Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Rate this PC (FINAL EDITION)

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Metalhead79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Metalhead79

Is there a reason for going with a GTX 275 over a 5770 (better yet 5850/5870)? The performance of a 5770 is roughly the same as a GTX 275 and it has the added benefit of DX11.  
    Your setup looks good. 

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

Looks golden. Doubt you'll need that much wattage from the power supply, unless you're planning to go multicard in the future.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I wouldn't mind having one like that.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kblt

Replace GTX 275 with radeon 5850 or 5870 if your budget allows it. They both destroy the competition.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yukoei
    @Kblt said:
    " Replace GTX 275 with radeon 5850 or 5870 if your budget allows it. They both destroy the competition. "
    @Metalhead79 said:
    " Is there a reason for going with a GTX 275 over a 5770 (better yet 5850/5870)? The performance of a 5770 is roughly the same as a GTX 275 and it has the added benefit of DX11.  Your setup looks good.  "
    The main reason for a new PC is Nvidia 3D vision and ATI cards dont work with it.

Thanks for the advice though.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz
    I don't see a monitor on that list?  If your going for 3d vision make sure you have at least a 120hz monitor.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yukoei
    @Marz said:
    " I don't see a monitor on that list?  If your going for 3d vision make sure you have at least a 120hz monitor. "
    I am getting the bundle from the Nvidia website.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Yukoei: 

I recommend viewing this forum and even posting your setup there to get further advise. Everyone there have always been very helpful and knowledgeable in my experience.
    Metalhead79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Metalhead79
    @Yukoei said:
    " @Kblt said:
    " Replace GTX 275 with radeon 5850 or 5870 if your budget allows it. They both destroy the competition. "
    @Metalhead79 said:
    " Is there a reason for going with a GTX 275 over a 5770 (better yet 5850/5870)? The performance of a 5770 is roughly the same as a GTX 275 and it has the added benefit of DX11.  Your setup looks good.  "
    The main reason for a new PC is Nvidia 3D vision and ATI cards dont work with it.  Thanks for the advice though. "
    Ah ok, that would be a good reason. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow

You should really think about getting a 1796MB GTX275  or 285 if you want to play GTA IV with max details (as that PC setup would easily handle).  You can get around the limits of it's VRAM usage with the -norestrictions command line but it means that the game sometimes doesn't render stuff properly.  That's only one example, but more VRAM will also help with Full Scene Anti Aliasing when you're using 3DVsion (it renders two frames, left and right eye, for every normal 2D frame) so the more VRAM you have the better it will be (and the less chance a game will eat into your considerably slower DDR3).

Also, you might want to think about getting this Mushkin RAM instead: -  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226050&cm_re=DDR3_1600-_-20-226-050-_-Product 

(sorry for that link but the site isn't letting me add a url normally)

It has a lower latency 6 vs the Corsair's 8 and much tighter timings 6-7-6-18 vs the Corsair's 7-7-7-20 and it's almost the same price.  These timings will make a lot a difference when your PC is rendering a lot of complex physics / AI in games and in general your PC will feel snappier.  It will also make a huge difference when overclocking which will give your machine a lot more value as you'll be able to easily ramp up clock speeds and not have your RAM holding you back or becoming slow as you loosen timings.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Evilsbane

I have the same case and it kicks ass man you'll love it.

Edit: Hey you should also get a small hard drive that runs at 10000rpm and just install your OS on that one and use a secondary drive for your other stuff it makes any OS run super super smooth.

RaidSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RaidSoft

You should (if you can afford it, looks like you have cash from what you are buying though) get an SSD drive for your OS/Programs (and maybe your most played games or something) since the difference is quite massive in terms of general speedyness of windows. I would recommend the Intel X25-M G2 80GB for that, unless you are waiting for SSD prices to drop (because SSD prices will drop like hell during the coming year) 

Personally the case I would have gotten would be the Antec P183 or P193 but the Twelve Hundred isn't a bad case =) I would have gotten a Samsung HDD (Samsung SpinPoint F3)  though but the difference is marginal really. Overall a very very nice computer regardless I must say!

