Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Possible upgrade from GTX 770

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So there are some pretty sick deals on cards going on for the next few days as seen here.

I already have a GTX 670 and I'm fairly happy but I'm not quite able to max out every setting on every game and I would like to be able to. Do you duders think it would be worth it to upgrade to the 770 or even 780? I'm thinking I would be able to run just about everything at 1080p60 with all settings maxed with VSYNC on to reduce screen tearing hopefully.

Thoughts?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

i'd wait another generation.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jams

Don't fall in that hole man. Learn what settings have the biggest diminishing returns and knock them down a notch. A 670 should probably run everything at max unless the game is poorly optimized or they have stupid settings like ubersampling that don't really add any benefit while dropping your frames by half.

Also, I'd use Nvidia's adaptive frame rate in their control panel and turn V-Sync off in game.

Edit: I should also note that that 770 package does seem like a really good deal. I have a 660ti so it'd really help me out but I don't think I'm ready to upgrade yet. I think I'll wait until I can barely run games at 60 120fps (forgot I bought a new monitor that does up to 144hz) on medium settings before I buy a new card. Maybe by then they'll finally come up with something new.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SamStrife

My 670 runs everything at 1080p, max settings, almost perfectly. Don't upgrade yet, especially when the card you would be upgrading to is on the same architecture.

Next year the 800, Maxwell, series come out and they look like game changers in the GPU market. The year after that, the 900 series will refine the Maxwell architecture even more.

You'll be absolutely fine until the 900 series without a doubt. Hell you'd be fine intil the 1000 series Voltas come out in 2016.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You'd essentially be upgrading from a 670 to a 680. Not worth it at all. Wait at least for one more generation.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By korwin

The 770 is essentially an overclocked 680, the jump will only be around 20%, i'd hold off for another 10 months or so as Nvidia's Maxwell stuff should be popping up around then.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Im running a 660 SuperClocked and pretty much everything I run is on high / maxed. I would Like to upgrade but I just got this card a few months ago and I honestly dont need to since its working wonders compared to my gts250 x2 sli since most of my games didn't like sli.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You crazy bro. A 770 is not much faster than a 670. Just wait until the 8xx series comes out.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait till next year, the bump in the next gen cards should be nice.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Devildoll

@korwin said:

The 770 is essentially an overclocked 680, the jump will only be around 20%, i'd hold off for another 10 months or so as Nvidia's Maxwell stuff should be popping up around then.

word

been a while since i said "word" y'all

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Wait at least a generation bro

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cannedstingray

This pisses me off. I just bought an EVGA superclocked 770 4gb for I think $450 like 2 weeks ago. And it only came with 1 game Arkham Origins.

This shit happens every time I buy something it seems like

Not much of a gain from my 2 superclocked 570's in sli, but it's quieter and sli is a bit of a pain to deal with.

Incidentally, I now have 2 EVGA sc 570's for sale that I should probably put on Craigslist or ebay at some point.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the same boat as Jeff when it comes to MB/Processor. But I have the 570 he sold to Brad. Not sure if I should upgrade or wait.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Andorski

@barrock said:

I'm in the same boat as Jeff when it comes to MB/Processor. But I have the 570 he sold to Brad. Not sure if I should upgrade or wait.

A GTX 770 is a worthy upgrade if you were already considering getting the three free games that come with it (AC4, Arkham Origins, Splinter Cell Blacklist). The card is around $350 - $150 worth of games makes spending $200 to upgrade from a 570 to a 770 worthwhile. The 570 is still a good card though, and if you are willing to stick with the performance it currently offers for the next year then you can get the GTX 8XX series of cards, which will allegedly have a new architecture design and thus a huge increase in performance compared to the 600 and 700 series of cards.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

@barrock said:

A GTX 770 is a worthy upgrade if you were already considering getting the three free games that come with it (AC4, Arkham Origins, Splinter Cell Blacklist). The card is around $350 - $150 worth of games makes spending $200 to upgrade from a 570 to a 770 worthwhile. The 570 is still a good card though, and if you are willing to stick with the performance it currently offers for the next year then you can get the GTX 8XX series of cards, which will allegedly have a new architecture design and thus a huge increase in performance compared to the 600 and 700 series of cards.

I really, really should wait. I got a new job about 2 months ago and I've been spending wisely so I've got a nice bit of money saved up. But I have both consoles pre-ordered and almost all paid off. I just need to wait.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.