SLI : Two Different Vendors

#1 Posted by Snowfelhake (51 posts) -
#2 Posted by lacke (360 posts) -

Nope, shouldn't be any problems. If there are any problems then they are related to these specific cards.

#3 Posted by Snowfelhake (51 posts) -

@lacke: so cards specs wise it should be ok?

#4 Posted by lacke (360 posts) -

Yes.

If this is your first time running SLI you should know that the SLI bridge can cause graphic glitches. It's an easy fix however, all you have to do is adjust it. You can even do it while your PC is running.

#5 Posted by AlisterCat (5630 posts) -

Reading Nvidia's current SLI description it sounds like the only limiting factor between two cards would be memory. The system will go with the card with the least memory, but they're the same card.

#6 Posted by VACkillers (1074 posts) -

you can sli 2 completely vender cards from ati or nvidia it doesn't matter so long as the clock speeds and memory are the same... if they are both the stock speed GTX 580s you will be fine no worries

#7 Edited by envane (1164 posts) -

if you have any issues then it would be mismatched gpu/ram speeds , which can be fixed with 3rd party apps so you should be ok.. but @VACkillers: huh ? sli with ati and nvidia cards ? what is this crazyness , i hope you just meant that both sli and crossfire work with non identical cards

also get ready for way more HEAT!

#8 Edited by Devildoll (897 posts) -

the cards are running at slightly different clock frequency's. ( just read the specs in the links )

i'd think the drivers would just slow the faster card down a bit and make that work however.

#9 Posted by Bollard (5661 posts) -

Best of luck with Overclockers, if you're lucky they might not fuck you over.

#10 Posted by contagious (74 posts) -

Why would you not ask this before you ordered the card?

#11 Posted by VACkillers (1074 posts) -

yes sorry that was what i meant, that 2 different venders work with both ATI and Nvidia envane, sorry for the confusion there i was in a rush and missed out the word crossfire earlier...

#12 Posted by oneidwille (151 posts) -

I have 2 8800gts'eseses, and they are of two different vendors and clock speeds. They work at the lower one's clock and perform fine.

#13 Posted by EXTomar (4841 posts) -

Technically using two cards with the same chipset in SLI is possible but nvida doesn't guarantee smooth operation. I would suspect as long as both cards have the same memory size and clock speed then it should work fine. I've only ever used 2 of the exact same card in SLI.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.