Question about RAM

#1 Edited by MethodMan008 (820 posts) -

Yo dudes.

So I was messing around in my BIOS settings after a dude at work was telling me about clocking up RAM... I see mine was set at 13xx, so I clocked it up 16xx and my PC crashed twice playing FarCry3 after that.. After the two crashes I went back and switched the speed to Auto, and FarCry hasn't crashed since then.. The conclusion (guess) I came to is that I have slow RAM?

I do have 12gbs, but I always hear RAM is so cheap, would I see any noticeable performance boosts getting better RAM than what I currently have?

Thanks as always.

#2 Edited by Snail (8659 posts) -

If you have 12GBs of DDR3 RAM right now you have no need to upgrade. I don't know how much difference you'd actually notice if you got faster RAM, but I'm under the impression that it doesn't matter that much, and I don't think it's very reasonable to just throw away 12GB of perfectly working DDR3 RAM.

#3 Posted by bill (98 posts) -

@Snail said:

If you have 12GBs of DDR3 RAM right now you have no need to upgrade. I don't know how much difference you'd actually notice if you got faster RAM, but I'm under the impression that it doesn't matter that much, and I don't think it's very reasonable to just throw away 12GB of perfectly working DDR3 RAM.

#4 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@MethodMan008: not much at all if you dont combine it with processor overclocking , thats what its mainly done for anyway.

and the adjustment you made wouldnt have improved much if anything for farcry

#5 Posted by jking47 (1247 posts) -

Yeah, 12gb is more than enough. If you want to overclock things to help game performance, you want to look at your GPU and CPU. HOWEVER be very careful overclocking stuff unless you know what you are doing, you can shorten the lifespan or even burn out your parts if you are not careful.

#6 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

RAM voltage may need to be increased if you're getting instability.

#7 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

The gains you get from altering RAM timings is so minimal that it really isn't worth it. Same with the speed. Honestly, with a few minutes on Google I'm sure you'll run into the same articles that ran benchmarks on the performance gain (or lack thereof) that really pushing RAM did for gaming. I can promise you that your memory isn't something that is holding you back.

#8 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@jking47 said:

Yeah, 12gb is more than enough. If you want to overclock things to help game performance, you want to look at your GPU and CPU. HOWEVER be very careful overclocking stuff unless you know what you are doing, you can shorten the lifespan or even burn out your parts if you are not careful.

I just use the auto-tune features in CCC, turned my 3.4ghz quad core into 4.2ghz, which was easy.

#9 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Playing with that stuff is more useful for stability than for performance.

#10 Posted by Devildoll (909 posts) -

just like overclocking a cpu, you cant just crank the frequency up and expect it to run.

you've got to tamper with the voltages if you are hitting the edge.

but yeeh, you wont notice any performance increases, only in benchmarks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.