Pluses with a gaming pc

#1 Posted by Aremp (5 posts) -

Hi I'm 13 and I was wondering for some pluses on getting a gaming pc. I have recently started Java development and wanted a new computer because the laptop I have is quite bad and it always gets the bsod and it won't stop crashing. I am good with computers and know a lot about them so I wanted a new one for my gaming and java development. So any hell on pluses?

Thanks

#2 Edited by AlisterCat (5568 posts) -

Cheap games.

#3 Edited by Neonie (438 posts) -
  • Put it together your self and feel accomplished. Always good to know the inner workings of the thing you're using.
  • Every PC you build is a custom piece of equipment. You choose it's parts, you put it together, and no one has anything else like it.
  • Games on the PC are pretty good.
  • Putting one together your self is cheaper and more efficient then buying store bought junk.
  • Buy the right parts, and unlike your laptop, it won't sound like a wind tunnel every time you turn it on. (For graphics cards and power supplies, make sure you see multiple positive feedbacks on a piece of equipment that note how "quiet" they are before buying.)
  • Laptops are garbage
  • Apple is over priced

Also you say you're developing for Java, but that platform is hella old, maybe try something else? I actually don't know how relevant Java is in the current computing landscape maybe I'm wrong.

#4 Posted by Draugen (649 posts) -

Better performance, more freedom than the consoles. cheaper games and alot of versatility.

Oh, and mouse and keyboard, the king of controls.

#5 Posted by Raven10 (1790 posts) -

@neonie said:
  • Put it together your self and feel accomplished. Always good to know the inner workings of the thing you're using.
  • Every PC you build is a custom piece of equipment. You choose it's parts, you put it together, and no one has anything else like it.
  • Games on the PC are pretty good.
  • Putting one together your self is cheaper and more efficient then buying store bought junk.
  • Buy the right parts, and unlike your laptop, it won't sound like a wind tunnel every time you turn it on. (For graphics cards and power supplies, make sure you see multiple positive feedbacks on a piece of equipment that note how "quiet" they are before buying.)
  • Laptops are garbage
  • Apple is over priced

Also you say you're developing for Java, but that platform is hella old, maybe try something else? I actually don't know how relevant Java is in the current computing landscape maybe I'm wrong.

This pretty much covers everything I would have said. I'd also add that in addition to being "pretty good" PC games more often go on sale and can sometimes be modded or altered in ways that console games can't. If you can afford a decent gaming PC I don't know why you would choose a console outside of the exclusive games on those systems. At 13 years old I should mention that making a good gaming PC is costly. I don't know how wealthy your parents are, but before you begin this process understand that you'll need around $1000 to build a decent system assuming you already have a monitor. If you don't then add another $200-500 onto that depending on the quality of monitor you want. For that price, assuming you are patient and wait for good sales, you should be able to play any game released on close to max settings at 1080/1200p and at least high settings on most current releases should you go with a 2k or a 4k monitor. If you want to assure 1080p/60fps for every single game completely maxed out then you'll probably have to spend closer to $1300 without monitor although I wouldn't recommend getting such a computer if you have any sort of budgetary restraints.

#6 Edited by Whimsee (10 posts) -

You can always replace the individual parts that break and upgrade those you think need upgrading within compatibility constraints, of course.

That said, start cheap-ish but buy a good and future-proofed motherboard so you'll have a lot of options in the future then upgrade once you have the cash. It will get expensive as time goes on but once you get your perfect setup, it will last you for years without upgrading and you can still play the latest games with only a small drop in performance and graphics quality if you're into those kind of things.

And yes, they're very versatile. If you're smart or do a lot of things that involve a computer, you can do just about anything with it and it's still useful even if you fall out of gaming. I built mine primarily for gaming but I've done so many video side projects with it (because it was powerful enough to render video quickly) that it doubled as my workstation and eventually upgraded with that in mind.

#7 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1439 posts) -

You get to school fools with crazy-good graphics and computer-whiz words. Plus, girls love a dude with a legit PC, because you're basically saying "Yo, I got that BIG BRAAAAIIIN!"

#8 Posted by dusker (158 posts) -

I know you didnt ask for this info, but I always build my PCs from the GAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745567

Another consideration are Steam Machines next year, depending on what you're looking for.

For me, the reason I use a PC for most of my gaming is because there are less exclusives that I'll miss. I'm not going to buy an Xbox One, a PS4 and a Wii U right now. It's too expensive. But, with a PC and a Wii U, I can play almost every game that comes out (eventually).

#9 Edited by MB (12409 posts) -

Use your PC for school, video & audio production, get into modding PC games, develop your own mods, develop your own games, the list is endless.

#10 Posted by believer258 (11911 posts) -

Oh. As in positives. I'm getting old!

...I'm 22.

Anyway, "pluses" on PC gaming? Pretty much everything. It would be easier to list the negatives (virus scans, driver and software updates, etc.), and how bad those negatives are really just depends on how computer-savvy you are. Getting the most out of a gaming PC requires knowing computer basics and maybe a little more than that, but not much.

#11 Posted by Brother_PipPop (255 posts) -

@dusker:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

#12 Posted by dusker (158 posts) -

@brother_pippop: Man, I've seen that before and lost the site. This is sick. Definitely have wanted to find this again. Thanks!

#13 Edited by Aremp (5 posts) -

Thanks everyone for your help and I have a moniter already my dad gave me as a gift so I could use 2 screens on my laptop but yeah thanks again and @Neonie: java is more just to start me out but yeah thanks again everyone for your help

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.