Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Recent Podcast PC inaccuracies.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By TheManiacsGnome

So I was listening to the recent podcast and was a little frightened to hear how little the group knew about the PC version of Call of Duty 4 (Among other things related to the PC) .  The most glaring I felt were that CoD maps on the PC are unpaid and the size of the community, it's a fairly simple mistake but when it's heard from Jeff Gerstmann it just sounds legit (99.9% of the time it is) but in this rare instance he's wrong. 

The Call of Duty maps, from the CoD4 map pack to the WaW one's are all paid for by sponsors intel and Nvidia understand brand loyalty helps and nothing builds brand loyalty like goodwill (I know people who bought Nvidia cards because of the CoD4 map pack.). The second mistake was the size of the PC Call of Duty community, in short it's massive.  But lets look at numbers here,  Xfire lists World of Warcrafts daily users at 62,389 daily players where CoD4 sports 101,000(this is only Xfire and the entire community does not use Xfire.) Game-Monitor lists 200k.

My second gripe about Giant Bomb's PC coverage is just lack of knowledge, if you look at Brads PC build video he mentions the 896mb frame buffer (Memory) several times saying he can't believe how much memory it had. The first issue is that the GTX 260 216 consistently trails the ATI Radeon 4870 and 4890 for more money simple research could have gotten them a faster card for less money! Then looking at 896mbs of memory, it isn't very much anymore. The GTX 295 won't even run most games at 2560*1600 because of the lack of memory, 1gb is the bare minimum for 30 inch monitors. We also have the RE5 PC Quicklook, ignoring how much they wanted to use a controller I noticed that they were running the game at 1280*720, that's 720P! PC's have the ability to run games in real HD! Use it or you've just hamstrung how great some of these multiplats can look on the PC.

I love Giantbomb and I'd like for it to become my one stop shop for video game news, it serves my console needs and I love the podcast but I am honestly beginning to think that Giantbomb needs a PC editor who knows the platform and has a passion for it. Right now it just seems like it gets picked on.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Diamond
    @Maniac said:
    " So I was listening to the recent podcast and was a little frightened to hear how little the group knew about the PC version of Call of Duty 4 (Among other things related to the PC) .  The most glaring I felt were that CoD maps on the PC are unpaid and the size of the community, it's a fairly simple mistake but when it's heard from Jeff Gerstmann it just sounds legit (99.9% of the time it is) but in this rare instance he's wrong.
    Honestly, the GB crew is often wrong about a lot of things, it's not just PC stuff by far.  They were really wrong about PS3 hardware a few episdoes ago, they often get things factually wrong about games on all platforms.  They're not singling out PC for their ignorance.  I still love the guys, and they're hilarious, just don't go to them for all your fact needs. 

@Maniac said:
    The Call of Duty maps, from the CoD4 map pack to the WaW one's are all paid for by sponsors intel and Nvidia understand brand loyalty helps and nothing builds brand loyalty like goodwill (I know people who bought Nvidia cards because of the CoD4 map pack.).
    Yep, I picked up on that one, and like usual I didn't say anything.

@Maniac said:
    The second mistake was the size of the PC Call of Duty community, in short it's massive.  But lets look at numbers here,  Xfire lists World of Warcrafts daily users at 62,389 daily players where CoD4 sports 101,000(this is only Xfire and the entire community does not use Xfire.) Game-Monitor lists 200k.
    This is more of a case of how much bigger the 360 community is.  100K's of players is big, but the 360 community has over 10 million COD4 players.  PS3 community is something like 5-7 million, but you see how even that gets treated as they talked about the 360 themed MW2 demo.

@Maniac said:
    My second gripe about Giant Bomb's PC coverage is just lack of knowledge, if you look at Brads PC build video he mentions the 896mb frame buffer (Memory) several times saying he can't believe how much memory it had. The first issue is that the GTX 260 216 consistently trails the ATI Radeon 4870 and 4890 for more money simple research could have gotten them a faster card for less money!
    The GTX 260 216 leads the 4870 most of the time, only the 4890 is really better.  Personally I went with the 260 core 216 too, I don't like ATI/AMD products very much anyways.

