Shall I Build a new PC?

#1 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -

I have...
Quad Core 2.33 processor
2gb ram
9800gtx

Hows that stand in todays standards? Is it time to build a new pc?

#2 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

It's always time to build/buy a new pc.

#3 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

I'd say so. Quad core is mid end, graphics card is low end, and the RAM simply isn't enough. 

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" It's always time to build/buy a new pc. "
hahaha so sad yet so true !
#5 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Yes.  CPUs and GPUs have reached a lot further in terms dollars to performance value in the last year.  The 560Ti or 460GTX compared to your 9800GTX would easily be double the performance in most titles for around $200 US.  Also, DX11 is becoming more standard in many games and there's a few outstanding titles hitting this year which will not run particularly well on your current rig.

#6 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I had that videocard, it's not good enough for todays games, unless you don't mind getting alot of slow downs. Cpu is kind of slow clock core wise and isn't that great. You need more ram. 

One solution is get a better cpu, or overclock it getting a new cpu heatsink, get another 2 gigs of ram, then overclock your videocard. Or simply rebuild.

Edit: since you already at least have a quad core, you could just get a better videocard, although you will be bottlenecked by the clock core, it's cheaper that way than to rebuild.

#7 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -

Okay, thanks guys, i'll start building one in the next few months. I did buy that about two years ago. It did have 4gb ram originally but a 2gb stick was corrupt.

I will deffo do it then. Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty Clueless on the new tech (graphics cards and processors :-s so any tips, advice or links would be a great help.

#8 Edited by Marz (5658 posts) -

yah 2.3ghz quad these days is kinda showing it's age, it's good for multi-threaded applications but games still run better with a higher clock speed, even a dual core clocked higher probably will run some games better than a slower quad.   3ghz quad is a good baseline to start with for your next gaming cpu upgrade.   

#9 Posted by timay (190 posts) -

Is the cpu amd or intel? Amd has an easier upgrade path that most likely would not involve you getting a new mobo. Rma that dead stick of ram, most come with lifetime warranties.

#10 Edited by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -
Yep, do it, do it now.

Start by taking a look at your finance, how much can you afford, then find more money, sell a non-essential organ if you must and once you know how much you have give it to me. (Sarcasm)

When you know how much you want to spend you can start planning what to buy. Generally I would say if you have less than around $800/£800 you should be looking at an AMD system if you have more it opens up the possibility of an Intel based system, but your budget will be the your main constraint here.

@timay:I'm not sure if the AMD upgrade path is as straight forward as it has been, AM2 to AM2+ was quite easy as AM2 CPUs worked in AM2+ mobos and AM3 CPUs worked in AM2+ mobos up to a point, depending on the mobo. However it looked like the AM3+ mobos will not accept AM3 CPUs so Bulldozer based CPUs will have a new socket that won't accept older CPUs, which is a necessary step if AMD are to reduce bottlenecking CPUs just for the sake of backward compatibility.
#11 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" It's always time to build/buy a new pc. "
#12 Posted by RVonE (4660 posts) -

Yes you shall.
#13 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -

I have a Intel build. But I think I need a new motherboard as it is. I just dont know where to start.

Quad 3ghz? Wouldn't a i5 or i7 be better (newer) or do i not know what im talking about? Lol

#14 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -

If you can afford it get a 6 core i7.

#15 Edited by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@TheKeyboardDemon: Seems a little overkill, but I guess that depends on the guys funds. Or are all i7 processors 6 core and I'm just stupid?
#16 Edited by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -
@Azteck: No I think most are 4 core, but 6 cores with hypert hreading gives you 12 logical processors. I was thinking of something like the i7 980X  Extreme Edittion (3.33ghz) if the budget allows and a Rampage mobo with 6gb or 12gb ram in tripple channel, hell if you're really wealthy you could stick 4 GTX580s in SLi with some overclocking that might reach quite high up the benchmark results for 3dMark 11, and cost enough to feed a small city.

