Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Q: DayZ or DeadZ Reborn?

Nixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Nixx

ive found my self torn between investing in the early access of DayZ on steam, or paying for an account for DeadZ Reborn, which is already fully released.

I dont know much about the inner workings of either games since i dont know anyone whos played em, so anyone here who's played one or the other have any input to help me decide? :)

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Karkarov

Neither?

Seriously if you have to get one go for DeadZ. DayZ is a permanent alpha that is not going to be developed further. The guy who made it did his cash grab and ran.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@karkarov said:

Neither?

Seriously if you have to get one go for DeadZ. DayZ is a permanent alpha that is not going to be developed further. The guy who made it did his cash grab and ran.

That's a little harsh. I agree the game is in too early a state to be worth investing in, but the guy has been super transparent and seems committed to getting the game to a complete state. The most recent update was June 18th, not exactly a dormant project.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After just 5 mins searching I've yet to see anything that would make me interested in DeadZ. Seems to have a lot of people loosing accounts so I'd stay away. If you want a zombie survival game pick up state of decay if it’s still on sale.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@ll_exile_ll: I just wonder what his definition of "complete" is.

Nixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

see thats been one of my major holdbacks on DayZ, is that for all the years ive heard about it, in mod form, now working on standalone, its been years, and its still not stable. its just a bit troubling, other than that it seems like a valid choice. vanishing accounts sound like a game breaker, ill be damned if ima pay for something ill just lose, ive had enough of that.

ive never heard of state of decay though, any decent points i should know about it? :)

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By themangalist

@ll_exile_ll said:

@karkarov said:

Neither?

That's a little harsh. I agree the game is in too early a state to be worth investing in, but the guy has been super transparent and seems committed to getting the game to a complete state. The most recent update was June 18th, not exactly a dormant project.

I think he means buy Nether.

Just kidding. I agree with most others here, DayZ is a cool concept on the wrong engine, and games built from the groundup for the purpose of being DayZ should be better. That said, I have never heard of DeadZ Reborn.

EDIT: Alright after some Googling I suggest you DON'T buy DeadZ Reborn. No wonder I've never heard of it, it's basically Infestation: Survivor Stories, from what I've read, DeadZ was done on source code stolen from that game. And if you didn't know, Infestation: Survivor Stories is WarZ rebranded. And if you didn't know, WarZ is horrible. Check this out. WarZ was so controversial at the time for being a cheaters' heaven, a scam, and most importantly, an absolute SHIT game. I would not touch anything remotely related to that game. So here you go, if you must choose between the two, get DayZ. DayZ at least has a proper player base.

@nixx said:

ive never heard of state of decay though, any decent points i should know about it? :)

State of Decay is single-player only, but one of the best zombie survival games out there. You're dumped in a country side with three towns, and you'll need to settle in a base and go scavenging, or try to make your base self-sufficient. You'd find other npc survivors out there with special skills that'd keep you alive for longer. Nothing more tense than scavenging at night alone in a house when you realize that you made too much noise and the zombie horde next door chases you down.

Monty344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@nixx said:

see thats been one of my major holdbacks on DayZ, is that for all the years ive heard about it, in mod form, now working on standalone, its been years, and its still not stable. its just a bit troubling, other than that it seems like a valid choice. vanishing accounts sound like a game breaker, ill be damned if ima pay for something ill just lose, ive had enough of that.

DayZ standalone came out in alpha December of last year. As someone that has put over hundred hours in DayZ I think I'm baised in saying you should get DayZ. But If you feel you're not getting enough game I would wait to see what the game becomes.

Nixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ah so its kinda like dead island, except good.. i mean, actually open ended survival and not deceivingly linear?

if thats the case, considering im riding on crappy internet right now anyways, that just might be the place for me to start. ill definitely look into it :)

Nixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i just looked into state of ddecay and it looks like exactly what im looking for with DayZ being my patient runner up to wait and watch as it developes before jumping into the fray my self. i think with that being said, ive made up my mind :D

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By themangalist

@nixx said:

ah so its kinda like dead island, except good.. i mean, actually open ended survival and not deceivingly linear?

if thats the case, considering im riding on crappy internet right now anyways, that just might be the place for me to start. ill definitely look into it :)

Yes. It's amazing. It's Dark Souls in a way that when a survivor dies, the game saves instantly and overwrites your older save. There's no turning back, no reloading a save. I'll see if i can find my impressions of it later.

EDIT: This was written a while back:

...but Maya came very very close to dying.