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yukoei
    @Metalhead79 said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @Kblt said:
    @Metalhead79 said:
    The main reason for a new PC is Nvidia 3D vision and ATI cards dont work with it.  Thanks for the advice though. "
    Ah ok, that would be a good reason.  "
    Sarcasim?
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yukoei
    @Evilsbane said:
    "  I have the same case and it kicks ass man you'll love it.  Edit: Hey you should also get a small hard drive that runs at 10000rpm and just install your OS on that one and use a secondary drive for your other stuff it makes any OS run super super smooth. "
    @RaidSoft said:
    " You should (if you can afford it, looks like you have cash from what you are buying though) get an SSD drive for your OS/Programs (and maybe your most played games or something) since the difference is quite massive in terms of general speedyness of windows. I would recommend the Intel X25-M G2 80GB for that, unless you are waiting for SSD prices to drop (because SSD prices will drop like hell during the coming year)  Personally the case I would have gotten would be the Antec P183 or P193 but the Twelve Hundred isn't a bad case =) I would have gotten a Samsung HDD (Samsung SpinPoint F3)  though but the difference is marginal really. Overall a very very nice computer regardless I must say! "
    Difference between the OS SSD and Harddrive?
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @Yukoei said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    "  I have the same case and it kicks ass man you'll love it.  Edit: Hey you should also get a small hard drive that runs at 10000rpm and just install your OS on that one and use a secondary drive for your other stuff it makes any OS run super super smooth. "
    @RaidSoft said:
    " You should (if you can afford it, looks like you have cash from what you are buying though) get an SSD drive for your OS/Programs (and maybe your most played games or something) since the difference is quite massive in terms of general speedyness of windows. I would recommend the Intel X25-M G2 80GB for that, unless you are waiting for SSD prices to drop (because SSD prices will drop like hell during the coming year)  Personally the case I would have gotten would be the Antec P183 or P193 but the Twelve Hundred isn't a bad case =) I would have gotten a Samsung HDD (Samsung SpinPoint F3)  though but the difference is marginal really. Overall a very very nice computer regardless I must say! "
    Difference between the OS SSD and Harddrive? "
    The SSD is considerably faster but does cost lots, hence the reason for getting one for your OS and programs such as PS.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The SSD drive doesn't spin and alot faster, I think and since it's so expensive, you wouldn't be able to get enough gigs out of it for gaming. I don't recommend it, the western digital hardrive you have is more than enough. I mean I have over 400gig of pc games installed right now, probally more if I install every game I have out of a 500 gig sata 2 hardrive. 1 TB is about perfect imo. I also have a samsung spin point F3 hardrive and it's not that fast compared to western digital. You picked the right drive already.  

Edit: I see the samsung spinpoint 1 TB does have a 32 mb cache, which is comparable to yours, mine is only 16mb. Still if anything it's a reliable drive, didn't have any problems like what i've been hearing about seagate.   

to the next quote, he said he was getting a fermi gpu, which means gtx300, which will be more powerful than all of those.

@SeriouslyNow

said:  

"You should really think about getting a 1796MB GTX275  or 285 if you want to play GTA IV with max details (as that PC setup would easily handle).   

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SeriouslyNow

SSD's are fun and all but they actually make fuck all difference once the PC is up and running.  Yeah yeah, so your PC boots really quickly from the SSD and yeah yeah, the game that's installed on the SSD loads SO QUICKLY MMMAAANNN.  

The truth is that most people just put their Windows and Mac PC's to sleep these days and wake up with a mouse shake or keyboard tap, so it's a rare thing that you actually need to start your PC from a cold boot.  SSD is just a fancy type of flash memory and just like flash it has a limit to how many times it can be written to and read from before it craps up.  That doesn't mean that SSD is inherently bad just that it's not the second coming like people (and Samsung) are making it out to be.

RaidSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RaidSoft

Indeed an SSD has a massive difference in performance compared to a normal mechanical harddrive, and your operating system is what will give the most noticeable effect from it. Basically the whole computer feels snappier and just generally more responsive, the difference is very noticable but they are not very suitable for large file storage since they are much much more expensive if you look at the size you get (for example you can pretty much get two 1 TB drives for the same price as a 80gb SSD) 

Here's an example of something as simple as booting windows and how large the difference is between the Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD and a  X25-M 160GB SSD (that's a generation older than the one I suggested though, but the point is still the same)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoX2b7VlVPs There are plenty of other clips that show the difference, but specifically what you gain most is load times when starting stuff, especially if you are multitasking with lots of stuff running. 

So in conclusion! Get an SSD harddrive to have your Operating System on and another drive for storage that you don't really need high performance on.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I copied this from wiki, however there are disadvantages besides speed and price. If an 80 gig SSD drive cost the same as a 1TB drive, then each game takes 8 gigs to install, how much memory are you working with? It's not ideal yet for gaming right now, maybe later on when it's cheaper.

