Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Range of wireless keyboard/mice

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Nate

I recently got my PC hooked up to my HDTV in a different room. The rooms are adjacent, but have a big (110 year old) plaster wall in between them. For the HDMI I drilled a little hole in the floor and ran it through my basement to get to the TV about 20 feet away. For a controller I've got a wireless transmitter for XBOX 360 controller that does work pretty well through the wall, although it cuts out once in a while if I'm sitting too far away.

Now I'd like to get a wireless keyboard and mouse (or keyboard with touchpad) so I can have full control from the living room. Should most wireless keybaords have that kind of range? It seems like most decent ones will reach 20-30 feet just fine, but the question is whether or not they'll send the signal through a pretty thick wall. Anyone have any suggestions. I've been looking at these two, and I hope to stay under $50 if possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Combo-Keyboard-920-002553/dp/B003VANO7C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348337490&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+keyboard+mouse

http://www.amazon.com/KB336RP-Range-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad/dp/B004GX4F7Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348337971&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+keyboard+range

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

It probably depends on the wires mouse/keyboard that you are using. I have a Logitech mouse and keyboard that connects with their unifying USB receiver (like the Logitech M+KB combo you posted in the first link) and it's able to work downstairs on my TV while the PC is upstairs. Not sure how that compares to a thick ass wall though.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Nate

@Andorski: That's encouraging. Thanks. I think that would probably be an apt comparison. The wall isn't solid, I just have a feeling it's thicker than more modern drywall.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.