Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Should i try another moba/arts?

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Raspharus

Well dota was nice while it lasted, but techies blew it for me(pun intented). Well it wasn't techies only, be he was the trigger that made me took a long break.

I was thinking of trying other mobas(preferably easier lol)... Hmm league seems nice but I couldn't get into it... Should I try again? There is something that rejects me from this game(tho I'm not sure what).

So in the end this thread has 3 topics:

1. Should I stick with league even though the impression was meh?
    2. Should I countinue playing mobas, or just quit it cause it's not worth it?
    3. If I should stick with mobas suggest me some titles
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

What does a game being "worth it" even mean? If you aren't having fun playing something, stop playing it. Take a break or pick up another hobby or something.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I dunno, play something you enjoy. I don't think League scratches the same itch as dota, so maybe thats not the best transition. Though honestly, dota is one of a kind. Give League another shot man! It's a great game in it's own right.

Another suggestion is to just take a break and come back later. I had a moba clear phase for about 6 months this year, and I'm now back in and enjoying them again.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was actually thinking about getting into Dota properly and finding a group to play with, but I keep seeing comments about Techies driving people away. What is it with that hero?

Also, anyone have opinions on Dawngate?

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikeeegeee

@therealnelsk: In regard to techies:

He's the newest hero released in Dota 2. As with all new hero releases, he saw a lot of play in the first few weeks. Picked in nearly every game you'd play. However, it's been about 3 weeks since his release, and I don't see him picked any more frequently than other heroes.

He can be annoying both on your team and on the opposing team. First, he's actually very difficult to play against competent opposition. So if someone on your team picks him, it's often a bad thing because most people don't play him well, resulting in a wasted opportunity and a hero that will more than likely feed. I mean, he has a suicide skill. He tends to die a lot.

Second, playing against a good techies can be a pain in the ass. His presence in the game can single handedly change the flow of the game, creating an ever present psychological mind-fuck. His main abilities involve placing invisible mines around the map. It is not uncommon for an unprepared player to take a step in one direction and then instantly die because they stepped on a Techies minefield. So, when playing against a good techies, people play differently. Where they might have previously wanted to go down a certain path, or take a trip to the shop to buy things, they may forgo that notion for fear of being instagibbed by invisible mines.

Fortunately, it's easy as fuck to counter Techies. For 900 gold (a relatively small amount of money, purchasable within the first 5-10 minutes of the game), you can purchase a gem of true sight which, when carried, will reveal all nearby invisible objects. Heroes, mines, etc. So all you really need to do is buy a gem before the 10 minute mark, put the gem on someone who can carry it well (a tanky hero who isn't likely to die and drop the gem), and proceed to detect and destroy all of techies mines, thereby completely neutering the hero. The longer you wait to get a gem, the more time Techies will have to stockpile minefields around the map. Yes, sentry wards are cheaper and achieve the same effect as a gem, but they are consumable and can end up costing far more than the gem in the long run. If you can manage to buy the gem and hold on to it for a significant period of time, the Techies on the other team is worthless.

Unfortunately, gems and sentry wards are probably not often purchased in lower brackets. They provide no stats bonuses, no buffs, no abilities; and I imagine most newcomers tend to avoid those items. So at those levels, I could see how a Techies who had read a basic guide on where to put minefields might completely destroy an opposing team.

TL;DR: The Techies hype has calmed down and he isn't played as much (Tinker, Void, Razor, Skywrath, Viper, Brew are picked the most in my games). When he is picked, he's very easily counterable, but it requires a concerted team effort to do so. He is hard to play well against a competent team.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikeeegeee Holy crap, thank you. That was way more than I expected and super helpful. Might actually jump in and give it a try.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell you guys can even suggest other competitive genres besides mobas, im ok with em.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Dawngate, its simplified even compared to LoL, though. Its 2 lanes and has a similar unlockable system as LoL, but theres a chance to get characters for free through how it distributes end game rewards. Its generally a much quicker game because most, "Shapers," don't have a resource to restrict skill use. If LoL isn't doing it for you, and you don't want to play Dota, this or Strife are a good choice. Strife is probably the closest balance between LoL and Dota there could possibly be.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started playing league super casually and not really taking it seriously. I'm now in the top 2% of NA players and logged god knows how many hours. If you stick with it, you'll probably like it. Neither League nor DOTA are known for love at first sight. You could try playing a simpler MOBA to see if you like the genera. I started in SC2 custom maps.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10 BisonHero  Online

Play Awesomenauts! It's barely a MOBA, but has the same basic levelling and pushing and creeps. And it has fighting game footsies once you get good enough at it.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Smite gets my vote. It's a fun action romp that is completely refreshing without straying too far from the fundamentals of the genre. You can play more traditional lane modes, or you can go for all out 5v5 Arena (which is what I do most of the time). Honestly, I think it's the best MOBA out there next to DOTA2. You can also purchase full access to the entire hero catalogue (effectively unlocking 100% of the 'playing' part of the game) for $30--a complete steal when you compare it to the pricing standards of the genre.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#12  Edited By Eder

@mikeeegeee: From the description you give he seems like Teemo from League of Legends. Very annoying champ but not impossible.

