Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Question about installing Windows 7

Hangid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Hangid

Im looking to install Windows 7 on one of my older PCs (i have have an ISO file of it lying around). My older desktop basically has the specs of a net book. 1,128MB of RAM, 1.60 GHz processor etc. Although, it has a CD player only.  

So i was wondering if it was possible or a good idea to mount that ISO image to a virtual DVD drive using something like daemon tools. I actually tried it and the setup process got up and running up until i came to choosing which hard drive to install 7 on.  

At that point, it didn't seem right to me because it meant that i was going to wipe that hard drive and replace it with 7 (i was doing a clean install). And the setup and installion process was actually running off my hard drive, which was about to be wiped clean (Does this logic here make any sense?). I didn't go any further but i would like to know if this process of installing Windows 7 would actually work.  

I would use a USB drive but i don't have one on me at this time. 

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Novyx

It's good that you thought that, because there's no way it would work. You could, however, if you have an extra hard drive, hook that up and install cross-drive.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

Either that or: if your older computer is networked with another computer in your house you could transfer the ISO and technically install across said network.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Novyx

Also that. Or an external DVD drive, if you want the easy solution. But no one wants easy.

Anarchist4Eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Anarchist4Eva

Best bet is wait for at least 3 months after release & see how much trouble the OS in having with compatibility & security issues. Or don't hook this up to the net. But I think M$ requires the net for activation so scratch that. 

unreal999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By unreal999

The question is; where u got the ISO file from?

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Yit
    @unreal999 said:
    " The question is: where did you get the ISO file from? "
    FTFY

Anyways, they had a public RC beta a few months back. It might be that copy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.