Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Silent and Efficient PC Fans

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cbarnes86

I've had my PC for a little while now and am looking to start upgrading it. The video card will come closer to Christmas, but I really want some better case fans. Currently, I have 2 120mm and 1 140mm case fans and they get extremely loud when I play games. They are venting the air very well, it just gets very annoying. I was wanting the duder community's opinion on the best fans to buy that run very quiet while still venting the air very well. If you recommend water cooling, let me know how easy it is to install, as I've never messed with them before.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've had my PC for a little while now and am looking to start upgrading it. The video card will come closer to Christmas, but I really want some better case fans. Currently, I have 2 120mm and 1 140mm case fans and they get extremely loud when I play games. They are venting the air very well, it just gets very annoying. I was wanting the duder community's opinion on the best fans to buy that run very quiet while still venting the air very well. If you recommend water cooling, let me know how easy it is to install, as I've never messed with them before.

Good air coolers can be pretty quiet these days, take a look here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Fans

http://www.silentpcreview.com/140mm_Fan_Roundup2

I have a Kraken X40 closed loop on my CPU right now, it seems pretty good and is mostly silent. I can sometimes hear the pump briefly upon start up, but that noise is gone once I'm logged into Windows (about 25 seconds from boot). A little bit more mucking around was required to get it installed, but nothing crazy.

As for using watercooling to handle your case airflow? I have no idea. Hit up Lyod Case on Twitter, maybe.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Scampbell

Would have said Gentle Typhoon but as I'm currently having some issues with mine I'm not sure I would recommend them personally, though I guess a lot of other people like them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

A while ago I spent a lot of time creating the perfect "silent" rig and this what I ended up with. Those fans keep my mid-range system very quiet and stable (HD5770, Athlon II X3 460) without the need for software fanspeed control (which I hate).

Power-controlled (VGA, CPU) -- Enermax Cluster (120mm PWM)

http://www.amazon.com/Enermax-120mm-Cluster-Cooling-UCCL12N/dp/B00AK5UPEG

Not power-controlled (case and the power supply*) -- Scythe Slipstream 1200 @5V (via badass molex mod).

http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Slip-Stream-120mm-25mm/dp/B000W7NGWK/

*changing the power supply fan is a really dumb idea. I did it mostly as a proof of concept.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Also the bigger the fans, the less noise it produces generally. Because the bigger fans don't need to spin up as fast to move the same amount of air. But that's only if your case can support 200mm fans.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.