the sale yesterday required me to manually download a DirectX DLL for some reason since Steam didn't install it the way it usually does - which I'm pretty sure might be a W8 issue.

W8.1 wont' release "properly" until Christmas this year. The current released build is a preview. Both are free, but the preview has some caveats and uncertainties regarding what will get carried over. It also won't change W8 into W7 or something - it's still W8 and Metro is still there. It tweaks a few things in the right direction and adds some new functions, a lot of them focused on aesthetics and customization from the looks of it. They have said that they are going to make the new UI better optimized for mouse and keyboard and added some things like boot to desktop and a start button (which launches Metro, of course, not the old start menu) but it's about progression rather than revolution or the kind of outright reversion some have hoped for.

#9 Posted by Tyrrael (251 posts) -

First, the 3770K is completely unnecessary from a gaming standpoint, as it provides basically no increase in performance compared to an i5 3570K. In fact, it isn't uncommon for the i7s to underperform compared to i5s. It's not a huge difference either way, but it normally isn't worth the extra money for the 3770K. The i5 3570K is the sweet spot. It has a great price/performance ratio, and it is easily overclocked...if that's your thing. However, if you got a good price for the 3770K, then it's still a great choice.

Second, 16GB of RAM is unnecessary as well, however, it really isn't a big enough difference in price between 16GB and 8GB to reconsider, especially if you got a good deal on it.

Third, contrary to what some people are saying here, 800W is not overkill for a PSU. I would never recommend getting anything below 750W. The primary reason is that you really don't want your system pulling close to the maximum wattage of the PSU all the time. For example, if your system pulls 525W, it would be a bad idea to get a 550W PSU. This puts more strain on the components, and it will wear out faster along with providing no room for expansion. Not only does 800W in your case provide some breathing room, but it also provides some room for expansion, such as extra hard drives, overclocking, another GPU, and anything else you can think of. Of course, you would have to factor in the actual increase in wattage these extra components would add compared to what your PSU has, but you get the idea. Just fyi, this system will use less than 400W(closer to 350W actually). Adding another HD7970 would still put it just under 500W approximately. So, 800W is just fine without being too much or too little and leaves some more room for additions later on.

Overall, it looks fine. I would have made a couple different choices up front, which I highlighted here, but this should last a while. Future proofing indefinitely is, of course, not possible, but it should be quite a long time before anything drastic has to be done with it.

#10 Posted by zenmastah (974 posts) -

Heres a good article from Digital Foundry about futureproofing PCs right before next gen launches.

#11 Posted by Carryboy (729 posts) -

Heres a good article from Digital Foundry about futureproofing PCs right before next gen launches.

Thats an interesting read thank you very much, maybe I should go for a FX-8350 instead would be considerably cheaper.

#12 Edited by GaspoweR (3368 posts) -

@nivash said:

16 GB RAM is also a bit excessive for a gaming rig, you're never going to need more than 8 in the foreseeable future. Obviously 16 GB isn't going to hurt and the price difference isn't that big, but if you want to it would be perfectly reasonable to get a single 8 GB Vengeance now and just add another one in future if you want or need to.

Just wanted to point something out also is in regards to how DDR3 RAM works. I also made the same mistake with my own build as well. I've read posts and also asked Arthur Gies and Loyd Case about this, and they both mentioned that DDR3 is better when RAM sticks are in pairs since it's more efficient and there's higher bandwidth potential. So what the OP did was actually fine but he would have saved a bit if he got 2 x 4 GB sticks of RAM instead.

#13 Posted by Kidavenger (3608 posts) -

@carryboy: 8.1 is a weird upgrade right now, you download it and it re installs windows completely as if you are upgrading to a new windows release rather than a patch/service pack, they are distributing it with it's own cd key which they are giving out for free so I'm not too sure what will happen when it goes live later on this year.

I haven't had any compatibility issues with Windows 8 and I have about 100 games installed right now and I've played most of them.