But we are partly talking wishful thinking here.
#17 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -
@TheKeyboardDemon: Woah, a 6 core i7 is £790 lol, budget is quite high but I wouldn't say that high. Now thats a lot, this is my first build i'm actually doing myself. I think i'll just get a 3.33 4 core i5 thats £165 and I think will do the job.

My friend suggested a GeForce GTS 430 730mhz 1GB, is this the best? or is an ATI one better?
#18 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@Hooded said:
" @TheKeyboardDemon: Woah, a 6 core i7 is £790 lol, budget is quite high but I wouldn't say that high. Now thats a lot, this is my first build i'm actually doing myself. I think i'll just get a 3.33 4 core i5 thats £165 and I think will do the job. My friend suggested a GeForce GTS 430 730mhz 1GB, is this the best? or is an ATI one better? "
That's a dual core, Get this quad core it uses the same motherboard type  http://www.ebuyer.com/product/229999 and it is better.
#19 Posted by BeachThunder (12087 posts) -
@Hooded said:
"My friend suggested a GeForce GTS 430 730mhz 1GB, is this the best? or is an ATI one better? "
430 definitely isn't your best bet; if your budget is fairly high, then you shouldn't be getting anything lower than a gtx 460 1gb. Perhaps go for a 560 if you can.
#20 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1671 posts) -

always be building a new pc! ... the cpu seems fine to me. But you might need more ram and a update for the gpu.

#21 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -
@PeasForFees said:

" @Hooded said:

" @TheKeyboardDemon: Woah, a 6 core i7 is £790 lol, budget is quite high but I wouldn't say that high. Now thats a lot, this is my first build i'm actually doing myself. I think i'll just get a 3.33 4 core i5 thats £165 and I think will do the job. My friend suggested a GeForce GTS 430 730mhz 1GB, is this the best? or is an ATI one better? "
That's a dual core, Get this quad core it uses the same motherboard type   http://www.ebuyer.com/product/229999 and it is better. "
Oh right, thanks. Would that quad core you posted work with this mobo? 
http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-sabertooth-x58-tuf-lga1366-ddr3-atx--usb3--sata-6gb-s--7657.html 
#22 Edited by Hooded (435 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:

" @Hooded said:

"My friend suggested a GeForce GTS 430 730mhz 1GB, is this the best? or is an ATI one better? "

430 definitely isn't your best bet; if your budget is fairly high, then you shouldn't be getting anything lower than a gtx 460 1gb. Perhaps go for a 560 if you can. "
I'm after the best gfx card really, so a 560 is the best one?

Edit: say something like this? 
http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-560ti-900mhz-1gb-pci-express-hdmi-overclocked-7B29.html?refs=54590000
 I don't really want to spend more than £200 on a graphics card.
#23 Posted by BeachThunder (12087 posts) -
@Hooded said:
" @BeachThunder said:

" @Hooded said:

430 definitely isn't your best bet; if your budget is fairly high, then you shouldn't be getting anything lower than a gtx 460 1gb. Perhaps go for a 560 if you can. "
I'm after the best gfx card really, so a 560 is the best one?

Edit: say something like this? 
http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-560ti-900mhz-1gb-pci-express-hdmi-overclocked-7B29.html?refs=54590000
 I don't really want to spend more than £200 on a graphics card. "
Yes, I believe that would be a good card for you to get. If you start going up to gtx 570 or gtx 580, then you're going to be paying quite a bit more.
#24 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -
@BeachThunder: Awesome :-D thanks for your help :)
#25 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -
@Hooded said:
" @TheKeyboardDemon: Woah, a 6 core i7 is £790 lol, budget is quite high but I wouldn't say that high."
I did say it was wishful thinking, I very much doubt when you decided you wanted something better that your were thinking an extra 1 or 2 fps with slightly better quality settings, most likely you wanted maxed settings at a solid 60-80fps on average and 1920x1200 screen resolution or maybe even 5660x1200 across 3 x 24" screens, lol. (or at least that's what I would wish for! )

On a more serious note:
@PeasForFees: The i5 is a good call, it's cheaper here though. Also the GTX560 is only marginally more expensive than the GTX460, even looking at the cheapest of models there is only about £30 difference between them.

