Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Should I get Windows 7 Full copy or the Upgrade?

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By darkgoth678

I like the fact that the upgrade is cheaper but I also like to have the full install CD's in case something happens. I currently have Vista Ultimate 64-bit. 

So then, if something happened and I needed to restore, I would have to install Vista ultimate, not activate it, and then restart the PC and install Windows 7?

Thnx for the input
    Avatar image for snoopeasystreet
    snoopeasystreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By snoopeasystreet

I'm sticking with the RC1 until February 2010. Once that expires, I'll probably get the full copy myself.

nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By nvmfst
    @snoopeasystreet: Well, it doesn't start restarting it self until the first of March.

Yeah, I'd recommend getting the full copy.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4  Edited By Cerza

Always get the full copy of Windows. NEVER buy the upgrade.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Insectecutor

Buy the full version. Upgrades are nothing but trouble, especially if you want to reinstall ever.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

I've been living off of OEM upgrade versions of Vista without problems (I've even been able to activate well more than one is supposed to be able to, with so many reinstalls). I got the upgrade to Windows 7 for $50... and nothing is going to beat that price.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By subject2change

Have an OEM Version of Vista and will buy an OEM Version of 7 most likely. Prefer not doing the upgrade method as I need a fresh install anyway. Kinda pissed that I bought a copy of Vista a year ago though...

Also there are Retail Copies, OEM Copies and Upgrade versions of the OS. OEM will be cheaper but will lock to your motherboard; you can always call up Microsoft to get another activation code if you upgrade or fry your motherboard just a hassle.

roylink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By roylink

if your going to get a new PC, always get the full version of a OS. Then do a clean install. IT will delete everything on your Hard drive but it easier to troubleshoot this way.

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eisen

I agree with others that the full version is the way to go.  Upgrade means you have to have a copy of Vista installed in order to do the upgrade option, which will cost you a lot of time if anything goes wrong.  If you have the money to spare go with the full version; otherwise, I would suggest making an image of a clean install for 7 once you use an upgrade so avoid the hassle of  installing vista for future use.  Backup software is a lot cheaper than buying the full version.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By subject2change

^ That and you'll eventually be able to slipstream most likely. As well I was told you can install Vista/XP without an install already using the upgrade disk just needed to swap i nthe VIsta/XP disk when prompted to or something. I would go OEM rather than retail personally but they aren't out yet and I am not paying 300 bucks for Windows 7 after I dropped 110 for Vista for a year and a half.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Wolverine
    @darkgoth678: Just buy the update because it is cheaper and if you have to reboot your PC you would still be able to get 7 on your computer, it would just be a pain in the ass.
    oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oDawg

Like Vista, Windows 7 Upgrades CAN BE USED FOR A FRESH/CLEAN  INSTALL.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13  Edited By mrhankey
    @darkgoth678:

You can buy Windows 7 Home Premium for $50 right now...what the hell are you waiting for?
    Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shadowsquire

From what I know of, there will only be one copy of the windows 7 disk. Because they are doing a true "upgrade anytime", all versions of windows will be on one disk. So reinstalling from the "upgrade" disk will be the same as any other disk, because they're all the same. Even if you can't reinstall with the upgrade, who cares? Just download/burn a copy of the install disk and use your legit key. Works the exact same as buying the install disk, but it's free. So I would definately say to get the upgrade. You can preorder it now for like half price.

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nixium
    @oDawg:  Could you please provide a link? I have been searching trying to confirm that.
    ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ahriman22

Full version, god knows how many times the Install CD has saved me for going crazy.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Player1
    @AndrewB said:
    " I've been living off of OEM upgrade versions of Vista without problems (I've even been able to activate well more than one is supposed to be able to, with so many reinstalls). I got the upgrade to Windows 7 for $50... and nothing is going to beat that price. "
    whered you get it for 50$?
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By AndrewB
    @Player1: Practically everywhere on the 'nets. Right now, a bunch of major retailers, both online and off, are offering Windows 7 pre-orders for $50 (Home Premium) and $100 (Professional). Try Amazon, Newegg, or your wherever you usually buy your computer software/hardware.
    Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Xelloss

I got upgrade and just do the workaround by installing with no key, and then run the install on that OS install.

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oDawg
    @Xelloss:@Xelloss said:
    " I got upgrade and just do the workaround by installing with no key, and then run the install on that OS install. "

Or once the first install is done, just click "register" and call it a day?  You don't need a copy of XP on the machine to use a Vista Upgrade disk, nor a Windows 7 upgrade disk.   [i have a vista upgrade disk, and it works great for clean installs, and i've read the same for win7]

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

So is 7 really worth it?

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Xelloss
    @oDawg said:
    " @Xelloss:@Xelloss said:
    " I got upgrade and just do the workaround by installing with no key, and then run the install on that OS install. "
    Or once the first install is done, just click "register" and call it a day?  You don't need a copy of XP on the machine to use a Vista Upgrade disk, nor a Windows 7 upgrade disk.   [i have a vista upgrade disk, and it works great for clean installs, and i've read the same for win7] "
    I have tired that, it would say that this license is for upgrade only and would not activate (unless I did another install), you are either lucky or have a retail key somehow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.