PS4 and XBox One are coming, what controller will you be using?

Posted by chiablo (908 posts) 11 months, 29 days ago

Poll: PS4 and XBox One are coming, what controller will you be using? (143 votes)

Sticking with the XBox 360 controller 30%
XBox One Controller 26%
PS4 Controller 34%
Other 10%

The definitive controller for use on the PC is the XBox 360 controller. Combined with the wireless adapter and native support in games, it's almost a requirement for everyone to have one.

With the next generation of consoles at our door, will this change at all? What do you think will be the new standard for controllers in 2014 and beyond?

#1 Posted by Wacomole (815 posts) -

I've seen no need at all to spend money on an Xbox controller for my PC when my PS3 controller works absolutely fine (with DStool software)

#2 Posted by thdemn (94 posts) -

Everything I have heard and seen about the Xone controller seems like just refining perfect. Provided native support remains, I will probably upgrade.

#3 Posted by AlexW00d (6191 posts) -

Yeah I just use my ps3 controller.

#4 Posted by chiablo (908 posts) -

The thing I would be most interested in is if you could use the touchpad on the PS4 controller to control the mouse cursor. All of a sudden, this goes from being a good controller to being the perfect thing for couch gaming.

#5 Posted by Nodima (1119 posts) -

Well, I'm a broke dude who games, when he games on a PC, on a Mac, so...once I own a PS4, that'll mean I've sold my PS3, and that'll mean I'm using a DS4 on my Mac, if it'll let me. I may never even ask it to let me, the only games I play on computers on SNES games, really. Being that my computer is a 2008 iMac and those, apparently, can't run Half Life 2 competently after all those years.

#6 Posted by Nictel (2386 posts) -

The one that works straight away. I used the PS3 controller for a while but that took work, the 360 controller was just plug'n'play. I don't have preference for either controller so the 360 was an easy choice in that perspective. If I enjoy one of the new controllers much more I might use that one.

#7 Edited by Zeik (2260 posts) -

If I can get the PS4 controller to work without too much hassle I'll definitely use that. I've always preferred the Dualshock, but I've been using the 360 controller on the PC just because it's so much easier to just plug-and-play.

#8 Posted by Winsord (1173 posts) -

If developers started to support the DS4 the same way the 360 controller is supported now, I'd probably end up using that. The best part about using the 360 controller on PC right now though is that it works seamlessly with so many games, so if it's not supported in the same way, then I'll stick with the Xbox controllers.

I'm curious as to what support will be like for the original 360 controller versus the new Xbox One controller. They're so similar that I'd hope they'll both work without issue, and if that's the case, I probably won't bother upgrading. Actually, is there going to be a wired version of the Xbox One controller? I just kind of assumed there would be, but if not, I'd rather stick with a wired 360 controller for PC usage.

#9 Posted by falserelic (5334 posts) -

Ps3 to PS4

#10 Posted by Belegorm (364 posts) -

Probably do what I've always done and use my good old dualshock 1 or 2. It gets irritating that it can be hard to get the damn thing working for some games (there aren't even any controller settings in some games O.o), but I have no confidence in Microsoft making a good controller after the 360 controller. Being forced to emulate the 360 controller for certain games is insulting as all hell, considering the 360 controller. The d-pad is one of the most useless ones I've ever used; whether for attempting to input a qcf in a fighting game, or complicated moves in a platformer, it feels useless. The bumpers feel dumb as hell, give me a real shoulder button. The triggers are an interesting idea but I'm not prepared to sacrifice the digital feeling of a good old R2 or L2 button. I need to hit my buttons fast, not this analogue crap. The face buttons feel dumb, but I can live with that I guess.

The 360 controller's decent I guess for shooters, racing games and sports games, but I don't play racing games or sports games, and why would I take a controller over a mouse and keyboard for shooters? It's beyond useless for fighting games, and feels awkward for 2D platformers with the bad d-pad. It also feels weird with basically any game that you could use the d-pad in. The controller's very big and heavy too, like a tank, which I don't really want.

For all I know they can make a better controller, but considering the original xbox controller was terrible as well, their track record's pretty bad. I don't like the cheap plasticky feeling of the ps3 controller either, but at least it's closer to a good controller. However I still feel fine with using my dualshock 1 or dualshock 2.