Maya was my main after Marcus, I alternate between the two. Maya was a tough girl so when Lily asked the party to go back to the starter area for the momento, she went alone.

Big fucking mistake.

It was alright in the beginning until she realized the zombies would keep coming, the "clear this zone" area is way too big. Special infected kept swarming in. This was the first moment she felt like she could actually die. She climbed up the water tower and waited there until the sun set and that the crowd dispersed, and finally confident enough to jump back down, outrun the zombies, and head home.

I can't think of a moment that was this tense in a while. I was thinking to myself "fuck fuck fuck fuck" the whole time crouched on the tower. After that time, I couldn't play Maya like before, I was doing really sloppily sometimes too, fleeing in times when I used to feel like she could handle it. That experience scarred her and I for good.

Nixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themangalist: sounds intense but perfect. something that really makes my asshole clench when shit gets rough, yes, that is what a zombie game should make you feel, im downloading it now, sold! :P

Nixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh yeah, btw for anyone else interested, the game is currently on sale today and going for 4.99, the sales only for one day, so anyone else who wants in, jump on it! talk about perfect timing eh? haha

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nixx: In State of Decay, the characters are blank-slate and the story is pretty paper-thin (there are a few story missions yes). It's where imagination/immersion takes precedence. I guess in a way, that's like DayZ and that genre. And DayZ really isn't about survival from zombies anyways, it's a huge pvp arena where funny/stupid human interactions happen. If you are looking for a zombie survival game, I really don't think DayZ is it. Again, really depends on what you're looking for.

Nixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i swear, the more i hear, the more im pleased and excited about my decision with state of decay. blank slate, just being dropped in the middle of the apocalypse with one word in my head "Survive" and a world im free to figure out how to do that any way i see fit. basically a true to the word zombie apocalypse sim. bingo :)

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EDIT: Alright after some Googling I suggest you DON'T buy DeadZ Reborn. No wonder I've never heard of it, it's basically Infestation: Survivor Stories, from what I've read, DeadZ was done on source code stolen from that game. And if you didn't know, Infestation: Survivor Stories is WarZ rebranded. And if you didn't know, WarZ is horrible. Check this out. WarZ was so controversial at the time for being a cheaters' heaven, a scam, and most importantly, an absolute SHIT game. I would not touch anything remotely related to that game. So here you go, if you must choose between the two, get DayZ. DayZ at least has a proper player base.

Now you know why I said neither.

State of Decay is a better game than both so it was nice of you to suggest it.

DayZ though? No, just no. It is a boring game consisting of hours and hours and hours of just trying not to starve or run out of water only to get shot in the back by some guy you never even see. Yeah once every two hours or so something cool or really funny may happen.... but it took two hours. I actually had a stretch once where I played it for around 50 minutes straight and not only never saw another player on a supposed high population server... I didn't even see a zombie.

DayZ just isn't fun.

If anything @nixx if you want a real hard core apocalyptic survival shooter that gets freaky (but isn't really zombie related) get Stalker: Call of Pripyat.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vuud

Is there any one of these types of games that just lets me play offline with semi-decent bots? That's really all I want to do.

That DeadZ game looks exactly like WarZ/Infestation. Did they change the name again?

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had lot's of fun with DayZ. It's also still being updated. The guy who said it was in permanent alpha clearly likes to make stuff up.

Nixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok so that was a horrible mistake. got state of decay, played it, instantly quit, spent the entire day trying to find out why my computer with more than twice the recommended specs was playing at 10fps if i was fucking lucky, found out that this problem seems borderline universal despite anyone's system because of its horrible optimization and terrible port quality. became extremely pissed after pissing an entire day away trying every single thing anyone could suggest, burned that mother fucker in hell where it belongs.

sooo... fuck it, i guess what im gathering is that im just ditching the whole desire to play any of these games, im tired of fighting with it.

Thanks for all the tips guys, shame it didnt go anywhere but a bad mood, but hey we tried.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nixx: aww sucks to hear. I play on a laptop with a geforce 330m card and i got at least 25 frames all the time, on lowest settings. I guess ill have to burn in hell.

Nixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ha! nah you dont gotta burn, just my copy of the game. i mean shit the game it self seemed amazing, but the performance made it unplayable considering its a shooter and well if i die, my characters done for good. meh maybe ill pull it outa hell one day if i ever get a super godly computer, or they patch it so the performance actually reflects its system requirments. i might look into stalker one day when im not so burnt out from this ^_^;

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.