GTS430 is not really a gaming card, it's more of a multimedia/home theatre PC graphics card, great for watching movies at 1080p, but it will let you down with Metro 2033 etc...
#26 Edited by Mirado (1011 posts) -

It is NOT a good time to build a new PC. Sandy Bridge just released and is being recalled, and it'll take a few months before new boards get in the channel. (There's a great article over at Tested on the whole fiasco). You don't want to spend a cent on LGA 1366/1156 boards as those are a dead end now, with no possible upgrades in the future. Also, Sandy Bridge kicks the shit out of them, with a $300 2600k beating that $1000 980X in some benchmarks.

Sit on it for a bit, save up some cash, THEN build once SB is back in the game. Then join the Tested folding team! :D

#27 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -

Keep it, that can play any game out today on decent settings.

#28 Edited by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -
@mirado:  I think this really depends on time scales, SB is nearly available now and this means that Intel are already working on an SB replacement which will have a different socket type. A good i7/i5 system built today would easily keep you happy for the next 3 years at least, though if you can wait I also think you should wait.
#29 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

4gb of ram
560ti
fastest clock speed CPU you can get; # cores > 2 much less important

All the batching for the GPU happens in 1 thread so it's all about the clockspeed for that thread.  Get a higher clock speed over a CPU with more cores.  Really anything over 4 is pointless.  I haven't seen a game that saturates more than 3 threads.

Also Sandy Bridge has built-in hardware DRM "features".  Just a public service announcement.  Take that into consideration if you don't want to deal with many annoying problems similar to those people had with HDMI device compatibility - only now all that crap moved deep down into the guts of your mobo.

#30 Posted by amir90 (2164 posts) -

If you play on 720P with medium settings, then no, if you want more and have money, then sure.
I myself bought a pre-built one, costed me almsot 200 dollars extra, but I didn't have any experience building a computer, and I am not the most patient person as well.

Good luck!

#31 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -
@tourgen said:
" 4gb of ram 560ti fastest clock speed CPU you can get; # cores > 2 much less important  All the batching for the GPU happens in 1 thread so it's all about the clockspeed for that thread.  Get a higher clock speed over a CPU with more cores.  Really anything over 4 is pointless.  I haven't seen a game that saturates more than 3 threads.  Also Sandy Bridge has built-in hardware DRM "features".  Just a public service announcement.  Take that into consideration if you don't want to deal with many annoying problems similar to those people had with HDMI device compatibility - only now all that crap moved deep down into the guts of your mobo. "
So get a dual core 3.33ghz 4mb i5? rather than a quad core 2.8ghz 8mb i5? Why? I thought a quad core would be faster? 2.8 x 4 is more than 3.33 x 2
#32 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -
@amir90 said:
" If you play on 720P with medium settings, then no, if you want more and have money, then sure. I myself bought a pre-built one, costed me almsot 200 dollars extra, but I didn't have any experience building a computer, and I am not the most patient person as well.  Good luck! "
I don't have any experience but i've seen Tested's videos and I think I will be able to do it. I have someone helping me too :) I do have the money to upgrade and I think its time. I'm willing to spend about £1000 ($1200 or abouts)
#33 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

Wait for them to get the Sandybridge stuff figured out, the i5 2500k is what I'm gonna build with in a few months.  

#34 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -
@Hooded said:
" @tourgen said:
" 4gb of ram 560ti fastest clock speed CPU you can get; # cores > 2 much less important  All the batching for the GPU happens in 1 thread so it's all about the clockspeed for that thread.  Get a higher clock speed over a CPU with more cores.  Really anything over 4 is pointless.  I haven't seen a game that saturates more than 3 threads.  Also Sandy Bridge has built-in hardware DRM "features".  Just a public service announcement.  Take that into consideration if you don't want to deal with many annoying problems similar to those people had with HDMI device compatibility - only now all that crap moved deep down into the guts of your mobo. "
So get a dual core 3.33ghz 4mb i5? rather than a quad core 2.8ghz 8mb i5? Why? I thought a quad core would be faster? 2.8 x 4 is more than 3.33 x 2 "
yeah in general you're right, of course.  But games only make use of 2 cores max usually.  One to marshal up the gfx batches and the other to do everything else.  2 cores of a quad core are just sitting there idle.
#35 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -
@tourgen said:
yeah in general you're right, of course.  But games only make use of 2 cores max usually.  One to marshal up the gfx batches and the other to do everything else.  2 cores of a quad core are just sitting there idle. "
I'd like to see some benchmarks that demonstrate that as I have always been led to believe that 4 cores will out perform 2 or 3 in games, but that there's no real gain to go from 4 to 6.
#36 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

