Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Seeking All AMD info here

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By VACkillers

Does anyone have any news or links to post as to when the new 8 series Radeon Cards will be released? there was a lot of talk they would be released this year, but I'm finding it difficult to find any real info on them really.......

2nd thing I'm looking for any info anybody can supply, is on the new AMD CPUs which were supposed to be already released but cannot find a single one of them on any websites, which are supposed to have a stock clock @5.0Ghz and is supposed to be AMD's competitor to the Intel i7 6-core chip costing around 800$. Thats all the info I've been able to muster up so far on it...

Thanks for any replies guys........

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just from recent experience, dealing with HP and AMD, we've had about a 30% return rate on defective CPUs coming from the factory with failures within 2 weeks of use. The majority of them are A8s and A10s. The fault is either with HP not doing burn-in testing, or those chips stink. That said, I haven't worked with or built a PC with any of the newer FX CPUs. I think the last time I ran into a defective Intel CPU was back in the 386/486 days.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By OurSin_360

Looks like rumors for now. The site has them basically as rebranded 7000 cards for OEM and not sold at retail. hd8000

@sqrabbit said:

Just from recent experience, dealing with HP and AMD, we've had about a 30% return rate on defective CPUs coming from the factory with failures within 2 weeks of use. The majority of them are A8s and A10s. The fault is either with HP not doing burn-in testing, or those chips stink. That said, I haven't worked with or built a PC with any of the newer FX CPUs. I think the last time I ran into a defective Intel CPU was back in the 386/486 days.

Those are Apu's though right? And HP has always sucked, I've used a phenom 2 and a new fx-8350 and both run fine.

I have not tried an APU though, but the other amd processors i've used are great.

Also AMD chips have a lower threshold for heat I believe, and also can run hotter since they use more power. Could be the heatsinks not doing their job

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

Been running AMD processors for a few years now. currently running a phenom II 965 quad core OC to 3.7 Ghz with 2 HD 7770's in crossfire mode. no problems with CPU at all. idles in the high 30's C and gets up to mid 50's C under load with a stock cooler. With the video, aside from a game specific crash due to the crossfire setup (witcher 2) and some hiccups getting the driver loaded right when i added the 2nd card, everything's been great.

Before that i had an athlon 2 x2 250 which also ran pretty solid.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By VACkillers

I've also been using AMD for the better part of 7 years now and have never had a single CPU fail yet from from an AMD X2 4200 to an Phenom II X3 710 to a Phenom II x6 1090XT though my first Intel CPU Pentium 4 failed after 2 days I got it had to get a tech guy to come in to replace and fix it at the time. Had some bad experiences when it comes to Radeon cards though and always due to some really shoddy driver support. I'd like to know when the new AMD CPUs are due out or what their capable of because at a 800$ price tag they obviously feel they have something that can finally compete with the extreme edition i7s. Looks like September release for the new 8 series cards....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.