@Maniac said:
    Then looking at 896mbs of memory, it isn't very much anymore. The GTX 295 won't even run most games at 2560*1600 because of the lack of memory, 1gb is the bare minimum for 30 inch monitors.
    896MB might not be that much memory for a videocard that's sold today, but no game still uses more than 512MB.  In that way anywhere around 1GB is a ton!  I don't know where you heard a GTX295 won't run at 2560x1600 because of the memory, the frame buffer is only going to be like 50 or 60MB for that.  Probably just a general performance loss because of the resolution.

@Maniac said:
    We also have the RE5 PC Quicklook, ignoring how much they wanted to use a controller I noticed that they were running the game at 1280*720, that's 720P! PC's have the ability to run games in real HD!
    They explained the resolution of 720p many times, that's what their capture card can capture.  720p is real HD.  You complain about other people being ignorant, but you're being ignorant yourself.
    Carlozz34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Carlozz34

The lack of PC content is the biggest problem i have with Giantbomb, and i hope they'll expand on this in the future. Pretty much everyone i know (that plays games) are heavily into PC games, and no matter what everyone says, the fact remains that the PC is still going strong. Giantbomb would be so much better if us PC gamers wouldn't feel alienated

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By oDawg

GTX 260 core 216 was cheaper than a 4870 when I bought it. From most benchmarks I see it is faster too? But better linux drivers is why I went nvidia!  

Nothin wrong with using a controller on a PC either! 

But if your point is for more PC coverage/awareness, then cool. 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Fallen189

I'm with you.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Jayzilla

I agree with the OP on the front that GB needs a dedicated PC editor. None of us uses our console to use GB. I would assume that many of us using our PC's have pretty decent rigs when it comes to gaming. The numbers may not be there monetarily for the GB staff to see, but it still doesn't change the fact that it would be great to have a strong PC presence from the officials of the G to the B.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn
    @Carlozz34 said:

"The lack of PC content is the biggest problem i have with Giantbomb, and i hope they'll expand on this in the future. Pretty much everyone i know (that plays games) are heavily into PC games, and no matter what everyone says, the fact remains that the PC is still going strong. Giantbomb would be so much better if us PC gamers wouldn't feel alienated "

If Dave gets less busy, we will have a ton of PC coverage. And as a PC gamer, i dont feel alienated, but it is annoying when they review Halo or something, say it is awesome, and then i cant play it. 

But, im with you on this , at least their inaccuracies give their podcasts some character.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jimbo

I know they publish the most popular games on XBL, but do they publish player numbers or just the order?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Scooper

I pretty much agree.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#10  Edited By Valkyr

PC should be covered between Dave, Drew and Vinny (which is the only one that uses his pc to play games from time to time)

Avatar image for theineffablebob
    TheIneffableBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By TheIneffableBob
    @Diamond said:  
    @Maniac said:
    The second mistake was the size of the PC Call of Duty community, in short it's massive.  But lets look at numbers here,  Xfire lists World of Warcrafts daily users at 62,389 daily players where CoD4 sports 101,000(this is only Xfire and the entire community does not use Xfire.) Game-Monitor lists 200k.
    This is more of a case of how much bigger the 360 community is.  100K's of players is big, but the 360 community has over 10 million COD4 players.  PS3 community is something like 5-7 million, but you see how even that gets treated as they talked about the 360 themed MW2 demo.

That hundreds of thousands number for the PC is how many people played it in the last 24 hours. The 360 number you mentioned is how many people played in the game's entire lifetime. Players at any given time would likely be around 1 million -- the same as Counter-Strike 1.6.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond
    @TheIneffableBob said:

That hundreds of thousands number for the PC is how many people played it in the last 24 hours. The 360 number you mentioned is how many people played in the game's entire lifetime. Players at any given time would likely be around 1 million -- the same as Counter-Strike 1.6.