This thread is going to be hilarious in a couple of months/years.
#37 Edited by MonetaryDread (2070 posts) -

I think it is time to build a new PC, yet you mentioned that it will be a couple of months. My opinion is that you shouldn't really be thinking too much about it until you actually have the money. I have built PC's piece by piece before and the market fluctuates too much for it to be worthwhile to do more than scope things out in a casual manner. Hell, in 8 months we have seen an entire generation of video cards come and go , SSD's have dropped from $4 per gig to $2, and a major CPU launch then recall. 

Personally, I think it a few months from now is the right time to upgrade your system, according to Tomshardware your processor (if its a core 2 quad q8200) is awful when it comes to overclocking. Check out this article for CPU's

Instead of buying a 560ti you should spend the extra $100 and get two 460's (i don't know about in Europe, but in Canada the 460 goes for about $160). It might be a little frivolous but I highly recommend picking up an SSD. I picked one up at Christmas and it is almost unbelievable how much more usable my computer became. Just the new hard drive made my computer feel as snappy as the time I went from a P2 333 to a P4 3ghz.
#38 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -
@TheKeyboardDemon said:
" @tourgen said:
yeah in general you're right, of course.  But games only make use of 2 cores max usually.  One to marshal up the gfx batches and the other to do everything else.  2 cores of a quad core are just sitting there idle. "
I'd like to see some benchmarks that demonstrate that as I have always been led to believe that 4 cores will out perform 2 or 3 in games, but that there's no real gain to go from 4 to 6. "
You could be right on the newer games at least.  Maybe they are building games now with 3-4 fully saturated threads.  You could check yourself with Process Explorer - hit the checkbox to show 1 graph per core and watch it while a game runs, or alt-tab back to it after the game has run for awhile (past loading screens and whatnot).  I looked at some games a few years ago and found a lot that were still single-threaded but some that were starting to use 2 cores pretty consistently.  pretty nice program too in that it can show you all threads a program spawns and all DLLs it's loaded into memory.
#39 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -
@tourgen: Thanks. I'll try that out, I have a feeling that TDU2 might only be using 1 or 2 cores while games like GTAIV will make more use of all cores. Stay tuned for an update.
#40 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -
@TheKeyboardDemon said:
" @tourgen: Thanks. I'll try that out, I have a feeling that TDU2 might only be using 1 or 2 cores while games like GTAIV will make more use of all cores. Stay tuned for an update. "
great!  looking forward to hearing what you find out.
#41 Edited by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -

Ok I tried this with 5 games. Here are my results, this shows the approximate peaks:

Game title
Core 0 %
 Core 1 %
 Core 2 % Core 3 %
 Test Drive Unlimited 260
 Metro 2033
 Alien vs Predator
 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
 Blacklight: Tango Down
 Left 4 Dead 2

Battlefield Bad Company 2 was the only game that really pushed all 4 cores, some of the games seem to use 2 cores intensively and spread some load evenly over the remaining cores while Left 4 Dead 2 seem to put most of the load onto the first core and spread but the rest over 3 cores were still being used, idle is usually between 2 to 6%, but I always thought I would be seeing over 80% on all cores. So I thought I would look into it a bit further and found this post where a system using an Phenom X2 was tested as a dual core on a handful of games then unlocked and test again as a 4 core. I was surprised that only 2 out of 5 games showed an improvement on the 4 core set up, while the others were about the same or very slightly lower on the 4 core. Here's the site.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.