Flash-memory cells have limited lifetimes and will often wear out after 1,000 to 10,000 write cycles for MLC, and up to 100,000 write cycles for SLC. Special file systems or firmware designs can mitigate this problem by spreading writes over the entire device, called wear leveling.

As a result of wear leveling and write combining, the performance of SSDs degrades with use.    
    RaidSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RaidSoft

While it is true that they have a limited lifetime, so does mechanical harddrives, they usually start to fail after a few years (varies quite a bit though) and that's about the same lifespan as you can expect from an SSD, depending on what type of user you are. The limitation is write cycles so unless you write large quantities of data very often on your drive then it's very likely to live longer then your mechanical drive and there is a new TRIM thing out for the Intel X25-M G2 drives which pretty much removes the whole performance drop issue.

Some people move their pagefile away from their SSD to save on it's lifespan since the pagefile tend to write a fair amount of data, so if you are paranoid about your drive failing on you then I guess you can do that but it also sorta defeats the purpose of an SSD which is to speed up your computer, and the pagefile does definitely play a role in keeping your computer going fast. 

Here's an interesting article that shows some of the early problems with SSD's (most of which are solved on the Intel X25-M G2 btw) http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=1 and there are other very good articles on SSD's on that page as well so look around a bit there if you are interested :P 

edit: I'll just add this review on the SSD I am recommending:  http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3607

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Most Linux people are disabled journalling on their EXT4/3 Linux partitions when installing it on SSDs.  The reason being that journalling continually saves the state of the partition (user setttings and system folders) while in use.  This leads to extremely shortened lifespans of SSDs.  Windows also uses  the same thing as journalling with the Volume Shadow Copy Service (which is almost always running on Me, XP, Vista and 7)  and is required for a lot of basic Windows services incliuding Windows Update.  Until we move to better technology than flash memory I will not be buying any form of Solid State Drive technology.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kblt
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " SSD's are fun and all but they actually make fuck all difference once the PC is up and running.  Yeah yeah, so your PC boots really quickly from the SSD and yeah yeah, the game that's installed on the SSD loads SO QUICKLY MMMAAANNN.    The truth is that most people just put their Windows and Mac PC's to sleep these days and wake up with a mouse shake or keyboard tap, so it's a rare thing that you actually need to start your PC from a cold boot.  SSD is just a fancy type of flash memory and just like flash it has a limit to how many times it can be written to and read from before it craps up.  That doesn't mean that SSD is inherently bad just that it's not the second coming like people (and Samsung) are making it out to be. "
    The write limit of flash SSDs is pretty high, it'll last on you until you overhaul your PC completely.
    RaidSoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RaidSoft

Every single person I have heard going from a standard 7200 RPM drive to an SSD have said that they feel a very noticeable difference in normal windows use, everything feels much more direct and generally faster, especially when multitasking heavy applications. They also said that going back to a hdd was horrible since everything loaded sooo slowly. (And I'm not just talking about boot times, I'm talking about starting programs in windows for example)

Yes if you only use your computer for writing in word, sending emails and surfing the web it's pretty much useless but then you don't need the kind of computer that this guy is building either now do you? You seem to hate SSD for some odd reason and if the flash memories having short lifespan was such a problem, wouldn't we be seeing people whining everywhere about their SSD's going to crap after a short while? I sure haven't at least and most people will have their SSD's last as long or longer as their mechanical harddrives. Unless they actively try to torture their drive of course...

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I don't hate on SSD, it's just not for me because I don't think the technology is mature enough or cheap enough to justify my purchasing of it.  What people do with their money is entirely their own choice. I'm sorry if my opinion offends you in some strange way. 

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Binman88

I have a very similar machine to what you're building and the exact same case; the Antec 1200 is a good choice. I have a different motherboard, SLi 280s and a 1000W Corsair PSU and the machine runs everything comfortably at max settinngs at 1920x1200. You should have no problem at all getting similar results.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Luke
    @Yukoei: What OS you gunna put on it?  Whatever it is, I hope it's 64-bit so you're not wasting all that RAM.  

Also, only 1 Hard Disk?  Are you going to do network backups to another PC or NAS? 
    Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shadowsquire

Well its already been said but I would also reccomend the Mushkin Reline RAM. And if you're looking at getting a GT300, then you might be waiting for quite a while yet.

Metalhead79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Metalhead79
    @Yukoei: No. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Shadowsquire said:
    " Well its already been said but I would also reccomend the Mushkin Reline RAM. And if you're looking at getting a GT300, then you might be waiting for quite a while yet. "
    That makes two recommendations then.  Sweet

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.