The 360 players at any one given time in COD4 or WaW is like 100K-300K, PC players are about 10K-30K, based on the best measures we have.  There's not nearly as many people playing CS (even counting CSS) on PC at any one time as you think, Steam's tracking has both games' current populations under 100K individually.

edit - oh yea, and those CS and CSS numbers from Steam count bots, so the real numbers are probably significantly less.
    DeepVoiceMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DeepVoiceMan
    @TheIneffableBob said:
    " @Diamond said:  
    @Maniac said:

That hundreds of thousands number for the PC is how many people played it in the last 24 hours. The 360 number you mentioned is how many people played in the game's entire lifetime. Players at any given time would likely be around 1 million -- the same as Counter-Strike 1.6. "
    lol a million on at once? maybe on launch night, but its usually between 100k-300k.  I seen Halo 3 over a million once when it first came out, never COD4, and its probably around 1 million unique users per day.  (xbox that is)
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jimbo

~7 million copies of CoD4 sold on 360.  A fraction of those will still be used regularly online.  A fraction of those will be online at any given time.

Diamond, where are you getting your COD4 360 (100-300k) and PC (10k-30k) numbers from?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By trophyhunter

well most people don't give a shit about PC crap.
    buy a console already

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Diamond
    @Jimbo said:

" ~7 million copies of CoD4 sold on 360.

This article on IW's site says unique 360 players is over 10 million

@Jimbo

said:

Diamond, where are you getting your COD4 360 (100-300k) and PC (10k-30k) numbers from?

In game on the 360, various server tracking sites for PC.  The sales of WaW were known to be about 28 times higher on 360 than PC (but I can't find that article right now), but I think COD4 did better.  Furthermore, at one point IW complained that 50% of the people playing the PC version online had pirated the game, so as long as we're talking raw player numbers it makes sense compared to the sales data.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jimbo
    @trophyhunter said:
    " well most people don't give a shit about PC crap. buy a console already "
    PC is still the single largest gaming platform in terms of revenue and 'install base', so who are these most people?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Diamond
    @Jimbo said:
    PC is still the single largest gaming platform in terms of revenue and 'install base', so who are these most people?
    That's actually not true.  It's just the PC Gaming Alliance that spreads that particular crap.

PC gaming isn't tiny, but it's not the biggest by far.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Jimbo said:

" @trophyhunter said:

PC is still the single largest gaming platform in terms of revenue and 'install base', so who are these most people? "
    well 99% of that revenue is world of warcraft and just no shit everyone has a computer.
    but I don't know anyone that really plays real games on there computer and no one that I know, knows anyone that does that either.
    that's what I hate you PC fanboys your all elitist pricks.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By asurastrike

I honestly wouldn't care if they never mentioned a PC game again on the site.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Asurastrike said:
    " I honestly wouldn't care if they never mentioned a PC game again on the site. "
    right on
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jimbo

Edit:  In reply to Diamond, rather than the flailing in between.

I doubt it.  All the MMOs in the world add up to a shit ton of revenue.  Keep in mind that the <any single console> market is particularly strong in North America compared to large parts of the rest of the world.  Most English speaking games coverage sites are naturally geared towards the US market and console gaming also has most of the marketing money - I think the perceived lack of popularity in PC gaming is largely a symptom of that, rather than actually being true.  In fact I'd be pretty surprised if there is another single platform which could top PC gaming for revenue by the time you take into account digital distribution, game sales and MMO subs.  If you have a source which says otherwise I'd be happy to see it.

^^ That's unique players, not unique copies of the game.  IW now say 13m unique players as of May 09, Acti say 13m sales in total as of May 09.  Chalk the difference up to second hand sales I guess.

As you rightly point out, PC sales and PC players are not the same thing, not by a long shot.  I agree that if you exclude pirated copies then the 360 wins easily.  If you include them then I imagine the total number of people that have played and still play the 360 and PC versions worldwide are pretty similar.  It's pretty much impossible to come up with total active PC numbers due to the nature of pc gaming, so I guess we can't know for sure.

I can't even remember the context in which this discussion came up during the podcast, so I will say that CoD 4 is plenty popular on the PC, but how many actually paid for it I couldn't say.