The only two real issues are:

metro, which isn't a big deal once you are used to it and it will mostly disappear if you want it to with 8.1

the home edition doesn't play DVDs out of the box, you'll have to get a 3rd party solution or get the pro version, I moved onto bluray a long time ago so I had to get software for that anyway so it wasn't a real issue for me, I'd imagine most people are in the same boat.

#14 Posted by GaspoweR (3368 posts) -

@carryboy: 8.1 is a weird upgrade right now, you download it and it re installs windows completely as if you are upgrading to a new windows release rather than a patch/service pack, they are distributing it with it's own cd key which they are giving out for free so I'm not too sure what will happen when it goes live later on this year.

I haven't had any compatibility issues with Windows 8 and I have about 100 games installed right now and I've played most of them.

The only two real issues are:

metro, which isn't a big deal once you are used to it and it will mostly disappear if you want it to with 8.1

the home edition doesn't play DVDs out of the box, you'll have to get a 3rd party solution or get the pro version, I moved onto bluray a long time ago so I had to get software for that anyway so it wasn't a real issue for me, I'd imagine most people are in the same boat.

BUMP! Also I'm currently using StartIsBack in restoring Start button functionality as well as booting to Desktop and it has worked wonders for me. Barely see or even use the Modern UI Start Screen and it's been great. It's also super cheap ($3 for 2 licenses or $5 for 5 licenses). You can also download it and try it out for 30 days just to see if you like it.

#15 Posted by Nivash (241 posts) -

@gaspower said:

@nivash said:

Just wanted to point something out also is in regards to how DDR3 RAM works. I also made the same mistake with my own build as well. I've read posts and also asked Arthur Gies and Loyd Case about this, and they both mentioned that DDR3 is better when RAM sticks are in pairs since it's more efficient and there's higher bandwidth potential. So what the OP did was actually fine but he would have saved a bit if he got 2 x 4 GB sticks of RAM instead.

I was not aware of that, good to know. I also got just one stick for my latest build, I guess I should consider adding another one then.

#16 Edited by Patman99 (1620 posts) -

The French judge gives it a 7.5.

Seems like mostly high grade parts but I would suggest an SSD to store your OS on. It will boot in like 20 seconds. If you want a "future-proof" system maybe a better GPU or even try xfire?

#17 Posted by GaspoweR (3368 posts) -

@nivash: Yeah just make sure that they are the same stick to be safe. I made the same blunder with my rig as well, got one 8GB RAM stick only to find out about how DDR3 RAM really works (i.e. dual channel) after the fact and then I asked both of the guys at the same time on Twitter. Also Loyd Case is really great on Twitter too. Most of the time I've asked him a PC build question, he actually responds.

@carryboy: Just curios, what brand did you get for the GPU by the way?

#18 Posted by omghisam (308 posts) -

You're over building for 1080p gaming. Unless you're going to upgrade to a 1440p monitor, you can easily run games on max with a GTX 670 or 7870. That much ram is overkill. IMO the sabertooth is not really worth the extra money and you definitely need to get ssd as a primary drive. It will be the single biggest improvement you can make.

If you want decent advice, reddit has an active community to rate your build.

www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

#19 Edited by GaspoweR (3368 posts) -

@carryboy: Oh yeah you can also use this as a guide as well: http://www.logicalincrements.com/ Also if you are willing to, you can probably just go for a GTX 770 instead of the Radeon HD 7970.

Also you are not necessarily over building as one of the duders suggested though since if you are planning on getting extra monitors down the line or a bigger one than you'd be fine. :) That would really just be up to how much you are willing to spend. Also that digital foundry piece linked by another duder here is a pretty good article which would also pretty much answer or address you particular concern ("futureproofing"). Having an SSD for your OS and having a large HDD for your games other media is probably the ideal set up but at the same time it would also be dependent on your budget since SSDs are very pricey.

#20 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4469 posts) -

I would put a 770 in there instead, rest looks fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.