Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Silver Xbox 360 controller (w/ rotating D-Pad) on PC

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Andorski

I'm pretty sure that I'm in the wrong, but I wanted to make sure.

I'm trying to use the wireless SIlver Xbox 360 controller (with the rotating D-Pad) on my PC by plugging it through USB with the Charge & Play kit it comes with. I know that regular 360 controller only use the USB cable to charge its battery, but I was under the assumption that the Silver 360 controller could send data. The first time I plugged in the controller, Windows 7 automatically downloaded drivers for it, so I thought the controller was able to send data to my PC. Maybe it was downloading drivers just so it would be able to charge?

So yea, I quick answer to my problem would be helpful.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

You need the wireless receiver, the play and charge kit doesn't send any data, it just charges.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By nintendoeats

Like Will said, the C&P kit won't help you.

If you do decide to get an adapter, you're kind of locked into buying an official one which includes a controller. I've had terrible experiences with the third party ones that are out there. We're lucky that they even sell the real ones, because they stopped manufacturing them until very recently.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

I got a third party one off Dealextreme like three years ago, only issue I had was the USB cable shorting out after a couple years, just soldered on a new cable and it works fine. Although you did need to use modified drivers to get the dongle recognized.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By DystopiaX

@nintendoeats said:

Like Will said, the C&P kit won't help you.

If you do decide to get an adapter, you're kind of locked into buying an official one which includes a controller. I've had terrible experiences with the third party ones that are out there. We're lucky that they even sell the real ones, because they stopped manufacturing them until very recently.

I got a bootleg one off amazon, the included drivers didn't work but there are built in ones w/ Windows 7, just gotta search under the driver list. Works like a charm.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.