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Amilmitt
    @trophyhunter: not all people who play games on their pc are elitest pricks
    you yourself are sounding like one of those people woh only got a console because it was cool at the time.
    i personally still play all my systems.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By AndrewB

Yup. They're PC idiots. So just don't take their advice. This site, as a whole, is for a somewhat niche arena of gaming. There are many genres of games and platforms that Giant Bomb doesn't cover. That just means if you're looking for something in particular, you may have to rely on other sites.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187

In comparison to the 360 or PS3, the number of players on PC is not NEARLY as high.  I'm a PC player for CoD4, and I can guarantee that the 360 has far more people playing it than PC does.  Then again, there's no consistent way to be able to test that, but seriously, CoD4 and W@W get WAY more users on the consoles than the PC. 

Also, you may have missed what Jeff was saying with Modern Warfare 2.  Specifically, those exact words are sitting in my PM inbox from when he and I were talking right after that MW2 stuff went up on the site.  I asked him directly if he knew anything about prestige in MW2, and he told me "they aren't saying much about the PC version".  He then went on to say "I think this will be the time when they'll figure a lot of stuff out, like persistent online stat tracking and even how to make PC users pay for map packs".  Therefore, Jeff was basically just saying "they aren't saying shit about the PC version, but if I had to put money on something, this is what I figure".  To be honest, he's kinda right about that.  I mean, there's no reason why IW wouldn't try to use some form of persistent account like what BF2142 featured.  It would also be its own form of DRM, as you would HAVE to have an account in order to play the game AT ALL on PC.  Personally, I would be fine with that.  You wanna play the game at all on PC?  You HAVE to buy a copy.  I'm sure people will get it pirated, but this should put a serious halt in it. 

That's all speculative of course, and you are trying to call people out on their own speculations.  They didn't have community numbers in front of them, but it's been stated in numerous places numerous times since CoD4's release that the console community was larger than the PC community for it.  Same with W@W.  It will probably be the same for MW2.  It happens. 

As for the thing about Brad's PC building video...dood, that was a joke.  Don't take anything in the video seriously.  

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pause422
    @trophyhunter said:
    You're incredibly stupid.
    nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By nrain

I hate playing games on my PC, but since this is a gaming website I think that there should be a PC presence here and to be honest there is. They just bought a big rig and played games on it, what more do you want an Aion QL?

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By McPaper

This is an interesting topic, my friend mentioned largely that GiantBomb covered mostly about console games and lacked PC coverage. This is something I can agree with to an extent. As team members go I find that Dave is the only one who shows that PC presence on the site. 

To be fair however, I can't really think of something worth reporting about, Im sure when there is a notable PC release it will be touched upon. With their new computer (regardless of possible flaws in its build) this can only suggest that they plan to cover more on the PC side.

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oDawg
    @Jimbo said:
    "
     I can't even remember the context in which this discussion came up during the podcast, so I will say that CoD 4 is plenty popular on the PC, but how many actually paid for it I couldn't say. "
    its also way better on the pc which is the big point. :)
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fallen189
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Jimbo said:

" @trophyhunter said:

PC is still the single largest gaming platform in terms of revenue and 'install base', so who are these most people? "
    well 99% of that revenue is world of warcraft and just no shit everyone has a computer. but I don't know anyone that really plays real games on there computer and no one that I know, knows anyone that does that either. that's what I hate you PC fanboys your all elitist pricks. "
    You make me feel genuinely sad about this website.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scooper

Put in COD2 in your PC and see how many people are still playing that, last time I checked there was still a large userbase of people playing that game every day. COD4 on PC is lagging behind consoles right now but give it 3 years and you won't be able to find a handfull of servers on the 360 or PS3 for COD4 but I'll garantee plenty of people will be playing it still regulary on the PC.

Besides... a keyboard and mouse are the only way to play multiplayer FPSs really... I've tried using a console controller but it's not the same and it never will be. The joystick is just a clumsy tool compared to the lightning-quick pinpoint accuracy of a mouse.