#11 Posted by Devildoll (877 posts) -

I've got an XBONE odered, cause i need something that will play forza 5.
I don't really use controllers for games on pc, but i do have a 360 controller i use in those few cases, i'll obviously try the XBONE controller, since i'm going to use it to play forza anyway.

#12 Edited by RonGalaxy (2910 posts) -

It would be kind of awesome if modders/hackers/whatever you call them could find a way to make the track pad on the ps4 controller function as a mouse (not for game use, but rather general use).

Anyway, I'll probably stick to using a 360 controller on pc. Devs won't make use of the features on the ps4 controller, and I don't need rumble in the triggers.

#13 Posted by Capum15 (4822 posts) -

I'll probably stick with my 360 controller for a while. Works fine.

#14 Posted by jimmyfenix (3836 posts) -

My 360 wired controller has seen better days so i would love to see how the PS4 controller works or if they reduce the price of a 360 wired controller.

#15 Posted by kerse (2103 posts) -

Have not touched either controller yet so I really can't say.

#16 Posted by Vinny_Says (5691 posts) -

Asking people what they will buy when none of us have any experience with either the Xone or PS4 controller seems pointless....

#17 Posted by Corvak (923 posts) -

I'll stick with the X360 pad. I do love the PS3 controller, but plug and play is just so convenient. Will wait and see if the new controllers offer this to PCs.

#18 Posted by Chumley_Marchbanks (96 posts) -

If I can get the PS4 controller working with relative ease then I will definitely make the switch.

#19 Posted by Slaegar (694 posts) -

If there is good support for the Xbox One controller on PC games, I may pick one up for the better D-pad. I would be spending nearly $80 if I wanted to use an Xbox 360 controller with the nicer d-pad on my PC so I may as well get the new hotness for my money.

Also, holy balls controllers are expensive now. At least I wouldn't have to buy batteries for a PS4 controller, but I would prefer native support from the games.

#20 Posted by SomeJerk (3159 posts) -

WiiU tablet's working with PC now so it's just a question of time until the DS4 touchpad gets figured out. I like controllers that bring something new to the table.

#21 Posted by RioStarwind (489 posts) -

I'll most likely keep using my ps3 controller for a while. At least till they figure out of the DS4.

#22 Posted by Ezakael (916 posts) -

I'll continue to use my Xbox 360 controller probably. Once the ps4 is out and my 360 is sitting on my shelf collecting dust at least the controller will still be useful.

#23 Posted by Andorski (5204 posts) -

I'm hoping that MS does API support for the XBONE controller like did for the 360 controller. If they do, then I'm switching.

Now... if Sony actually adds PC support for the DS4 and adds mouse control on the touchpad, I might go for that. Doubt Sony would do any type of support though.

#24 Edited by ez123 (1946 posts) -

@winsord: The Xbox One controller has a mini usb slot that turns it into a wired controller.

I think the layout of the 360 controller is amazing so keeping that and just improving things(dpad, responsiveness of sticks, rumble) is great. Neither controller needed a touchpad.

DS4 still looks great, can't wait to try them both out.

#25 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Currently using DS3, so as soon as DS4 is working, I'll use that.

#26 Posted by Aetheldod (3514 posts) -

If it works on PC without much hassle PS4 controller.

#27 Posted by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -

I still have to get them in my hands. I'm not convinced that the Xbox One controller's dpad is fixed, people said the rotating pad was good too, but it was terrible.

#29 Edited by TMBaker (230 posts) -

Ill be grabbing XBox ONE controller as soon it's available, rumble in the triggers sound great. For those who cant leave there dual shocks or looking for alternative to XBox controllers may I suggest :

Logitech F710

Official Website Link

Amazon Link

#30 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

See no need to change my Logitech controller for anything right now. Though because this is a PC forum, it will most likely have to change to one of the xbox controllers for compatibility issues, so many games now are only coded to work with the xbox controller its almost pointless trying to get any other controller for the PC unless you're on a tight budget, but dont expect it to work 100% of the time, if you want that, you are forced to get an xbox controller, period. Even with the xbox controller emulator, that doesn't work half of the time anyway and a lot of bullshit goes with that too trying to configure it all.......

#31 Posted by shinjin977 (748 posts) -

Ps3 to PS4

Is it weird that the ds3 look like it had an erection and turn into ds4?

