Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Should I keep my desktop?

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Poll Should I keep my desktop? (37 votes)

Your desktop will play games way better. 49%
    Your laptop is at least equal to your desktop, throw that old SOB out your 2nd floor window. 22%
    3rd choice for people who like choices that ultimately don't matter anyway. 30%

So I have an old ass PC that takes up a ton of room. It's an Intel Core 2 Quad (2.8 GHz?), 6GB DDR2 RAM, and a Nvidia 460 GTX. I got a new Mac Book in 2012 (2.7 GHz i7, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, and a Nvidia 650M GT) and I love it but the lack of games on OSX bums me out.

So I recently installed Windows 7 on my laptop to play games on there which left me with a dilemma, is my desktop any better then my laptop game playing wise? My desktop takes up so much room that if my laptop can play PC games just as well as my desktop then that space would be better dedicated to something else.

So should I ditch the desktop until I build a new one in a few years?

• 
    ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Move your icons to the shape of a chicken

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you're not going to upgrade your desktop than yea sell it on ebay or something.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I feel like you're in the best position to answer your own question here. Load up the same game on both machines, and let FRAPS (or something similar) tell you which machine is best. Your desktop may still be slightly superior, but heck if I know.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Shoot it with an AK.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By emprpngn

Test stuff out on both.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sooty

The desktop version of a GTX 460 is quite a lot faster than a 650M.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

Laptops aren't terribly good for PC gaming, so yeah, you should totally throw your rig right out the window and go play things in lower resolutions and with lower framerates. Makes total sense.

Serious answer: Why not test out the idea first? Unplug your desktop, put it in a closet, and use only your laptop for a month or so. If you're happy with the performance you're getting, then get rid of the desktop (after wiping it clean, of course). Keep in mind that your desktop is still OK for PC gaming, probably better than your laptop, so you might try to play something on your laptop that doesn't work on your desktop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.