Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PS/2 keyboard or mechanical?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ezekiel

I wanna switch from my Logitech K120 because I'm sick of not being able to press certain keys simultaneously. Like, I have WASD for movement in Shovel Knight and </> for attacks and jumps, and often I can't attack or jump. I don't want a loud keyboard, so I'm kind of hesitant about mechanical ones. But I know one of the benefits with a lot of them are the different circuits for each key. I also haven't owned a PS/2 keyboard in many years, but from what I understand simultaneous button presses work better on the old technology. I think I remember the buttons on the same row cancelling each other out, though. I don't wanna pay a lot for a keyboard. Do I really need a mechanical keyboard or will PS/2 suffice?

Here are the ones I have in mind.

PS/2:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Classic-Keyboard-K100-920-003199/dp/B004VVLZN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467160364&sr=8-1&keywords=ps2+keyboard

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Standard-104-key-Keyboard/dp/B004XBLDZS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1467160364&sr=8-6&keywords=ps2+keyboard

USB/mechanical:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DBJTZU2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28WRXTLHHB61D&coliid=I3R6EX5M823J26&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EAFSTCQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28WRXTLHHB61D&coliid=I1BFJWRPO4O5XB

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EFR1SFY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28WRXTLHHB61D&coliid=I11HAPJH8HKB5W&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DPCJADC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28WRXTLHHB61D&coliid=I1127Y530667I2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZXXF92/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28WRXTLHHB61D&coliid=IX8LL7L0OLMR3&psc=1

Any suggestions? I don't want anything big and extreme looking. It needs to be simple and comfortable.

Edit: I crossed off all the ones with blue switches. I want a quieter keyboard.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was in this situation about two years ago and my wonderful brother and I researched this topic. I hate mechanical keyboards. They are loud (I have not tested any new ones).

But I found a keyboard I fell in love with that is not mechanical and has 100% anti-ghosting. I've put my arm across the keyboard and rolled it and it registered all the key hits. It was amazing. It's a very simple keyboard, but it does have lots of features. The programmable macro's on the left are very handy and easy to set up. The volume controls on the keyboard are bad ass (Set your speaker volume and just control it from the little wheel. Haven't touched my speakers in a year). Also it has a USB port on it so you can charge your phone or microphone or whatever from the keyboard. It has lighting, but you can turn that off if you want. I can't say enough good things about this keyboard.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Raptor-Gaming-Keyboard-CH-9000007-NA/dp/B00D78Q4UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467247942&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+k50

That price is no where near accurate, you can buy them elsewhere for cheaper, but I stand by that keyboard. I also stand by Corsair's products, and have not tested others. So take it how you will.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look for keyboards with brown or razer orange switches if you want quieter mechanical keyboards. Some you linked have blue (loud) and others have razer orange.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, the big plate is a wrist rest they provide. You can take it off and it looks like a normal keyboard. I find the rest to be comfortable. It's a softer plastic, but is still hard.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, the big plate is a wrist rest they provide. You can take it off and it looks like a normal keyboard. I find the rest to be comfortable. It's a softer plastic, but is still hard.

I found the answer on the Amazon link and deleted my post like a second before yours. It's a nice looking keyboard. A bit pricey, though.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel

You can buy a Corsair certified refurbished for 60 bucks on corsair's website. I've bought from them before and they warranty their stuff like it was new. Hope this helps! I really like this keyboard a lot.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/raptor-k50-gaming-keyboard-na-refurbished

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Doesn't sound like you are in the market for a mechanical keyboard so why not just stick to the cheaper models you mentioned? They just as comfortable and you will save a bunch of cash in the process. As someone with multiple mechanical keyboards, I can tell you they are for enthusiasts and crazy people.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ezekiel

@dgtlty said:

Doesn't sound like you are in the market for a mechanical keyboard so why not just stick to the cheaper models you mentioned? They just as comfortable and you will save a bunch of cash in the process. As someone with multiple mechanical keyboards, I can tell you they are for enthusiasts and crazy people.

I'm not sure what you mean by sticking to the cheaper models instead of going with a mechanical. They are mechanical. Do you mean the two PS/2 keyboards? My concern is keys cancelling each other out.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, blue switches are out of the question. I don't get the point of a clicky keyboard. One of the videos I watched comparing mechanical and membrane keyboards was kind of funny. Instead of talking about the things that matter, the guy spent a good minute or two talking about which keyboard sounded more satisfying.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I like my loud mechanical keyboard, it is satisfyingly noisy. But, I will admit the nice thing about mechanical keyboard, is they are more often than not heavy, so don't move when typing.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Try using a mechanical keyboard. That's honestly the only way you can know if you'd want one. I wasn't bothered about it for ages, but then I got a good deal on a red switch Cherry mx3 and it's SO nice to type on. So much better than any membrane keyboard, and not even that much louder than the old Sidewinder X4 I had. Sure one with blues would be louder, but why would you buy blues if you're buying with gaming in mind?

Also tonnes of usb keyboards have n key rollover.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I use Steelseries mechanical keyboards with Cherry MX Black switches. The switches are linear, meaning they don't "click" when they register. Steelseries doesn't appear to make the model I have anymore. The closest looks to be the Apex M500. It's got full n-key rollover and uses Cherry MX Red switches (which have a lower operating force than the Black switches).

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
    deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel:

I know...I have friends who are into mechanical and they are obsessed with the clicks. Regular PS/2 is fine, it really depends what you're used to. The amount of time it would take for me to get comfortable with a mechanical would not override my fluidity with my good old fashioned PS/2.'s.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By peacebrother

I thought I wanted browns because I thought I wanted a quiet keyboard. Finally got my hands on a testing board at Microcenter, and realized that I adore the blue. It feels more satisfying to press the keys, the click sounds and feels so good; overall I just prefer blues in every way. Browns were immensely unsatisfying, and "mushier" feeling than the blues. That may have been the effect of the lack of a click. If I had ordered a brown board before I actually got the chance to test them, I would have been extremely disappointed.

Blues forever.

Really though, you *have* to get your hands on a few different keys, that's the only way to know. If you have a microcenter in your area, they may have a keyboard with blues, browns, reds, and blacks equipped so you can see the difference side by side.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blues? Personally, I think even reds give too much resistance for extended WASD sessions, but I love the typing feel too much to go back to a membrane keyboard just for gaming. This is what I got recently: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3BDNLU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Frankly, it's way more money than anyone should ever spend on a keyboard, but I prefer gaming in the dark so backlighting is a must. And if you're going backlit you might as well go full RGB.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.