Question about Origin.

#1 Posted by GlutenBob (143 posts) -

So I just got Mass Effect 3 and went to install it and it requires Origin. From what little I read from the Bioware forum, Origin is some kind of spyware?

Would that be an accurate statement? if so what type of information does it collect, and what happens to that info?

Do you guys use Origin?

#2 Posted by GS_Dan (1397 posts) -

It's EA's version of Steam. People call it spyware because it had some dodgy clauses in the terms of service but this got changed. Most people don't really give a shit and just get on with it at this point. It really isn't that bad.

#3 Posted by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -

I don't use Origin, it is a digital distribution platform, they will collect your email address and contact information when you setup your account, as far as spyware, I don't believe they are doing anything other than collecting system specs, but they do have some disturbing things in their eula that make it sound like they are or could do anything at any time and that is why people are pissed about it.

#4 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@GlutenBob said:

From what little I read from the Bioware forum [...]

Take what your read in official forums anywhere with a grain of salt.

#5 Edited by GlutenBob (143 posts) -

I have some password protected documents and some .txt files with confidential information. Will those be scanned too? I usually have them in my My Documents folder.

EDIT: Also i have been reading about placing Origin in a sandbox using Sandboxie. Do you guys recommend such a course of action, or should I just let Origin be as is.

#6 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@GlutenBob said:

I have some password protected documents and some .txt files with confidential information. Will those be scanned too? I usually have them in my My Documents folder.

Dont worry, Origin does not send the contents of files to any one. They are only scanning for cheat programs and mods.

#7 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -
@GlutenBob

EDIT: Also i have been reading about placing Origin in a sandbox using Sandboxie. Do you guys recommend such a course of action, or should I just let Origin be as is.

You're safe using origin. It used to just be EA download manager but they rebranded it.
#8 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

Good grief

#9 Posted by GlutenBob (143 posts) -

@alternate:

what do you mean?

#10 Posted by Aetheldod (3725 posts) -

Is just like steam , but for EA games and ... less awesome :/ , I wish I could have got Mass Effect 3 on steam tho, oh well

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

I am not qualified enough with EULAs and crap to give you a satisfying answer but, with 10 million people using Origin, I say just go for it.

#12 Posted by AlisterCat (5722 posts) -

Origin is totally fine. Install it.

#13 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

Origin stole my credit card info and murdered my grandparents. I cannot recommend this program.

#14 Posted by DeeGee (2140 posts) -

It's Steam, but for EA games.

People need to stop freaking out over nothing.

#15 Posted by EXTomar (4943 posts) -

There are some questionable things going on in Origin where the EULA specifically mentions they have the right to suspend accounts if they detect something they don't like. That is beyond what Steam, GoG, and others care about where they may have monitors on specific games that are invoked at runtime but it appears Origin will scan parts that have to do nothing with any installed game even not playing.

If you can handle that then go for it but it easy to see why it bothers some otherwise it is a safe market place to buy stuff on.

#16 Posted by CosmicQueso (572 posts) -

Not sure if serious.

Origin is fine. So much nonsense on the internet about it.

#17 Posted by Zuldim (287 posts) -

I don't like Origin very much, as it lags my computer, and at one point deleted my saves in a game, but calling it Spyware is a bit far. I've played several games with it, and it's better than, say, GFWL.

#18 Posted by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -

@GlutenBob said:

They aren't going to download any of your files, if that ever happened to anyone, the shit would hit the fan.

#19 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

Origin does nothing nasty Steam doesn't do, don't worry about it.

#20 Posted by KarlPilkington (2778 posts) -

Don't worry, they wont see those nudey pictures of you that you have hidden.

#21 Posted by GlutenBob (143 posts) -

@KarlPilkington said:

Don't worry, they wont see those nudey pictures of you that you have hidden.

phew..was a little worried there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.