Recommend a Heatsink/Fan!?!?!?!

#1 Posted by RawknRo11a (567 posts) -

OK, so I recently built a new PC and I'm pretty happy with it other than the fan/heatsink that came with my processor.

My Processor is an AMD Phenom II Black Edition (AM3 Socket)

I've been looking at Fan/Heatsinks and would like some recommendations from you Duders. Preferably one that doesnt require removing the motherboard from the case UNLESS enough people think that its worth it. Lastly Im looking for one that will be MAJORLY QUIET!

Anyways, thanks in advance Duders!

#2 Posted by moonpix (81 posts) -

the Hyper 212 is generally very well regarded... if noise is that much of an issue then you can replace the fan with something quieter

#3 Posted by RawknRo11a (567 posts) -

@moonpix: yea I had looked at that one. Supposed to be pretty good other than having to remove the motherboard to install

another I've looked at which also requires removing the motherboard is the Zalman CNPS9900 MAX-B

anyone else have any suggestions?

#4 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

I got a corsair h60 purely because I move my PC a lot and I didn't want a heavy heat sink hanging off my motherboard. It performs pretty well, but it's a little pricier.

#5 Edited by Strife777 (1605 posts) -

The Hyper 212 was re-designed fairly recently. That one is a bit better because of the heat pipes being in direct contact. It's a bit more expensive, but I think it's worth it. They're very popular.

I also heard that Noctua is probably the best heatsink you can buy, but it costs kind of a lot.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried any of those. Simply speaking from what I've read/heard.

#6 Posted by Patman99 (1610 posts) -

@Skytylz said:

I got a corsair h60 purely because I move my PC a lot and I didn't want a heavy heat sink hanging off my motherboard. It performs pretty well, but it's a little pricier.

This. I have the h70 and it works great.

#7 Posted by llamaegg (228 posts) -

Maybe it's because I've only ever owned a single 3rd party heatsink, and have otherwise watercooled, but is their any that don't require access to the back of the mobo? I honestly can't think of any!

And yes, while the Noctua has some of the ugliest fans ever, they got their shit together.

#8 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@moonpix said:

the Hyper 212 is generally very well regarded... if noise is that much of an issue then you can replace the fan with something quieter

I got one of these recently and I'm very happy with it.

All performance fans require a backplate. The default pins on mobos (Intel ones at least) are USELESS. That said, the 212 is particularly difficult to attach. It moves about while your attaching it to the plate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.