I second anyone recomending Smite, Awesomenauts or LoL of course. Also Super Monday Night combat was good!

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By therealnelsk
    @eder said:

@mikeeegeee: From the description you give he seems like Teemo from League of Legends. Very annoying champ but not impossible.

Agreed. From my inexperienced perspective, they seem very similar. Sounds like it can be shutdown effectively with the right play. Regardless, if you end up picking one up, mobas are always more enjoyable with other duders. Hit me up, i'll play any of them.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By cornbredx

When I was checking out DOTA just to see what the fuss was about (because I like to go outside my comfort zone with games so my opinion of them are my own) I played other MOBAs as well to get a sampling of what that genre is like. This is easier to do, admittedly, because these games tend to be free to play.

I found them all to basically be the same thing, and all of them were enjoyable to play. They all had potential for shitty other players, but for the most part, as a game, were perfectly fine and I get why they're popular. I even bought a few things in them to show my support.

I won't play them again, most likely. I feel I spent enough time with them to understand them and what I paid was fine for the amount of time that I spent playing them.

Check any MOBA that interests you, really. Fun is subjective. I did not see a difference between DOTA 2 and LOL other than it seems like LOL was easier to get into when not playing with assholes (which wasn't actually that common). DOTA 2 has a lot more complicated stuff going on that, if you don't know, you are technically playing it "wrong" and that's the real problem with the genre in general.

But ya, I don't really see a huge difference between DOTA 2 and LOL so I can't really say if you should play LOL. Play what you enjoy.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15 FinalDasa  Moderator

When I become 'blah' about a game or a genre I usually step away for awhile. Sometimes another genre will help cleanse the pallet or even just picking a Netflix show and spending my time that way leaves me refreshed for more video games.

Don't be afraid to just not play for awhile. Nothing says you have to play games to keep up with them.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I'd say delete it, even if it's you are powering through the stuff you don't like to get into what is good about this game, even that itself isn't any easy task to most gamers. It's more about your tolerance to what you can sustain, and even that would be good enough to write or talk about.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@raspharus: Hard to help you dude, if you don't give us some insight into what you liked about DOTA and why (besides Techies) you got bored of it.

If League is not for you, just take a break from DOTA and come back later. afaik in my opinion no other MOBA comes close to DOTA 2 in terms of quality.

The Techies mayhem will die down soon as it does with all new heroes.

@mikeeegeee: Nailed it man. Techies really aren't that big of a deal once you know what to do although I get why they buy people. I think last I looked their win rate was around ~43%, one of the lowest of any hero.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just try them all right? Not like most of them cost anything, you've got nothing to lose...

ShapeOfDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

third vote for smite. I've been having a ton of fun with it.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag hmm. Well as a support/semi-support/initiator player i loved making plays which require the element of surprise. Like blinking in with rubick stealing an ult, counterinitiating in a matter of seconds. Stuff like that. Nevertheless that's why my fav heroes are dark seer, windranger, and lately rubick.

What bothered me to no end was the dmg output. Contrarly to what league offers(early game low dmg >> late game high dmg) in dota you have the oposite(except for the carries which right click). So it was annoying to no end to be intrerupted on the verge of initiation, or gank or w/e by a lina that 2 shots you. For example when I discovered rubick i thought that he is one of the best heroes to play. But he is so squishy that you have to be VERY careful even after you initiate because you might die nevertheless. Dieing means less xp, less xp means lvl disatvantage and you need levels. Another one that bothered me were comebacks. Your team is winning. But being occupied with pushing you forgot about their carry which farmed for 30 mins. He gets out of the jungle and mops the floor with you.

All in all dota is a great game but it has it's big share of masochistic moments. All of these things are counterable in theory but I believe that in a match there are tons of factors that contribute possitively or negatively to the outcome.

Thnx for the replies I'll check the suggestions to see if I like them

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@raspharus:

So for you, the main appeal is ganking then? And You like to put opponents away early (i.e. comebacks are bad).

well that does help explain why techies are such an annoyance to you, probably mess some of your initiations.

Hmmm I'll have to think about what you might like then, I admit your answer really surprised me. I can't think of anything atm because I don't usually tend to pay attention to that aspects of the mechanics, but if I do I'll certainly chime in.

Oddly enough the first thing that springs to mind is Madden Football because of the playcalling, audibles, element of surprise there (and the ability of DBs to make a play on the ball for a turnover). But I don't know if you like sports.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: no i don't but it's not a problem. I have what to play(skyrim and the witcher 2). I was just searching for a different moba/competitive game

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"arts" is the best worst term I've ever heard.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

play smite, for the low low price of FREE

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.