Should I buy a Titan?

• 54 results
#51 Posted by bybeach (4976 posts) -

I'm doing fine with 2 570 evga overclocks. I'll see how crysis 3 does when I finally buy it 2 to 6 months from now. I could not imagine anything till the 800 series....and even then probably won't be in a hurry.

#52 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@jace: Buy what you need when you need it isn't impulse buying. If you buy a 680, it'll fuckin' last you through this entire generation, because the stuff running in next gen consoles won't have any advanced features or any more power than that 680.

I wasn't saying the 800 series will a better choice, because no one has any fucking clue what the 800 series will actually be like. So if you want a PC right now, build a freaking PC right now. Shockingly you don't need the newest baddest video card to run modern games. So just get something that makes you happy now, and don't constantly worry about maximizing every fucking penny and spend all your time waiting around, because the wait will just make the purchase feel awesome for less time.

Impulse buying is just spending money whenever the fuck on useless shit. There's a difference between that and just buying what's available when you're buying, instead of spending months just to get a minor increase in performance. There are people out there that are still plenty happy with their 480's and 580's. I have a 680 and before that I'd have killed for a 480 or 580, and I'd still be stoked with my PC if that's what I had now.

This idea that you have to have the absolute perfectly timed computer build is silly. There are simply too many factors. You buy the video card you want, but you can't get the cool CPU coming in 6 months. Then you hear about a new video card architecture coming 3 months after that, and you'll never be happy until you have it.

Trust me, if you buy a 680 right now, you'll love it. I love mine, it's awesome. And it'll continue to be awesome. Even my shitty, falling apart 5770 did the trick for me up until I got my 680. It wasn't a very good experience if I wanted to play something like Metro 2033 or Witcher, but just about anything else was pretty great. Now, I totally rip games like Witcher 2 apart. Everything maxed with AA at 1920x1200 running smooth as a baby's ass. Truth is, the next generation of consoles will look better because of new techniques, not drastically more intensive techniques. And for those who are ok with SMAA or FXAA, even running without jaggies will be easy for the entire next generation of console ports.

If you want to wait for the next generation ok, sure. Assuming you know what that generation is going to be, what the performance is going to be like, sure. Go ahead. Wait a few months. We have no idea when the 700 series is coming, and there are as many signs pointing to it being awesome, but also coming in 6+ months from now, as it being a tick up and coming out in a month and a half.

If you keep waiting around and trying to create the perfect rig, you'll be less happy than if you just buy a really good PC and enjoy it now. If your choice is between a freakin' 680 and Titan, there is no bad option. Get two 680s, get one, get a titan, get three of em, and no matter what you'll run everything really awesome at max settings and with AA. Except ArmA 2. Maybe ArmA 3.

Or you can pansy around and fuckin' wait for the perfect deal and the perfect moment. If you need to watch your cash, then I can appreciate waiting for a good deal, if you can't normally afford a good PC. But if you can afford a 680 build, you don't need to worry about that. And when the time comes that you need more power? In a few years, buy a second 680/titan and give yourself a handy little boost.

#53 Edited by Jace (1093 posts) -

@jace:

If you keep waiting around and trying to create the perfect rig, you'll be less happy than if you just buy a really good PC and enjoy it now. If your choice is between a freakin' 680 and Titan, there is no bad option. Get two 680s, get one, get a titan, get three of em, and no matter what you'll run everything really awesome at max settings and with AA. Except ArmA 2. Maybe ArmA 3.

Or you can pansy around and fuckin' wait for the perfect deal and the perfect moment. If you need to watch your cash, then I can appreciate waiting for a good deal, if you can't normally afford a good PC. But if you can afford a 680 build, you don't need to worry about that. And when the time comes that you need more power? In a few years, buy a second 680/titan and give yourself a handy little boost.

The subtext of those two paragraphs is, " Only pay attention to how to effectively spend your money if you're tight on cash. Otherwise, FUCK ITTTT!!!!" Which, ironically, is the mindset of those who live paycheck to paycheck.

Look, I'm not about to get into a essay-writing pissing contest with you over graphics cards. I think people should wait for more information to make sure they get the most value for their dollar in all circumstances. And given how long the 600 series has been out, it's probably not the best time to buy. Especially since whatever the 7XX card is will be better than Kepler (The current 6-series chip) and thus a HUGE increase in performance will be likely as opposed to the minor increase from Titan.

It's the chip that matters, not the bad-ass names or numbers on the box.

You are more than welcome to have your own financial philosophies, but I am not a subscriber to them:

[Buy a 680 today and buy another card or be behind the curve in less than 365 days.
Because you can afford it, you should.]

Nah.

#54 Edited by Corvak (1158 posts) -

@jace: this. If you can, wait and see what AMD/Nvidia do in the next 12 months. The entire game industry is going to get a huge shakeup between now and then. AMD is the largest provider of custom GPUs for other devices....and console makers are their biggest customers.

Myself, i'm wondering if my old HD 5850 can stick it out til then, or if I should bite on AMD's game bundle package.

#55 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Don't let Crysis 3 be your only motivation. Seriously there's very little difference between medium/high and very high. Not worth it.

Also $1000 for a video card is completely nutts no matter how powerful it is.

This is my main reason for always buying mid-range components. It's like paying double the money for a 5% visual gain between high and whatever the max is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.