#32 Posted by TyCobb (1947 posts) -

If the PS4's triggers are still a piece of shit like the PS3's then I will always be using an Xbox controller. Also, I prefer the location of the left stick where it is located on the Xbox controller. The Dreamcast controller had it in the right spot 14 years ago!

#33 Posted by ajamafalous (11869 posts) -

I like that you imply that the wireless adapter is the standard way for people to use their 360 controllers on their PCs.

#34 Posted by falserelic (5334 posts) -

@falserelic said:

Ps3 to PS4

Is it weird that the ds3 look like it had an erection and turn into ds4?

Not at all it got excited...

#35 Posted by chiablo (908 posts) -

I like that you imply that the wireless adapter is the standard way for people to use their 360 controllers on their PCs.

It used to be, before Microsoft stupidly discontinued them.

#36 Posted by Ezekiel (374 posts) -

I find the Xbox controller uncomfortable. Mine also had a dead zone. Unless I buy another PS3 soon, I'll probably get a third party DualShock imitation after my DS3 becomes unusable, so that I won't have to use MotioninJoy anymore. That Logitech F710 doesn't look bad.

#37 Posted by OGinOR (314 posts) -

@tycobb: Exactly this...the asymmetrical analog sticks are just more comfortable for me...I'll be sticking with MS.

#38 Edited by Ezekiel (374 posts) -

@tycobb: Nobody complains about the location of the right stick, even though camera control is more important than the face buttons in many modern games. I don't see how the left stick being down there is so much worse.

#39 Edited by OGinOR (314 posts) -

@ezekiel: When you hold a controller (at least when I do), your thumbs naturally wind up at about a 45 degree angle across the face of the controller. Having the left stick 'up', so that it sits where your thumb naturally wants to on the face of the controller leads to far less fatigue in long gaming sessions, IME. I feel like I'm constantly 'stretching' a little with a DS3 to control movement and it gets annoying.

#40 Posted by Brenderous (1098 posts) -

Mouse and keyboard let's get real here

#41 Posted by TyCobb (1947 posts) -

@ezekiel said:

@tycobb: Nobody complains about the location of the right stick, even though camera control is more important than the face buttons in many modern games. I don't see how the left stick being down there is so much worse.

"Modern" as in First Person Shooters? =P

#42 Posted by chiablo (908 posts) -

Mouse and keyboard let's get real here

Dark Souls is unplayable in this configuration, unfortunately.

#43 Posted by Ezekiel (374 posts) -

@oginor said:

@ezekiel: When you hold a controller (at least when I do), your thumbs naturally wind up at about a 45 degree angle across the face of the controller. Having the left stick 'up', so that it sits where your thumb naturally wants to on the face of the controller leads to far less fatigue in long gaming sessions, IME. I feel like I'm constantly 'stretching' a little with a DS3 to control movement and it gets annoying.

Maybe it just takes some getting used to. I find that my thumbs have good natural range when I hold the controller in the upper half of my palms.

#44 Edited by Ezekiel (374 posts) -

@tycobb said:

@ezekiel said:

"Modern" as in First Person Shooters? =P

Third and first, racers and genre crossovers like GTA.

Other than that, Dark Souls is a good example. You attack and defend with the shoulder buttons.

#45 Posted by ajamafalous (11869 posts) -

@chiablo said:

@ajamafalous said:

It used to be, before Microsoft stupidly discontinued them.

No; I'd still say that a wired 360 controller was the standard.

#46 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

Sticking to MKB. I play games on PC to avoid ever need to use controllers.

#47 Posted by LunyAlex (7 posts) -

The new PS4 Controller is looking mighty comfortable.

#48 Posted by MikeJFlick (438 posts) -

I've never been a fan of Microsoft's controllers, so count me down for Sony.

#49 Edited by probablytuna (3550 posts) -

I've been using the DS3 just fine and hearing about how much of an improvement the DS4 is, I think I'll be switching to it as soon as possible for my PC needs. Though I guess by that time my focus will be on PS4 games.

#50 Edited by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

I will never, never, never EVER use a gamepad with symmetrical thumbsticks. The Wii U Pro Controller may be the only exception, since they are placed above the buttons and thus much further apart than the PS3/4's.

I'll be sticking to the 360 gamepad for the time being.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.