Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Recovery disc question.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By agentboolen

Just bought a alienware alpha. Tried to use there software to make a recovery usb flash drive, it finished but at the end it gave me an error! Using the most recent version of AlienRespawn it, it's there software.

Decided to forget it and install and played a few games from steam. Now I'm wanting to give it another shot at making the recovery disc, but is it too late? Did I interfere on how good the recovery disc will be?

Also is the recovery disc the disc I'd use to reinstall the OS if I decided to replace the small 500gb hard drive?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@agentboolen: Hmm, I would be wary of using the software that comes with a computer to make a recovery disc, unless there's something really critical built into the OS. I'd go with the recovery disc/flash drive options of the OS itself - presumably Windows 10? If there's anything that's missing from the recovery drive you should be able to find that software on Alienware's site, I would imagine, although it's been a while since I've investigated what they're offering. Did it come preloaded with games or anything?

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By agentboolen

@rorie: it comes with a custom user interface that runs off kodi, called hivemind. It also has steam and origin already with it.

With the custom interface I'm afraid using just Windows backup program would keep it from being installed in the future the way the machine is meant to be with the ui.

I've never really used a recovery disc so I'm not exactly sure what to expect and if I harmed the creation process with installing software.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By agentboolen

@mike: they want $20 for that disc! They use to give those disc with computers for free. I ended up just hooking up a dvd burner to the Alpha and just burnt the recovery disc. I still really don't know if using the computer alters the recovery data. Or is that data on another partition?

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcorb: my mistake your correct, I was looking at the os download section.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.