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By noextralife

If you check the pc section under reviews theres been quite alot of pc coverage on GB in terms of reviews, alot more than I expected when the site launched, but look at is this way, apart from afew mmo releases there really hasn't been many stand out pc only releases in awhile, alot of the review content on the site over the past 6 months has been multi-format and it makes more sense to review the console versions and check in on the pc release if its a big enough game (eg SF4) im sure when we start getting alot more high profile pc only releases over the next year we'll see alot more pc coverage on GB.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Red

Meh. The duders can't know everything.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jimbo
    @Diamond: Thanks for the lengthy PM, Diamond.  We will have to agree to disagree for now.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By TheHBK

Sometimes the guys do surprise me with how many times they forget some video game facts, you know just stuff that most gamers would know off the top of their head like when systems came out.  Seriously, they get those wrong all the time.  Or when a certain game came out, that they have and played.  I forget too but if I think a little it comes to me. 
    As for the PC stuff, well these guys dont play too many games on PC, since they play the ones sent to them.  And even though the maps for COD4 are still paid for by other companies, they are free, and Activision knows that they could probably make more money by making the gamers pay instead of the advertisers.  Or both.  who knows. 
    Also this has to do with PC coverage.  Really, what PC games are worth reporting on that are not also on consoles at the moment.  You see them talking about Track Mania.  The Old Republic has received news coverage and so have Starcraft II, Diablo III and WOW.  It really is just the games more people will care about because I dont see any others on the horizon.
    Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bane
    @Maniac said:
    " [...] I love Giantbomb and I'd like for it to become my one stop shop for video game news, it serves my console needs and I love the podcast but I am honestly beginning to think that Giantbomb needs a PC editor who knows the platform and has a passion for it. Right now it just seems like it gets picked on. "

I agree totally.  I've been surprised by GB's apparent mindset when it comes to PC gaming.   Some examples:

Brad Builds a PC video: "We finally admitted to ourselves that the PC is still a platform that is worth covering."  I... I don't know what to think about that statement.  It kinda blows my mind.  Was that a joke or were you serious?

Resident Evil 5 on PC Quick Look: just watch it.  Way too much time spent on talking about the 360 controller, not knowing what all the settings mean, playing at 720p?!  Embarrassing.
    rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rateoforange

I don't know if the staff needs a dedicated PC guy, but Snide seems to have been a PC gamer. On the last podcast he was talking up Freespace 2 and Baldur's Gate.

Anyway, snide, REPRESENT!

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @trophyhunter:

I haven't found any elitism in this thread. Take a chill pill.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By trophyhunter
    well I was just saying that's what 90% of PC fanboys act like 
    they are the smallest group so they have to be the loudest
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trophyhunter said:
    Sftu, you say there elitist pricks when your blowing them off like shit, I think Giantbomb would do good to have a dedicated PC reviewer.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trophyhunter said:
    " well I was just saying that's what 90% of PC fanboys act like  they are the smallest group so they have to be the loudest "
    We are the smallest group here, by a long, very long shot. So yes, we totally need to be more vocal.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Driadon
    @SpikeSpiegel:  I have, just read TrophyHunter's posts. 

I don't have too much problem with the lack of PC knowledge that the main duders have, most of the time when they make a mistake it just makes me laugh. That said, I really appreciate Dave's PC knowledge and how that is (very slowly) flowing over to Vinnie. I also like how they have gotten Dave to do some reviews for them so they can keep the PC side of things covered. 
     As for the podcast, sometimes it's a little sad that they don't remember some common knowledge bits, especially with PC games but other times they surprise me such as their remembering Majestic from this weeks Bombcast.
    Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By Radar

The Bombcast crew is wrong about a LOT of stuff.  Not knowing is fine, but when they talk about stuff like they have pages upon pages of factual info in front of them... it kinda bothers me.

Like when they're talking about MMOs/Warcraft... it's almost cringe worthy on how little they know.

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fynne

While everyone has a PC, much fewer have "gaming" PCs.  Developers have known this for a long time and the lure of cash on the console side means that most games are made for consoles.  That's why you're not seeing much coverage on PC games.  There aren't many new PC games and a lot of what's new came out on the console first.  That being the case, it's not surprising that their PC knowledge has atrophied.

Weatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Weatherman
    @trophyhunter said:

" @Jimbo said:

" @trophyhunter said:

well 99% of that revenue is world of warcraft and just no shit everyone has a computer. but I don't know anyone that really plays real games on there computer and no one that I know, knows anyone that does that either. that's what I hate you PC fanboys your all elitist pricks. "
    Could you clarify what you consider "real games" ?  ? ;/
    And I don't know where you're getting this "99% of that revenue is world of warcraft " stuff ,but I don't think you're right on that one. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.